• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing at the thrifts. Hit up Marshalls to get some underwear. No go, but scored this for $20. And it's my size! :slayer:

Saw a lot of brands here (VA) I've never seen in Marshalls/TJ Maxx before: Wilkes-Bashford, RLBL shirts & denim, RL Rugby, Jack Spade. I can't think of any stores in my city that sell these brands, so it's crazy to find them. Especially, Wilkes-Bashford.

Almost got a Jack Spade staple blue/white stripe OCBD cause it's short enough to wear untucked, but at $60 I balked. Also balked on Wilkes-Bashford house label chocolate moleskin pants at $100. Made in Italy, fabric by Miani, my size. I might go back and get them tomorrow. Anyone give me some insight on the quality of Wilkes-Bashford pants?

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude that's niiiice
dumb discussion. Love the Native Tongues Posse! However, rap/hip-hop/club funk/whateveah is all about the sound. You like the flow or you don't. Can't stand Jay-Z but I can appreciate his literary contributions to the oeuvre and a lot of others...but the fact that I can recognize, say, Ice Cube vs. Ice-T vs Jay-Z doesn't mean I can name song names. Rap is an acquired taste and if you say you like all rap u lyin. PS why do I love Tribe Called Quest and the Deee-lite stuff Q-Tip did but the Q-Tip album a couple years ago I think sucks rocks?
tribe is my favorite group of all time, native tongues forever! Are you talking about the Q-tip album "Renaissance" because I thought it was okay

Loudscout

Reaction score
I had what is for Central Washington an epic, epic day. There are only two thrifts here, so for me this is a homerun day. Anything that is available will be marked.

First off, a pair of herringbone PRL 100% wool trousers in my size NOT AVAILABLE.

Next up is an Oxxford Owentsia in 40R. AVAILABLE. Measurements on request if anyone is interested.

Then a Paul Stuart SC in 42R. Available. Measurements on request if anyone is interested.

Next is an EZ sport shirt, size Large. It has a subtle houndstooth pattern with hidden buttondown collars. 85% cotton, 15% cashmere. AVAILABLE.

After that I found a Harris Tweed Car Coat with insulated lining. There is a bit of separation at the bottom of the lining, but should be easily fixed. Size 46-50 from my guesstimation. Measurements on request if anyone is interested.

Finally the coup de grace. A PRL made by Corneliani SC in navy in my size. It has the tags, buttons and was basted shut before I brought it home and tried it on. It fits like a glove, has a moth hole on the back of the lapel, but is otherwise minty fresh. I am pumped.

These items are in addition to the few decent ties and jeans that I picked up today for personal wear that cannot be traded or bought (not to be worn together). I just had to share my elation at such an awesome score. Thanks guys!

jcubzzz

Reaction score
posting my finds for the last few weeks.

First up Zegna size 9D. Too small for me so PM if interested.

Brooks Brothers silk and cotton knit and Ermenegildo Zegna tie. Can I get an authenticity check on the tie?

V2 by versace double breasted jacket. Couldn't find the pants, oh well i'll still wear it.

Not really brag worthy but found some stuff i think is cool. Levis 501 jeans, North Face longsleeve, and wesc button up with tags.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tie appears to be real. What about the content/care tag on the small end? Is it missing the keeper?

Versace label looks off to me, but you'd need Spoo to be sure. Regardless it looks very dated based on the low, low gorge.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
^
I agree, about the funkiness. I would have expected something like this if it read something like 102' eye.
But it fits like a 38.
I haven't measured them out yet but the sleeves were a tad short for me.
48C is the standard EU designation for a 38S (well not really a 38 but close enough). You'll see the "C" on all Zegna and Canali short jackets/suits for "short"

ANYONE IN THE SEATTLE AREA THRIFTING TOMORROW - PM ME!
worship.gif

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Versace - If suit, grab. If jacket, pass if it's dull looking. If it's an FU jacket, than go with your gut. Could go either way.
Lorenzini has little resale value, as I've learned in the past. Graham for $35 is a toughie. Lots of embroideries and wild colors, grab. Dull, lackluster - leave it.

Thanks, man!

Deal is: I hit a bunch of consignment shops today plus a massively overpriced GW (everyone near Connecticut knows where I'm talking about). Amazing what kind of sticker shock you can develop after hitting exclusively thrifts for a few months. I saw so much good stuff. Zegna 7 fold. Kiton (7 fold, of course; a first in the wild for me). A half dozen Hermes. At least a dozen each Th. Pink and CT, mostly Sea Island or better. Another half dozen Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn orphans, then, at another store, another half dozen suits. Brooks Brothers made in England wings that had potential despite resoling and substantial age. Squares by Liberty of London. There was a beautiful recent HF brown plaid suit -- double vent, 3 roll 2, pick stitched, working cuffs -- that was half price and therefore justifiable for personal use, but it was just a hair too small (not to mention pleated). Damn shame. And then there was the Lorenzini (another first for me), the Graham and the Versace. But by far the sweetest, sweetest items were a pair of HF custom overcoats in brown and taupe. Word was that the consignor is a sales rep for the company in the area. He gets the stuff custom done, then consigns it and makes back his cost. These things were so awesome, and so my size: Single breast, velvet collar, peak lapel, pick stitching EVERYWHERE, ticket pocket. Probably reasonably priced for what they were, but I couldn't justify it. Damn shame, because I looked almost as good as Spoo in them. OK, well, except for the extra 40 pounds, the beat to **** AEs (as opposed to G&Gs) and the conspicuous absence of Tehrm Fehrd anywhere on my person.

I may go back for that Versace -- at least to take pics. It was at the same place as the Graham, which I'm regretting leaving, and the HF overcoats. Versace was peak lapel, single breast and dual vent. Looked shorter, so I suspect recent. I suspect it was just a jacket, because the top row at this place is mostly SCs, and it it was in among them. What say Spoo?

In the end I came home with (pics soon, I hope):
- 1 RLPL tie, purple with gold hunting horn "polka dot" design (temporarily unavailablle)
- 1 pair BB 1818 braces in navy with a white tail piece -- literally the only set of braces I've ever seen and liked. Left several others. (prolly available; don't wear 'em)
- 1 Kempson obviously bespoke shirt. **** cray. Can't even describe it, but the sleeves are a different color from the shirt. No idea whether I'll be able to move it, but it seemed to unique to pass (prolly available; wrong size, I think)
- 1 fall colored square, Italian silk, maker unknown
- 3 obviously bespoke white textured shirts, spread collar, pearl buttons. Need to measure, but looks in the 15.5 range. If that be your size, and you need awesome white shirts, get at me. These things are quite nice. No maker mark anywhere, buts a plain white hand-sewn in placket where the brand label usually goes. (obv. available)

The temptation to overpay buy for myself was pretty strong at a couple of points today, but I'm proud of myself that I resisted. If, however, I happen to sleep walk back to the store and get one of those two HF overcoats, I won't be broken up about it.

If anyone cares, I can try to go back and proxy later this weekend. Most of the decent shirts were in the 15-16 (size; price was mostly $25) range.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Interested in one of those white shirts if you get measurements :nodding:

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long day, went thrifting all day, gone from the house for 12 hours, hit 16 stores.

Let's start with the ties, all available

BB,BB,BB,Zegna,Hickey Freeman, Brioni

Then a couple shirts for Ebay, Ted Baker and Ben Sherman

BB 1818 Madison 46R Sport Coat, Probably Available

Then an interesting LL Bean Sport Coat, Available

An older Burberry's Sport Coat, appears to be about a 44, Available

Canali sport shirt, available

Paul Smith Shirt, available

Brioni Shirt, Available

4 Interesting shirts, and yes those labels are purple...maybe available

And then the Robert Talbott Collection, 11 in total, some probably available

How did I do for my first big thrifting trip?

If you are interested in anything, let me know and I can provide better pics.

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The local SVDP was having a 50% off suits and sportcoats Labor Day sale. Picked up this for $2.75. My size, unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads