The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codhead

codhead Senior member

I use one of these babies:

[​IMG]

Manufactured circa 1955 and still going strong. I bought mine at a car boot sale for £1, they sometimes appear on eBay for next to nothing but be warned, they are 220-240 volts

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Some outdoorsy stuff and some others odds and ends I've picked up this past week. It's been slim pickins for high end clothing.....

Unworn deadstock Browning duck camo chamois cloth shirt from the 80's. Size M. Too damn slim! :fu:

[​IMG]

Willis & Geiger Bush Cotton Poplin shirt

[​IMG]

Sierra Designs blue Gore Tex Parka. I'd say late 70's-early 80's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Zegna by Incotex chocolate brown cotton trousers. Double pleated. 36 x 31Available

Hook closure with button tab. Zip fly. Split curtain waistband.

Waist: 17 3/4" with 2 1/2" to let out
    Inseam: 31" with 1" to let out
    Cuffs: 1 3/4"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna by Incotex charcoal wool trousers. 35 x 32 Available

Hook closure with button tab. Zip fly. Split curtain waistband.

Waist: 17 1/2" with 2 1/2" to let out
    Inseam: 32" with 1" to let out
    Cuffs: 1 1/2"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marantz CD player

[​IMG]

Sanyo Projector

[​IMG]

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Eed advice pronto, boys. Kop or not: NWT Versace Collection jacket (possibly full suit) for $150. Lorenzini and Stephen Kempson shirts for $25. BB 1818 braces for $5. ARobert Graham for $35. ll to flip or proxy. Ot keepsies.

What say the masses?n

Edit: and a kiton tie for $65. Obv I'm in a higher priced are, and this stuff is torturing me b/c its all borderline. Or I want it for me and caynt affowd it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

4. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

The bag man striketh again (though on a much lower level).

Yesterday I dropped by the GW that I'll be establishing residency at due to proximity in a few weeks. Anyway it was just before closing, and I didn't have much time to do a complete sweep of the place. Walked past the pile, and I mean pile of bags and stuff in the back of the store when this little guy caught my eye.

[​IMG]
    Hello Mr. Leitz!!!
    [​IMG]
    For the non-photogs/camera nerds- E.Leitz = Ernst Leitz = Leica

Not a Billykirk by any means, but way stoked on this. Problem is, this sucker is dirty. As part of a costume shop's inventory, it was probably rented out on a lot of films. As you can see in the first picture, one of the snaps on the left is missing, but that's ok by me. They also seem to have retrofitted velcro tabs to the bag as well, which is pretty awesome since I'll hopefully make this a keeper/user for myself, and you can't see them with the flap closed.

How should I clean this thing? I can't exactly throw it in the washer the leather and all. Soap and brush in the sink?
    Also the strap is too damn short, considering various options to lengthen it so that I don't loose the awesomeness of the original.

5. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

I thought I might have hit some gold when I found three Burberry suits, all fitting (40R), but all three were fused. The pinstripes on the seat of one were actually missing as well. The stitching was there, but not the color. The other two had a high gorge, so meh. I didn't see anything that looked like a Hickey-Freeman tag inside, so I'm not sure who made this batch.

6. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

If only it were stocked, eh?

7. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Yeah no kidding man. All I want is a black m4-p or m6, well used and beat up, with a 35mm lens. I would run through a cornfield backwards/naked for one.

8. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Oh, is that all. :p

I haven't been active in quite a while, but my friends' cameras make me all :slayer: and :worship2:

Some aren't all that expensive, but are just fun to play with, like the Koni Omega Rapid M. I borrowed it to shoot a wedding, and I was really tempted to get one for myself.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Versace - If suit, grab. If jacket, pass if it's dull looking. If it's an FU jacket, than go with your gut. Could go either way.

Lorenzini has little resale value, as I've learned in the past. Graham for $35 is a toughie. Lots of embroideries and wild colors, grab. Dull, lackluster - leave it.

10. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I've never been great at rote memorization of song titles, but I could probably approximately name 30-40 songs by those specific artists. How many Company Flow, J Dilla, Busdriver, Pharcyde, Antipop Consortium, Digable Planets etc songs can you name off the top of your head? Probably none.

More than anything, I come from an understand of underground music, whether it be punk, metal, hardcore, noise, or hip hop. It just so happens that hip hop beats hit the mainstream sooner and more pervasively than John Wiese noise experiments.

However, you have artists like Johnny Jewel contributing to Oscar nominated films (Drive) so the underground does gets through in unexpected ways.

Hip hop is generally about "look-at-me" lyrics and spitting game about raping women will get people to look at you. Earl's 18, he's young and dumb.

Youth makes music exciting and generally introduces the freshest ideas. Period.

11. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Jackets and Suits today, all available for the time being.

Ted Baker, staple blue suit, dual vent, 2 button, flat front, Tagged 44R/W38
    Back of collar a bit grimy but should clean up nice.
    [​IMG]

Staple grey/charcoal Coppley suit, 3 button, unvented, single pleat. Zegna fabric. Tagged 42R/W36
    Back of collar a bit dirty but again should clean up nice.
    [​IMG]

Boss 3B SC, beautiful Loro Piana Wool/Cashmere, tagged 48C (not sure what C means)
    [​IMG]

Another Boss 3B SC, not as special as the other one, tagged 48C
    [​IMG]

Harry Rosen house brand SC, Made in Canada. Actually quite nice. Untagged but measures to about 42/43
    [​IMG]

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

"C" usually means short but the Boss labels are all funky. Does it fit like a 48 or a 38?

13. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

^
    I agree, about the funkiness. I would have expected something like this if it read something like 102' eye.
    But it fits like a 38.
    I haven't measured them out yet but the sleeves were a tad short for me.

14. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

yeah people mosh pretty hard actually a couple kids got concussions and one dude broke something, I don't really subscribe to the "no moshing at ska shows" rule. Even though the bands themselves try to enforce it, like at a phenomenauts show I was at, they stopped playing until people stopped moshing.

the maxis had a guy yelling faggot at them, so the lead singer called the kid a homophobic little shit and procceed to grope his other male band members, it was pretty funny.

that is so sick, my goal in life used to be a skateboard artist for nhs distrobution (indy, santa cruz, ect) and follow in the footsteps of jim phillips their long term artist who was the first to put graphics on skateboards.

15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

dude that's niiiice

dumb discussion. Love the Native Tongues Posse! However, rap/hip-hop/club funk/whateveah is all about the sound. You like the flow or you don't. Can't stand Jay-Z but I can appreciate his literary contributions to the oeuvre and a lot of others...but the fact that I can recognize, say, Ice Cube vs. Ice-T vs Jay-Z doesn't mean I can name song names. Rap is an acquired taste and if you say you like all rap u lyin. PS why do I love Tribe Called Quest and the Deee-lite stuff Q-Tip did but the Q-Tip album a couple years ago I think sucks rocks?

Open a new sponge. wet it with cold water. Squeeze all you can out of it. Twice. Wipe gently a dozen or so times until the fabric starts taking on some very light soak. Let dry. Repeat twice over the next 24 hours. I have more tricks if that doesn't work, PM me we can continue off line, but that solves 75% of tie spot issues I run into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.