1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Eazy,
    The quilted jacket is the perfect length to cover up the blazer. :nodding:

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I've been seriously thrifting for more than a year (throttling back now but at my peak, I used to average 30 :butbut: different stores each month) and not counting the dozen plus black shirts from JAB (bought :angry: new) that I am required to wear to work, I now have around 50 :embar: quality shirts in my size in the closet. Sometimes they're $5, sometimes $10 and sometimes they're $15. I guess it's the inconsistency that irks me but like I said, $9 for a BB shirt that sold for $50 at its cheapest is still a bargain that I could not pass up.
    :slayer:

Doing the math on my comment above, it works out to maybe one good shirt out of every seven stores. I can only imagine what the closet would look like if it was in LA. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

I like this Mad Men look

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

Thanks fellas, I'm stepping a little out of my comfort zone with this one, as the trousers are higher waisted than I normally wear, with means they actually sit on my waist. As apposed the low rise stuff I've been wearing for the past 6-7 years.

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Should I have left these Trafalgar braces? I went back and forth given the fraying and rumours of $100+ completed auctions and eventually snagged them as the low price was worth the risk.
    [​IMG]

SW&D Shirts:
    Rogues Gallery Linen/Cotton Shirt
    [​IMG]
    UNIS Madras
    [​IMG]
    Steven Alan
    [​IMG]

Pretty pleased with this pickup - Patagonia goose down jacket.
    [​IMG]

6. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Thats $$ on da Bay' if it isnt your size :slayer:

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

8. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

Yeah that Patagonia is awesome.

Hit up a Goodwill real quick today on my lunch break and snagged a really nice Vintage Banana Republic distressed leather bomber size 44. I've been finding a lot of coats lately, should probably flip them soon before the weather changes lol

9. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Eazy -- I like the look. If you're gonna rock the tie bar though, maybe a skinner tie would look a bit better? Completes the so-called "mad men" look in a more, uh, complete fashion. Just a thought.

Hooker -- Those Traf. braces will sell, but not at 100+ (or even close to that). I think they are the Hudson model (or earlier iteration, whatever it was called), and the straps are plain nylon. They retail at like 70, you'll get half that, probably pretty easily. The ones that sell for higher are the limited edition silk ones with some sort of pattern or theme. The numbers that Spoo was dropping were crazy and above retail, so I dunno what's going on there.

10. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Yeah I wasn't anticipating anywhere near $100 but figured if I start the auction at what I paid I'll still stand to make a few bucks.

11. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Wes, nice to see your Ricci haul paying off in a big way!

Decent haul today. Just hit one place. No pics yet - probably this weekend. Measurements this weekend, too.

HF for Saks Wool/Cashmere staple navy blazer
    J Press staple navy blazer
    PRL Made in USA suit in pretty much perfect condition (who makes these?)

Couple Faconable Jeans l/s shirts
    Bill's Khaki's shirt
    A couple other shirts I can't remember right now

Pringle l/s sweater polo
    Made in Scotland 100% cashmere sweater - can't remember name as it was not familiar
    Brooks Bros. Lambswool Sweater Made in Italy

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

I was thinking that too, but then I was trying to keep it relative in size to the lapels. Can't win em' all, I guess. :satisfied:

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

14. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

Some pick ups from a quick stop on the way home last night- all available

Santoni Loafers 11.5 D-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I usually leave Talbott ties behind, but this one seemed pretty interesting-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PRL big golf tie-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

those large scale novelty print ties are cool, i just have no idea how id wear it. Rocking the shit out of my pink drakes cashmere tie today though!

16. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Spent about 50 on vynils today but I can safely say i will never have to look through them again. Got every album I've wanted. Plus more.

Complete and I mean even live albums from The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Bob Dylan

Select albums from Tom Petty, Prince, Miles Davis, Def Leppard etc.

Evil Abed, other LA people pm me there were hundreds of copies

17. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

NICE!

18. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:wow:
    Wow, great finds! Love the patagonia jacket! :slayer:
    Whoa, deets? Was this at a thrift? Old store stock or did it look like someone's collection? Any obscure 60's/70's stuff or all pretty mainstream? I'd be willing to pay up for any off-the-wall stuff in good shape (Soft Machine, The Mothers, Captain Beefhart, Incredible String Band, Love, Caravan, and all the little 1-album bands from the era). Oh, and you may say you will never have to dig through the crates again, but you will. It's just like thrifting - an addiction. There will always be that album you don't even know exists or you discover an artist you didn't know about previously and then want to hunt down their discography. Trust me, it never ends! :laugh:

19. eazye

eazye Senior member

Damn dude! That's something I'm always hoping happens to me. No chance you want to go back and grab those Miles Davis, would you? :embar:

1 person likes this.
  20. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

I'm sure we've discussed this before but I wonder how many of us are record collectors as well. Guessing quite a few...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.