• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to Marshalls lately, so I decided to stop by looking for a pocketsquare. No luck, but I did find 500 zillion nice-ish things. The Brooks Brothers Fully Canvassed $1900 suits are still there for $500, but that's a bit spendy for me at the moment.

I did find something I'd be glad to proxy to a regular. 46 L tuxedo.

I don't think anything's wrong with it, though there might be a minor pull somewhere I didn't see (that's the only way this price makes sense to me).

7694157280_ddafd78be3.jpg
7694156828_2a8566c12c.jpg

I think it was $189 w/o tax.

Blatant Flipper question for SPOO or anyone else who could approve the purchase (don't look if these kinds of things piss you off):

7694158154_4124c77412.jpg

Good price for a good return? There were 6 or so of these in a variety of sizes and garishness (some were even solid colors!).

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this hat today also. anybody know this company? still made in USA? too small for me, but thought i'd see who here likes tuques. available

That hat is awesome! But if it's too small for you, it's probably way too small for me.

951socal

Reaction score
Not a bad day today

Salvatore Ferragamo tie
John Varvatos Star Usa Tie
Barneys new york tie
all made in italy

Patagonia Nylon swim trunks in orange

Maui Jim Sun glass case
Ray Ban sun glass case

jamiebryant

Reaction score
Picked up a bunch of stuff between yesterday and today. Got 2 questions for all of you though...

Question #1: SARTORIA CASTAGNIA, 2-piece Grey Suit, 2-button with Peak Lapels.
The lining on the cuffs had sweat/yellowing stains....and guess what...the crotch on the pants did too.
I mean, for $20, should I have picked it up?

Question #2: I swooped up a Brooks Brothers, Made in Italy, Glen Plaid Sport Coat...85% Wool/15% Cashmere...
Anyone know who makes the Italian stuff for them? and also, anyone have any idea what model this could be?...

951socal

Reaction score
Really love the maui jim case, shame i don't actually have a pair
I'm using the Ray ban case (its a black wayfarer case) for a pair of wayfarers i bought at nordstrom rak last month

ledude

Reaction score
Hi, all. Mostly lurker, though I've traded messages with some of you. I have an issue with an eBay customer, and I'd like some advice from those who have been around the block, if you don't mind.

I sold a pair of thrifted shoes, stamped size 9E. Shipped, received, fine. I get a message in my eBay inbox today saying that the condition is satisfactory and as advertised, and that the shoe does indeed bear a stamp saying size 9E, but that the owner owns several similar shoes and these ones are too small and too narrow. They're not 9E, he says, even though that's how they're marked.

How shall I handle this? Shall I ask for a return** and then refund the money? Can/should I say tough tacos, dude, you should've asked for measurements before bidding if you were unsure about size variation? Shall I ask him to take pictures of the shoes next to the ones he's comparing them to, in order to verify that this isn't just buyer's remorse with an excuse tacked on? The guy has a 150+ rating at 100%, if that matters.

Thanks, all, I'm fairly new to this game and I want to handle this well -- I don't want to screw with customer goodwill but I don't want to screw myself over, either.

**My return policy on the listing is this:

After receiving the item, contact seller within

Refund will be given as

Return shipping

14 days

Money back

Buyer pays return shipping

Return policy details

I am confident that the quality of this item is as described, but if after winning the item you feel that it has been truly misrepresented, please contact me so we can resolve the situation. I do my best to point out any flaws in words or in photos, but this item is used and is not guaranteed to otherwise be in pristine condition — in other words, I may miss something even though I do look very closely. I will be happy to reply to any questions, but please ask before bidding. I can't accept returns solely because the item turned out to be the wrong size.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blatant Flipper question for SPOO or anyone else who could approve the purchase (don't look if these kinds of things piss you off):

Good price for a good return? There were 6 or so of these in a variety of sizes and garishness (some were even solid colors!).

Interesting...I ran into one of these few weeks ago and the thread members convinced me it was a fake...It certainly does look it giving the tag looks to be cheaply made...But we'll let Spoo be the judge.

rayxlui

Reaction score

Diffusion line.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Hi, all. Mostly lurker, though I've traded messages with some of you. I have an issue with an eBay customer, and I'd like some advice from those who have been around the block, if you don't mind.

I sold a pair of thrifted shoes, stamped size 9E. Shipped, received, fine. I get a message in my eBay inbox today saying that the condition is satisfactory and as advertised, and that the shoe does indeed bear a stamp saying size 9E, but that the owner owns several similar shoes and these ones are too small and too narrow. They're not 9E, he says, even though that's how they're marked.

How shall I handle this? Shall I ask for a return** and then refund the money? Can/should I say tough tacos, dude, you should've asked for measurements before bidding if you were unsure about size variation? Shall I ask him to take pictures of the shoes next to the ones he's comparing them to, in order to verify that this isn't just buyer's remorse with an excuse tacked on? The guy has a 150+ rating at 100%, if that matters.

Thanks, all, I'm fairly new to this game and I want to handle this well -- I don't want to screw with customer goodwill but I don't want to screw myself over, either.

**My return policy on the listing is this:

After receiving the item, contact seller within

Refund will be given as

Return shipping

14 days

Money back

Buyer pays return shipping

Return policy details

I am confident that the quality of this item is as described, but if after winning the item you feel that it has been truly misrepresented, please contact me so we can resolve the situation. I do my best to point out any flaws in words or in photos, but this item is used and is not guaranteed to otherwise be in pristine condition — in other words, I may miss something even though I do look very closely. I will be happy to reply to any questions, but please ask before bidding. I can't accept returns solely because the item turned out to be the wrong size.
There is now a dedicated thread for ebay questions, tips and trick so we don't get off topic from finding Kittys

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...-tricks-problems-questions/0_100#post_5635779

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bunch of stuff between yesterday and today. Got 2 questions for all of you though...

Question #1: SARTORIA CASTAGNIA, 2-piece Grey Suit, 2-button with Peak Lapels.
The lining on the cuffs had sweat/yellowing stains....and guess what...the crotch on the pants did too.
I mean, for $20, should I have picked it up?

What size? Send it to me right now if it's a 38-40 S.

If the stains have any hope of coming out, pick that up immediately. People don't know Castangia as a name, but .... well, just ask Nataku, he'll school you.

And ask the store if you get a discount because it's stained. I got an eaten up Brioni SC from Goodwill for half off because it was damaged. It's pretty worked, but it was $3.

There was more at at TJ Maxx around the corner from my house (again, offering to proxy) ....

7694462654_6eba7c5704.jpg

$50 ... I should probably pick this one up to flip, right?

7694463054_88d73247e5.jpg

$65. Might go back for this myself (there were two), but I balked at the french cuffs.

Last edited:

bytor13

Reaction score
Hit a lot of stores today, but didn't find much.

NWT (?) Paul Stuart - L (AVAILABLE)

Also picked up a couple of ties, a non-bragworthy SC for myself, and a Boss suit for the 'bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads