• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say that is NOT an orphan. The weight looks too heavy for a suit. I think it can be worn just as it is. In fact, I've had SCs exactly like that one.
The first pic looks like the early stages of a crack, which leads me to believe that leather must be pretty dry. The powdery white around the crack indicates they were probably wet and improperly dried. If they were mine, I'd be reluctant to invest the $100+ required for a recraft in a shoe that far gone.

I would agree with this assessment of the shoes.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say that is NOT an orphan. The weight looks too heavy for a suit. I think it can be worn just as it is. In fact, I've had SCs exactly like that one.

+1, except I haven't owned a jacket like that. Doesn't look nearly smooth enough for me to relegate it to suiting only.

The first pic looks like the early stages of a crack, which leads me to believe that leather must be pretty dry. The powdery white around the crack indicates they were probably wet and improperly dried. If they were mine, I'd be reluctant to invest the $100+ required for a recraft in a shoe that far gone.

I'd say the important thing is to look at the soles and determine how long you have until that $100 recraft. If it is soon, don't do it (and from what I can see in the pics, I suspect soon). If on the other hand, the soles are good to go, threads not worn yet, I think the rest can be remedied with conditioning. Maybe not, but I've seen some pretty dry leather perk up after a good soak in lexol or AE conditioner/cleaner. The cut on the front is irrelevant unless it bothers you visually. The heels should be under $20 (I think I pay $12).

Check the soles.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That brings up my next question: What is you all's favorite conditioner for these ancient alligator and lizard skin shoes we're finding? I've tried a couple things and am not particularly happy with the results (and you can't really polish them -- or if you do, do you use a special polish? Mine don't take a shine)
I like to soak them in swamp water from the Everglades, then set them on a large rock in the sun to dry.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

There looks to be considerable water damage. Not worth the effort IMO. I picked up a pair of AE's with less damage than that and decided it wasn't worth the effort, even though I can't return them.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, just a couple things today, first up, some shell Nettletons. Size 11 AA/B split toes, fit me nicely.

Separated at birth?

You guys know by now, I tend to lean towards the weird stuff, especially blazers. So when I saw this, I thought it looked like something Don Draper would wear to a cocktail party. No maker tag and the best way I can describe it is, it looks like how a coconut fiber looks. Coincidentally, the buttons look like they might be made out of said nut. 100% silk, narrow lapels, dual vented, one button, and fits like a glove. Now what to pair it with.....besides a high-ball.

I've come across about 20 pieces of Woolrich that I thought was worth keeping, blazers, jackets and a bunch of sweaters. But this one takes the cake. Safari hunting jacket, size large, so available. Get at me.

Zegna Su Misura shirt, a first for me. I'm assuming custom, as there is no size tag. French cuffs, if this is something you would wear, pm me, as its too large for me.

A really neat orangeish/rust colored herringbone hat. Hand woven from Donegal Tweed by Kevin & Howlin. I really don't need any more hats so if someone wants this, it's yours. Size large.

And finally, can I be part of the cool Eddie Bauer x Ford canvas bag club? I know this was discussed awhile ago, but does anybody remember off the top of their head who makes this? They must have different levels of quality for these too, because I found another one two stores later that had the faux working straps on the side. As in, they snapped instead of actually buckled. Also, it was pretty beat up.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That brings up my next question: What is you all's favorite conditioner for these ancient alligator and lizard skin shoes we're finding? I've tried a couple things and am not particularly happy with the results (and you can't really polish them -- or if you do, do you use a special polish? Mine don't take a shine)

Well, I haven't used it because I don't have any yet, but Saphir makes this:

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-reptile-beauty-milk.html

46n2

Reaction score
Picked this up today. #6 is for da ladies right? MM is not something you see everyday.
smile.gif

Going to try once more to see if youz guyz with a size 8 foot want these Battistoni's

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And finally, can I be part of the cool Eddie Bauer x Ford canvas bag club? I know this was discussed awhile ago, but does anybody remember off the top of their head who makes this? They must have different levels of quality for these too, because I found another one two stores later that had the faux working straps on the side. As in, they snapped instead of actually buckled. Also, it was pretty beat up.

Mulholland Brothers

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 

There looks to be considerable water damage. Not worth the effort IMO. I picked up a pair of AE's with less damage than that and decided it wasn't worth the effort, even though I can't return them. 

What says water damage? I'm sure it would be obvious in person, but on my screen they just look dirty. (Maybe I should go find that microfiber cloth and clean my screen...):embar:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, glad I picked that up, looks like their **** is $$$$$$, not that it's going anywhere, except with me to up north Wisconsin. :D

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Love that bag!

Picked up some shoes today... will need to draw on the shoe experts when I get pics later. One is a pair of loafers with a sole only on heel and front of foot area :confused:

And also an ugly corneliani tie...

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you! :cheers:

Do you know if there were different levels for these bags? Like say, one came with an Explorer and one came with an Expedition? Because the other one I saw today was the exact same bag, but not nearly as nice as this one, quality wise.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love that bag!
Picked up some shoes today... will need to draw on the shoe experts when I get pics later. One is a pair of loafers with a sole only on heel and front of foot area :confused:
And also an ugly corneliani tie...

I can't wait to see these pictures. I'm not sure I know what that means (unless it means VERY ventilated arches).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads