The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Picked up 2 suits VTG Brooks Brothers for AAAC or ebay and also a BB Madison (needs a good dry cleaning), Also an ETRO shirt.

Left a lot of Brooks Brothers Slim Fits (I've been seeing a TON more of these), but at $5 bucks a pop just not worth it. That leads me to the real point of this post that I've been leaving SOOOO much more stuff on the racks then when I first started and was trying to flip every Brooks Brothers shirt I found. Call it snobby thrifting, but I hardly pick up any shirts anymore.

Nice Tie!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

If it wasn't for fear of leaving a Robert Graham behind, I don't think I'd search the shirt racks. But because I'm already searching them, I find it very hard to leave the nice ones behind.

3. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

TJ maxx in Midtown. I think I'm going back for that french cuff, too. The Marshalls I hit, which are always full of good stuff, are also ITP.

Oh, and this isn't a thrift find, but it is a father-in-law keeps-everything find (that's close enough right). And since we have a resident baseball card expert (no, it's not of the level find [it's not even a find, really] of the type that got us on the baseball subject in the first place, but it is pretty cool) ....

[​IMG]

Some are in not-so-great shape, but it's just a cool thing to see these cards. I mean, 61 and 62 Topps Mantles in good shape? Come on! Unfortunately, these aren't mine, and need to be returned to storage tomorrow (I think) .... perhaps minus one of the three Stan Musial and Ernie Banks cards.

4. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Stay away from Marietta/Sandy Springs!! Just kidding. The TJX on Cobb Pkwy is not great. The best thing I've found at the Marshall's there is some Peter Millar chinos. Pretty disappointing. The thrifting up that way is not great. Alpharetta is better. I went to the Junior League thrift shop on Howell Mill this afternoon. Pretty good stuff. I found several nice shirts. I found a near perfect BB Golden Fleece suit jacket that fit like a glove, but could not find the pants [​IMG]. Also, if you are familiar with local businesses, John Wieland apparently donated his entire suit collection from H. Stockton. All Southwick and Samuelsohn. I can't buy any more flipping material at the moment, but if you need some I would head over there. I will probably frequent this spot from now on. Great stuff.

5. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Tie finds from the past few months...

[​IMG]
    Better rendition of the green... I've already worn this one, diggin on the vintage AF... How vintage though?
    [​IMG]

Could it be... Legit?
    [​IMG]
    Really nice, heavy silk
    [​IMG]

Bueno? No bueno? It was the most inexpensive of the bunch... $1.99, so if it isn't real, oh well, I'll probably hold onto it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ok anyone heard of these?

Seems maybe I should have left this one? Oh well.
    [​IMG]

This one on the other hand...
    [​IMG]

Interesting fold construction right?
    [​IMG]

Oh hai!
    [​IMG]

Seaward and Stearn definitely available for some sort of cool trade... Same with Zodiac.

Couple o' these guys...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Makers and Merchants... No different Makers right? Ooh. Previous owner wore (once probably) it and was nice enough to leave the tag.
    [​IMG]

Last, but not least, this sweet old madderish number...
    [​IMG]
    Hey Ralphy
    [​IMG]

Bonus
    [​IMG]

If I recall, someone here digs seeing the old price tags like this intact right? Wes maybe?
    [​IMG]

Bloomies tag is half unsewn. Underneath, the handmade tag shares a secret message?
    [​IMG]

Hand stitchery... Looks like it needs some tightening.
    [​IMG]

One sick tie overall... If a bit trad for my usual tastes. Love the dusty look it gives off at the right angles.

No Brioni or Corneliani (or T&A, or Sulka for that matter), but for a minimal investment, a bit of fun and a few staples for the collection. Lemme know if you need any of them badly, otherwise they'll be living on my tie rack for now.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Defo not a good deal. EddieV is nuts i would have popped a cart full at $20 each, but never a million years for $79

7. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

From what I've read, crocks have an "integumentary sensory organ pore" on each scale where a small hair, like a cat's whisker, used to be, so a small hole should be visible on each. That doesn't look to be the case in the picture. That would leave 'gator, caiman, or stamped calf. If it's a cheap shoe, I'd guess stamped.

http://www.alligatorfur.com/alligator/croc.htm

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

The one TJX I hit up a couple times is on Barrett Pkwy - only found one decent tie there, and the Marshall's next door is the only one in Cobb / Cherokee I have found to carry anything worth pondering (apparently shops ITP have the good stuff). Thank you for the tip on the other shop - hadn't been there yet and might squeeze it in this weekend.

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Defo not a good deal. EddieV is nuts i would have popped a cart full at $20 each, but never a million years for $79
    +1 $20 is an easy flip (double $). Sold a used one for $35 + shipping but CRAZY at $79 http://cgi.ebay.com/VersaceCollection You do look at completed ebay auctions before asking......right? [​IMG]

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Don't waste your money on AE's recrafting service. The leather needs heavy duty conditioning, I would break out the mink oil. After a layer or two of that, some saddle soap to clean them, and clean up that torn leather with a little polish. Stick 'em on trees, maybe condition with something lighter like lexol, brush the hell out of 'em, polish. If you like how they look, get the heels done.

They'll never look pristine, but they have a decent chance of coming back for casual (or just less formal) wear with a healthy patina. They just need a weapons grade conditioning and cleaning, but do it yourself. There's a significant chance of failure, and you'll only be out a buck or two in depleted shoe care supplies rather than out $100 if they don't come back. Doesn't hurt to try.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Here's my stuff for the day...

Shooz for VLSI... Pretty nice for Cole Haan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 34 x 30 BB cords from lunch... available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a nice Prada shirt tonight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Oh. Still not a bad choice but I did some googling and found stuff like this.

Do's:

1. Try a summery sundress or knit dress. Bright prints and colors are perfectly acceptable for a morning wedding (especially during warmer months). If it is spring, then bring a sweater or wrap.
    2. Try an a-line or full skirt with a blouse, or a jacket and skirt combo. Again, bright colors or solids would be appropriate, and this will work year-round.
    3. If you don't like wearing skirts or dresses, a suit would be appropriate, though "fancying it up" with a brightly colored top or a fun scarf would be nice.
    4. Dresss pants with a blouse and/or jacket would be fine as well, if you don't like the "matchy-matchy" look of a suit.

Don'ts:

1. No flip-flops. Flat sandals or low heels are appropriate, but be classy!
    2. Nothing too short or too tight. You don't want to distract from the bride.
    3. Avoid wearing all black (or all white, for that matter). A black dress is just fine today, but snazz it up with something colorful (it could even be your shoes!)

13. tben

tben Senior member

^^Tben wants.

I am sorry for what I am going to do to you all later...

14. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I come here, I can get croc anatomy and women's clothing pointers. What a thread.

Didn't buy a thing today, just looked at a bunch of expensive consignment shop shoes, so no bragging pics.

15. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Good choice, Nat. What size are the shoes? The lady is a size 9 C and thinks those are cuuuuuute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.