• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
Apparently, according to the Labels thread, I accidentally bought a fully canvased Brioni sport coat yesterday. I saw the Made in Italy tag but no other indicators of the maker and did a preliminary pinch test without really knowing what a canvased jacket felt like, but knew I could feel a third layer and assumed that meant canvased. Tried it on and it fits well, other than the mid section needs to be brought in a good bit. So for $4 I figured it was a steal no matter the brand name. Can't wait to get it tailored. Patch pockets, metal, shiny, and gold colored buttons, and the true color is a navy, closest to the second photo. If anyone has other info on the jacket, like the estimated year it was made, or any other cool information, I'd appreciate knowing something about it. I really don't know much about Brioni, other than it's higher end and Italian.

That's definitely Brioni, so congrats
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. Brioni is definitely one of the premier makers in the world. It doesn't get a whole lot better than finding one on accident for $4. As far as age, it looks a little bit older, but not that old. The two button sleeves were more popular in the 90s I think, and that fabric tag isn't used anymore. How many vents are on it? If its side vented, then its an amazing find and who cares how old it is, but unvented jackets are definitely less popular now. Either way its a great find. Keep on listening to that spidey sense!

EDIT: Oh and make sure to look at the back of the buttons for markings. Its happened before where a guy picked up a blazer with gold buttons. Just don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

heathenist

Reaction score
The golden color has seemed to rub off in some spots leaving a silver mirror like finish behind it, and there don't appear to be any markings on the backs.

And it's center vented, sorry, should have included that in the original post.

I feel like thrifting has been ruined for me now, like, there is nowhere to go but down and any other find will seem so insignificant. Somehow, I'm okay with that.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a nice jacket, a bit dated but a staple piece. Probably has a real value of like 70 or bucks. There are definitely much cooler/more valuable things to be found, just gotta embrace the hunt.

You post on the B9Board, no?

heathenist

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a nice jacket, a bit dated but a staple piece. Probably has a real value of like 70 or bucks. There are definitely much cooler/more valuable things to be found, just gotta embrace the hunt.
You post on the B9Board, no?

Yep, who are you?

And I've never found anything of real quality in my thrift store shopping, I'm lucky to find something that isn't synthetic and in my size, let alone something that isn't department store crap. I guess I just need to learn better places to hunt and know what to look for.

steveoly

Reaction score

The golden color has seemed to rub off in some spots leaving a silver mirror like finish behind it, and there don't appear to be any markings on the backs.

And it's center vented, sorry, should have included that in the original post.

I feel like thrifting has been ruined for me now, like, there is nowhere to go but down and any other find will seem so insignificant.  Somehow, I'm okay with that.

Nice score. I gotta be honest, from the pics it doesn't look dated to me. It looks like it fits well - just swap out the buttons for smoked or white MOP buttons. Those and the patch pockets will give it a nice, casual look. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a center vent.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep, who are you?

And I've never found anything of real quality in my thrift store shopping, I'm lucky to find something that isn't synthetic and in my size, let alone something that isn't department store crap.  I guess I just need to learn better places to hunt and know what to look for.

I posted over there for a long time as user "Hotwetnast"

I think I made a recommendation to you about a Filson bag, once upon a time.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
eBay rant, read at your own risk:

I just received a question about a pair of Prada sneakers that asked if they're real.

I replied that yes, they're real but used. He then asked in broken German if we'll send to his EU country and I asked which country (even though I could have guessed).

He said Romania (surprise!). I told him I'm sorry, but I only ship to Germany right now (and a few other countries), it's cheaper, faster and easier. Thanks anyway.

He bought the shoes and paid immediately.

So, now do I have to open a case if he doesn't voluntarily retract it to get my fees back and have them relisted?

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Romania an EU black hole or something?

I would go through the appropriate channels to cancel the auction and refund him as you don't ship to his country, as you mentioned in "messages."

I think you can block buyers by country, try googling it

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
eBay rant, read at your own risk:
I just received a question about a pair of Prada sneakers that asked if they're real.

I replied that yes, they're real but used. He then asked in broken German if we'll send to his EU country and I asked which country (even though I could have guessed).

He said Romania (surprise!). I told him I'm sorry, but I only ship to Germany right now (and a few other countries), it's cheaper, faster and easier. Thanks anyway.

He bought the shoes and paid immediately.

So, now do I have to open a case if he doesn't voluntarily retract it to get my fees back and have them relisted?
In your ebay listing, did you say you only ship to certain countries? Here in the US ebay site it lets your limit which countries you ship to (or dont ship to). If you didnt list that you would ship to his country, then just give ebay a call and ask. They are usually pretty helpful and will at least put a note on your account so when you call back (after the idiot does not agree to cancel the transaction) you will get your final fees back. If you are dead set against shipping to him, refund his money asap after you speak to ebay.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this episode of House Hunters International where this biner from the UK was looking for a house in Romania. That country looks like a **** on a ****.

heathenist

Reaction score
Nice score. I gotta be honest, from the pics it doesn't look dated to me. It looks like it fits well - just swap out the buttons for smoked or white MOP buttons. Those and the patch pockets will give it a nice, casual look. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a center vent.

I agree, I don't think it looks too dated, the lapels may be a bit wide for my preference/slender frame, but nothing that's really off-putting. I actually quite like a center vent, I guess I prefer side vents, but not to a great extent.

Examples of good buttons/sources to buy?
I posted over there for a long time as user "Hotwetnast"
I think I made a recommendation to you about a Filson bag, once upon a time.

No ****! I ended up getting that Filson Original Briefcase btw, and I'm in love with it. I've since recommended it to a handful of other posters who ended up buying it and thanked me for the recommendation. So thanks for the heads up, such a great bag.
Maybe, but you're never going to be okay paying retail again.

I've never been okay with paying retail.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Is Romania an EU black hole or something?

I would go through the appropriate channels to cancel the auction and refund him as you don't ship to his country, as you mentioned in "messages."

I think you can block buyers by country, try googling it

In your ebay listing, did you say you only ship to certain countries? Here in the US ebay site it lets your limit which countries you ship to (or dont ship to). If you didnt list that you would ship to his country, then just give ebay a call and ask. They are usually pretty helpful and will at least put a note on your account so when you call back (after the idiot does not agree to cancel the transaction) you will get your final fees back. If you are dead set against shipping to him, refund his money asap after you speak to ebay.

I saw this episode of House Hunters International where this biner from the UK was looking for a house in Romania. That country looks like a **** on a ****.

Thanks for all of the help!

I did list countries that I ship in the listing, I unchecked a lot of them.

Romania, and I don't mean offense, is well known for scams, gypsies and organized crime. I have little interest in sending anything to either Romania or Bulgaria (again, no offense intended).

The twist that has developed is that they have a registered German PayPal address. I googled it and it looks legit. They have 24 feedbacks to their username and they buy Gucci, Prada and D&G. I'm just afraid the very real shoes will arrive and they'll file a claim.

I might just gamble on this one. It's not a lot of money and best case scenario is that it all works out. Thanks for all of the helpful advice, I'm still encountering new problems here and there and you guys are quite the resource.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pics or it didn't happen, I know. So I will follow up with pics tomorrow.
But I just can't wait, because I got me one of these:

Wife's been after me for one. Literally sitting there next to the register. Wasn't cheap, but it will pay dividends in other ways.
Also, my local was having half price day. 5 pairs of Zanella platinum unicorns (in various state of disrepair / stanky-ness; hope dry cleaning will address) plus 1 Talbott square in blue paisley dot (hand rolled edges) plus 2 wool knit ties plus 1 Scabal pret a porter cotton seersucker-esque stripe jacket (stained to hell, but for what I paid, worth the risk if my dry cleaner can get it clean) plus 1 J Crew unstructured linen blazer plus various other home goods-y things.
Oh, and bigger guys (XXL) who like Vineyard Vines: Get at me. I've got a nice blue/white "whale" shirt (that's what the shirt tag says it's called, not some snarky reference to the size)

I F'd up and left one of these a week ago. It was priced at $55, but I'd just bought one for $75 to replace the one my wife has. Just sold the old one, which had a smaller motor and a less-groovy splash guard, for $100 on CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads