1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I don't wear braces often, but I needed a new pair for black tie stuff. For my wife (and my) birthday in November, I promised her a Viennese ball. They're all white tie with a black tie minimum, so I had to get a few things together. Low light + iPhone = navy braces :confused: They're definitely black.

On a somber note, my thoughts go out to anyone in the Connecticut area impacted by the recent tragedy.

2. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Hilarious. Next time, just say "yes it's been posted here before" instead of attempting to be witty.

3. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

haha, that is a good point. In Florida, jackets often come off pretty quick at an event. We had a COLD front today. Low 60's...haha

4. HansderHund

I'm jealous, we're at -2C right now.

Today I had a guy at a shop call me a "classy guy" and complimented my briefcase. I thanked him and noticed his cracked Sambas. He continued, "I would guess that it's a Salvatore Ferragamo briefcase." I was a bit surprised and said "No, it's a Porsche Design." He said "Ahh, I knew it looked expensive. I still have a couple of Ferragamos at home, still in their protective bags. I should get rid of them soon." I really wanted to tell him to just give them to me. I'm still not sure if he is just some sort of eccentric wealthy guy or what, but I've met him before....he has tons of antiques and invited me to take a look before his next sale. He's definitely a bit odd, but interesting nonetheless.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I enjoyed being in Ireland and being able to just grab and try on samples from every brand- wound up with Hanly, Hanna had too full a cut for me, and the bill of their slim fit looked weirdly long to me. There were a couple others too, but they were mostly too full. The Hanly was a good bit fuller than Hanna's slimmer one, but it was all in proportion to my eye.

Pendleton things generally sell well, though I haven't tested that on a tie. And while I have one I could try it with, I'm not gonna, it's mine.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Wait...did we see a pic of that bridge coat yet and I missed it?

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I've found a few pairs of To Boot NYs before, but never with a NY street map on the soles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. HansderHund

I honestly haven't posted one, but I can add a quick (and terrible quality) picture from the last week or so. I'll try to get a better picture, but I have to say that this coat has been a gift from above! Thanks again, Wes!

[​IMG]

9. Randy

Randy Senior member

10. DanM

DanM Senior member

Worked late every day this week on a huge project, only had a few minutes each day to thrift. How'd I do?

A few things for me - Aquascutum argyle sweater tagged medium, fits like a large. A couple of Brooks 346 merino polos.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Not thrifted, but just came in the mail today - my Florsheim shells are going to get the TLC they deserve:

[​IMG]

A Goodwill close to my work has been turning up Italian sportcoats of late. Quite a surprise, given that its in the middle of nowhere. Zanella, Canali, and Luigi Bianci Mantova. All picked up today in a 10 minute stop on my birthday. Thanks thrift gods.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the best piece of all....

Thrifted for the white elephant gift exchange. Great gag for 99 cents.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Randy

Randy Senior member

Great haul! I love the Aquascutum sweater.

12. tben

tben Senior member

I just received a 15lb box from Ian. Holy Crap. Trade with this guy. I was expecting a pair of selvage denim and received a jacket a sweater a shirt and two pairs of shoes?! Thanks bro! [​IMG]

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Difficult news out of Connecticut today.

[​IMG]

14. flatspotting

flatspotting Senior member

:(

Tragedy to say the least.

15. HansderHund

Nice, but at one of my first thrifts in the US I thrifted these.... [​IMG] :happy: Still, a great gag gift!

16. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I had to run 20 miles south today and stopped by one of my first ever thrift locations for the first time in weeks. As I continue to search for raw denim, I keep finding more and more unusual Levis.

Are these the Levis for which I am looking? (Not Big E, though)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also founds some sick nice chinos.
    [​IMG]

Nothing available today since everything fits although last night, I looked at a like new J. Crew dark olive, small wale corduroy sport coat, single vent with surgeon cuffs. Size XL. I can swing by in the morning if anyone is interested.

17. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

[​IMG] btw check your pms

so today I had the best mexican food of my life and popped my brioni cherry

[​IMG]

contrast collar and cuff
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    smoked mops
    [​IMG]

best part is it still had the collar stays!
    [​IMG]
    size 16.5 or large with some short french cuff sleeves like 33 or something

also probably made a stupid pass on this zenga someone tell me if I should pick it up....
    label looked old

[​IMG]
    but for a db styling was recent and it had the whole suit, it is a 6 x 2 with a medium gorge dual vents and flat front pants
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. troika

troika Senior member

Nope sorry dude...regular 501s from department stores

19. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

But I think the XX means they are STF. If they are made in USA and have a button fly they are a nicer pair of department store jeans. Not the worst.

20. troika

troika Senior member

The XX on the tag is just a throwback, it means nothing unless it's next to the number name such as 501XX
    [​IMG]

Those aren't selvedge, so not made in USA. Most likely Mexico. Not worth a lot, sorry Dig. Nice if they fit you well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.