• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No finds for me recently, but I do have a "thrifting" question.

Airline miles. Do any of you collect Delta miles, hunt through blogs to find deals, buy stuff retail just to get miles and then sell the wares on ebay, etc. Anybody?

I need to get in on that and am looking for tips or Internet haunts to frequent.

It's a pain and a strain on the wallet when you live in Atlanta, your parents live in Idaho and your wife wants to take a vacation to Germany next fall.

That's kind of thrifting, right?

http://manvsdebt.com/travel-hacking-for-noobs/

DeadBoy

Reaction score
It's a pain and a strain on the wallet when you live in Atlanta, your parents live in Idaho and your wife wants to take a vacation to Germany next fall.

Hey, I'm going there in the fall too! Already scoped out the thrifts in Berlin.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No finds for me recently, but I do have a "thrifting" question.

Airline miles. Do any of you collect Delta miles, hunt through blogs to find deals, buy stuff retail just to get miles and then sell the wares on ebay, etc. Anybody?

I need to get in on that and am looking for tips or Internet haunts to frequent.

That's kind of thrifting, right?

I collect the Coke rewards points, since I drink gallons of Diet Coke (and some Dasani water and Powerade which also have Coke points). I used to enter the points online, then sell the gift card electronic codes (i.e.: get a $50 Nike e-gift card, sell the code on eBay for $45). Took too much time to enter the Coke points online so now I have a lady that buys the caps & package codes from me directly when I have a pile saved up.
I'd definitely say it's being thrifty - stuff I used to throw in the trash, I now save and get $ for.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also picked up these BEETHOVEN speakers,cant find anything on them .but i do know this,they blow every speaker i have ever had out of the water,deeeeeeeeeeeeep rich bass for such a small speaker.anybody ever hear of these?
$10 bucks real walnut cabs.

Never heard of a manufacturer named Beethoven...but that doesn't mean much as most of the speakers I am / was into were from the 60's and 70's. Whenever I find speakers I don't know anything about, I poke around on audiokarma.org (gotta sign up to search / ask questions). Pretty helpful folks over there, with a wealth of knowledge.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
TM Lewin ties: I've read around SF, and there's 50-50 pro-con sentiment.

Do you guys get them when you see them, or pass? Is it one of those "nice to wear if it's a good pattern and the right width...but can't flip to save one's life?" Borderline call?

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys get them when you see them, or pass? Is it one of those "nice to wear if it's a good pattern and the right width...but can't flip to save one's life?" Borderline call?

not flip worthy, good for personal use, if you are so inclined

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I collect the Coke rewards points, since I drink gallons of Diet Coke (and some Dasani water and Powerade which also have Coke points). I used to enter the points online, then sell the gift card electronic codes (i.e.: get a $50 Nike e-gift card, sell the code on eBay for $45). Took too much time to enter the Coke points online so now I have a lady that buys the caps & package codes from me directly when I have a pile saved up.
I'd definitely say it's being thrifty - stuff I used to throw in the trash, I now save and get $ for.

Haha! I have my daughter enter the codes for me. It's really annoying that you can only put in so many per week though. You can really sell those Nike e-gift cards for $45? That might be worth looking into since I have so many points built up.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I love the one Lewin I brought home. Garish red and purple thing with very very nice silk, perfect thickness. Fringe brand for us, I guess. I like Rivetz of Boston, too, quality ties, I see a lot around here. They have some pedigree: Dude named Lauren designed ties for Rivetz back in the day. Selling Rivetz ties, however, would probably be less lucrative than selling J Garcia ties. IF they get any interest at all.

:spam: PSA: I also have a NWT Barbour size L Ashby on B&S I need to move (link in sig). PM me if you want it for 25% less and hell I'll even foot the shipping. This thing is the balls (I am keeping another for myself I really should move for cashflow purposes) and I would love to share the spoils of thrift/discount store bounty with one of youse. Who doesn't need one of these for fall?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha! I have my daughter enter the codes for me. It's really annoying that you can only put in so many per week though. You can really sell those Nike e-gift cards for $45? That might be worth looking into since I have so many points built up.
When I was a restaurant manager, I use to sell $50 gift cards to the restaurant online for $55 to $60 at auction. People who did not live in the area could purchase them as gifts without having to travel to get one. Of course they could have just called the store and we would have sent it to them, at cost.

goneAWOL

Reaction score

I've found that any clothing or accessories by TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt is not really worth trying to flip. Its always disappointing, because their stuff is pretty decent quality and great style. I found a really nice Charles Tyrwhitt blazer that took me forever to sell, and I only made a small profit. In fact, it looks like you could buy a TM Lewin suit on ebay for less than $75.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's why I quit entering the codes online - took me too long and if you let it slide you end up with more codes than you could possibly enter (hit the max per week and have more codes saved up; snowball effect). Yes, I sold them for $45 up to $48 and zero shipping since it's an electronic code. Easy peasy, and people bought them in less than 24 hours to save a few bucks.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've found that any clothing or accessories by TM Lewin and Charles Tyrwhitt is not really worth trying to flip.  Its always disappointing, because their stuff is pretty decent quality and great style.  I found a really nice Charles Tyrwhitt blazer that took me forever to sell, and I only made a small profit.  In fact, it looks like you could buy a TM Lewin suit on ebay for less than $75. 

I picked up a few Lewin shirts before I knew better. Can't move them. It's a shame they dont fit because they're really nice and I would definitely keep them.

Also found a recentish zegna shirt in my closet while.taking pictures last night. Holy hell that thing is nice.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I found a few things today and I don't know what will be available as they all (kind of) fit me. If you're interested in anything except the glasses, send me a PM and I'll eventually let you know in the next week whether it's up for grabs.

First up is a vintage pair of Bausch and Lomb Ray-Bans. They're the original Wayfarer 5024. I was thrilled to see them and I knew what they were before I had them in my hands. I don't know how to date B&L Ray-Bans, so anyone's guess (my guess is '80s?). Not available.

Mother of pearl (I think) tie clip.

Hugo Boss cotton jacket. Two button with fabric made in Italy. Jacket is made in Germany. It's a bit tight on me, haven't decided if I can make it work, but it should be around a US 36

Gritti by Ermenegildo Zegna. I know this isn't a fan favorite around here (also see above), but it is made in Italy and appears to be of nice quality. Even the buttons are stamped made in Italy. Peaked lapel, double breasted. Any reason I should keep this??

Someone donated their collection of blackwatch and, ironically enough, mine tripled. I found one of these a couple of months ago, so I honestly can't justify keeping this one. The sleeves do fit really well, though. Double vents and a ticket pocket.

This one is great. It was made by a famous costume designer/tailor in Vienna. It is completely hand made including hand stitched button holes (my favorite thing). Really cool and well made.

heathenist

Reaction score
Apparently, according to the Labels thread, I accidentally bought a fully canvased Brioni sport coat yesterday. I saw the Made in Italy tag but no other indicators of the maker and did a preliminary pinch test without really knowing what a canvased jacket felt like, but knew I could feel a third layer and assumed that meant canvased. Tried it on and it fits well, other than the mid section needs to be brought in a good bit. So for $4 I figured it was a steal no matter the brand name. Can't wait to get it tailored. Patch pockets, metal, shiny, and gold colored buttons, and the true color is a navy, closest to the second photo. If anyone has other info on the jacket, like the estimated year it was made, or any other cool information, I'd appreciate knowing something about it. I really don't know much about Brioni, other than it's higher end and Italian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads