• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I run across these type guys (ladies) all the time. Most of them are college kids with eyes bigger then their wallets. They collect hundreds of items yet dont understand the principal of inventory turnover.

It's a lesson I'm quickly learning :teach:

chiron

Reaction score
It's a lesson I'm quickly learning
teacha.gif

Let's hope they don't stumble across this thread.

I think a lot of us on this thread have stagnant inventory. Items that should have been put on sale a long time ago. Thats why what Spoo is offering makes sense. Outsource the transaction...

Did someone say Outsourced?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of what I have is small dollar items, such as shirts, though, which don't make sense to send out :( I need to find one of those consigners that takes PRL and JCrew or whatever else though. I'll take small margins if it's steady and I'm already in the store pulling the good stuff too.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of us on this thread have stagnant inventory. Items that should have been put on sale a long time ago. Thats why what Spoo is offering makes sense. Outsource the transaction...

Did someone say Outsourced?

I would of had a high inventory turnover rate had Ebay lifted my limits due to some technical problems. It's been 3 week! Their customer reps. and the tech teams are really slow to fix my account.
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm placing a thrift ban on myself until I get this issue resolved. Yeah, right, like that would work.

Last edited:

chiron

Reaction score
A lot of what I have is small dollar items, such as shirts, though, which don't make sense to send out
frown.gif
I need to find one of those consigners that takes PRL and JCrew or whatever else though. I'll take small margins if it's steady and I'm already in the store pulling the good stuff too.

Or you can sell in lots on the Bay. This is an efficient way to move large amounts of 'like' inventory. Less work then doing 4 or 5 separate listings and the sale price is usually higher (per item) vs individual sale. If you factor in the time to list , take pictures and mail its very efficient.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you can sell in lots on the Bay. This is an efficient way to move large amounts of 'like' inventory. Less work then doing 4 or 5 separate listings and the sale price is usually higher (per item) vs individual sale. If you factor in the time to list , take pictures and mail its very efficient.

+1

I plan on listing some of my cheap ties with a fancy one.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

really? Really?
"The members of the Robert Graham Collector's Club — IT'S FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO OWN 100 SHIRTS OR MORE [emphasis added] — know the credo well. After the company identifies the person, Stock said, it sends out a plaque and names a shirt for the person. So far, there are 31 members in this sartorial club, including Austinite Steve Spencer.
Spencer, a corporate consultant, said he owns about 200 Robert Graham shirts. He also owns knits, blazers and jackets, vests and belts from the Robert Graham line."

http://www.statesman.com/life/style...me-a-staple-in-the-854240.html?printArticle=y
I'm wondering if the Robert Graham craze is fading a bit. I've picked up two at consignment stores in the $11 range, and have been able to get $35-36 out of them on eBay (not complaining). That's not close to the $60 plus some people say they have got for these. Both the ones I have were the more recent script as well.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
To be honest, I find good stuff in every shop for the most part, except the downtown Goodwill. But I've only been there twice. However, Slim found his suit, a HF Boardroom in perfect shape, there, and it is really nice.and more i have found some thing unique in one online shopping site where you all one time visit on that _SPAMDELETED_ for your all stuff.

So, Sarah, you joined just to promote a website that has nothing to do with the topic here??? Really?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I find good stuff in every shop for the most part, except the downtown Goodwill. But I've only been there twice. However, Slim found his suit, a HF Boardroom in perfect shape, there, and it is really nice.and more i have found some thing unique in one online shopping site where you all one time visit on that saving site for your all stuff.

Who the hell is Slim?

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, COME ON:

Hi sorry to have to bring this up now especially after I already paid but I need to give this as a gift and I haven't found any way to get an empty LV box. Is there anyway you can sell this to the bidder before me instead ?

This is the guy who paid with the Echeck.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, COME ON:

Hi sorry to have to bring this up now especially after I already paid but I need to give this as a gift and I haven't found any way to get an empty LV box. Is there anyway you can sell this to the bidder before me instead ?

This is the guy who paid with the Echeck.

Guess he didn't see this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Louis-Vuitt...1?pt=UK_Charms_Wristbands&hash=item2a1fff5873

This
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-L...pt=US_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item27c931d44b

This
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOUIS-VUITT...663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec031439f

Probably too large for a tie, but would still work.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

I run across these type guys (ladies) all the time. Most of them are college kids with eyes bigger then their wallets. They collect hundreds of items yet dont understand the principal of inventory turnover.

I saw an older woman with 30-40 ties in her cart the other day. I know they were not good ties since I had just looked at them. Mostly, Jones New York, Stafford and the like. I didn't ask but I thought that she had so many ties b/c: 1) she just got married and wanted to "spruce" up her new hubby, 2) she worked at a funeral home and they could be useful :puzzled: . 3) reseller. I was actually glad she was taking them since I wouldn't have to look as so many dregs the next time.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wes to the rescue! I sent him this:

Hi,

I don't know if there's a way for me to offer the item to the bidder before you. I'm sorry if there is; I haven't come across this issue before.

Might they be able to sell you a box at an LV store? Also, since you're in New York, you could probably buy a fake LV tie somewhere and just use the box. Or here are some listings that might help: (Wes' links)

This really is an exceptional tie for a great price; should I go ahead and ship it once your check clears?

His response?

Wow thats really helpful thanks so much. Yea def send it out

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wes to the rescue! I sent him this:

Hi,

I don't know if there's a way for me to offer the item to the bidder before you. I'm sorry if there is; I haven't come across this issue before.

Might they be able to sell you a box at an LV store? Also, since you're in New York, you could probably buy a fake LV tie somewhere and just use the box. Or here are some listings that might help: (Wes' links)

This really is an exceptional tie for a great price; should I go ahead and ship it once your check clears?

His response?

Wow thats really helpful thanks so much. Yea def send it out
Boom! ....Nice!

And yes, you can do a second chance offer. On your seller page there should be a little drop down menu next to each transaction. You just select second chance offer and choose who you want to send it to. Unfortunately, a while back there were a lot of scams going around unvolving SCOs and people rarely accept them, unless they have bought from me before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics