The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Picked these up yesterday. Based on inscription and heel pattern I'm 99% sure they are Cheaneys, made for Saks. Can anyone confirm?

Only worn once or twice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Definitely Cheaney.

4. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

Picked up a pair of Sperry Topsiders in toddler size 10. Now my son and I will be that lame father son duo with matching shoes and I will enjoy every minute of it.

[​IMG]

5. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I don't doubt that they are doing their thing and serve a great purpose for us by clearing out loads of stuff we have no intention of buying either to wear or to flip. My main worry is that they are crafty, ruthless and often use this as their main source of income. When they see a fellow hanger shuffler who isn't picking up armfuls of the same stuff they are and is instead only grabbing very select pieces from specific brands, they will investigate and inevitably find that it's easier in the long run to buy timeless, well-made product rather than the same mall dreck they've always purchased. This day will come and our daily hauls will vanish. Except for those of us in LA and Dallas (whatever happened to cskoulis?)

Dat parka! [​IMG]

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

i disagree with your premise

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

How does one determine shoe size when the markings on the inside have rubbed off, and there are no size markings on the soles? Doc Martens are the pair in question...

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

In Docs, the size should also be embossed or stamped into the insole about mid way down below the tongue. If they are made in England it will be UK size.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Measure the outsole and calibrate yourself by taking a measuring tape to the mall and measuring shoes from the same brand (when nobody is looking). You should get a decent size approximation.

There may be an online guide that gives approx measurements as well or trawl eBay listings and see measurements size correlations.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Patently false.

11. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

I have not had an issue with this, however, about two weeks ago I was in a GW flipping hangers when I hear all hell breaking loose on the other side of the store in Women's wear. I look up and two women are yelling at each other, apparently about one of them snagging a top or sweater out of her cart. I am pretty good at being able to decode slow to regular speed Spanish, but they were way too high pitched and fast for me to pick up the entire conversation, but the essence was "don't touch my stuff in my cart!". It was way too far to see if they were fighting over something good, although I cannot imagine getting my ass kicked over a polyester / acrylic women's sweater. Dangerous times. . .

12. TheNeedMachine

Thank you. Definitely legit UK-made Docs, but no stamp or embossing (I just spent some quality time with them searching all over & under). Odd as the exteriors are in great shape but most ink / stamps inside are worn off. However, there are some other numbers inside that are not size but may relate to sized - need to trawl online.

That's a pretty good idea in this case. I'll feel like a dork doing it but who cares - I only go to the mall a few times a year and this will be on my list next time. Thank you.

13. TheNeedMachine

I've had people put random shit in my cart at the grocery store (last time was a spray bottle of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - the hell - I'd never use that stuff)...but not at the thrifts. I guard my cart at the thrifts like a lion with a fresh kill, if I have something nice in it. I have also nearly perfected using the cart, my own body, and strategic spacing to block off nearly an entire rack so I can work it by myself. People probably hate me, but I hate it more when someone hops in the middle of a rack I haven't finished sliding through yet.

14. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

I'll keep an eye out for this the next time I'm in Atlanta.

15. TheNeedMachine

Agreed. Do the research, stock up in same-size same-label similar-style items, list as a lot of 5+ when you have enough. Folks here are generally not willing to share "secrets" but this isn't one. I've had good luck for the most part with lots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.