• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmmurdock

Reaction score

^ you probably already know this, but you should really get this lens for your nikon:
XSUiq.jpg

i use it almost exclusively. only time i use anything else is if i need a long zoom.

+1 If you don't have a full frame Nikon....this is easily the best lens for the money. I shoot with this a TON!

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this awesome condition Aquascutum tie today. available

no offense bra, but i wouldn't wipe ****** with that tie :(

I actually like it. A bit narrow for my taste but I'm a sucker for paisley. And to each his own....I see stuff on here people go ape **** over that I'm like WTF?????

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some minor action at the end of the week.

Lanvin tie - keeping, because I want/need more monochromes in my wardrobe.

P1040635.jpg

SC, Avanzata for Harry Rosen, 44R, glen plaid, unvented. Available
PM me if you want measurements or further details. Happy to discuss any trade or offer.

P1040617.jpg

P1040621.jpg

P1040623.jpg

P1040620.jpg

Samuel Smith

Reaction score

Some minor action at the end of the week.
Lanvin tie - keeping, because I want/need more monochromes in my wardrobe.
P1040635.jpg
SC, Avanzata for Harry Rosen, 44R, glen plaid, unvented. Available
PM me if you want measurements or further details. Happy to discuss any trade or offer.
P1040617.jpg

P1040621.jpg

P1040623.jpg

P1040620.jpg

I feel like we've seen this content label recently and the jury though that it was :slayer:

Any size 9EEE guys need a pair of Allen Edmonds Cameron loafers in burgundy color?

goneAWOL

Reaction score
^ you probably already know this, but you should really get this lens for your nikon:
XSUiq.jpg

i use it almost exclusively. only time i use anything else is if i need a long zoom.

+1 If you don't have a full frame Nikon....this is easily the best lens for the money. I shoot with this a TON!

Is that lens significantly better than the 18-55mm lens that comes standard with a Nikon? That's what I always shoot with, just because I know absolutely nothing about my camera or photography in general. I do know that I'm often unsatisfied with my listing pictures... probably because I don't know what I'm doing.

hmmurdock

Reaction score

Is that lens significantly better than the 18-55mm lens that comes standard with a Nikon?  That's what I always shoot with, just because I know absolutely nothing about my camera or photography in general.  I do know that I'm often unsatisfied with my listing pictures... probably because I don't know what I'm doing.

Obviously no zoom on the lens but will shoot significantly better indoors/low light. If you're interested PM me and I can recommend a couple good books which give a good primer on aperature/shutter speed and can only help with pics.

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I've been finding a lot of good stuff lately but too busy to post it. Here's what I found today, nothing too great but some content for the thread. Included is the price I paid, just because :D :

ISZMa.jpg

beat up alden wing tips. thought they might still look okay with jeans, heels and soles have lots of wear left. $5

M2qqB.jpg

3zSRX.jpg

Leeds, shell cordovan, black. Hardly worn. $9.99

6MZBx.jpg

park aves, black, well card for. $9.99

xWG1M.jpg

florsheim longwing, vcleat, black scotchgrain. $4

uGVKO.jpg

Armani collezioni polo, flax/linen, mint. $2.50

e3RQI.jpg

D&G shirt, mint, $2.50

MlovE.jpg

bills khakis m2 flat front dark gray wool dress pants. $4.99

jUrDj.jpg

Made in England shetland argyle sweater. Probably alan paine. $2.49

sDC7C.jpg

vintage Abercrombie and Fitch made in Scotland shetland golf sweater. $2.49

gQ87f.jpg

2x old brioni ties, 1x NWT dunhill made in england tie. $1.99 each

QEjXp.jpg

Thomas pink superfine two fold cotton shirt. $2.98
Barbour gingham shirt. $4.50
Polo ralph lauren two pocket Custom Fit flannel shirt. $4.98
Paul stuart french cuff shirt, NWOT i think. $3.99

nYRIh.jpg

TVLsG.jpg

polo ralph lauren dark brown suede leather jacket. used, good condition, needs to get hit with the suede brush / eraser. $12.99

Oh, and not pictured: Denon DCD-1500 cd player to add to my home audio set up. Sounds amazing. $9.99

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
Is that lens significantly better than the 18-55mm lens that comes standard with a Nikon? That's what I always shoot with, just because I know absolutely nothing about my camera or photography in general. I do know that I'm often unsatisfied with my listing pictures... probably because I don't know what I'm doing.
Fast glass is what it is all about! 1.8 is the reason it is soooooo good! I like the 20mm 2,8 too. . .

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that lens significantly better than the 18-55mm lens that comes standard with a Nikon?  That's what I always shoot with, just because I know absolutely nothing about my camera or photography in general.  I do know that I'm often unsatisfied with my listing pictures... probably because I don't know what I'm doing.

it lets a LOT of light in (imagine a cardboard box pinhole camera...this one has a hole with a larger size diameter). that means the sensor doesn't have to be open as long to take the picture. this means several things:

• if your hand is a bit shaky, that's ok, because it's taking the picture very quickly, so not as much time for the hand shake to affect the picture
  • if your subject is moving around (like a kid on a swing) that's ok, because it's taking the picture very quickly, so not as much time for the kid to become a blur.
  • if you are taking pictures in low light that's ok, because it lets a lot more light in than a normal lens, so everything just comes out better

it's hard to picture (har har) this stuff in the abstract. once you play with a lens like this, you'll understand pretty quickly what it can do. the only drawback is you don't have zoom, but for most situations you can just scoot forward or scoot back and make it work. if you know you're going to be shooting something (like a sporting event) that requires a long zoom, bring that lens instead. to me, the positives of this small, fast, "bright" lens far outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, what Mexi said. A 35mm fixed is pretty much considered standard in SLR/DSLR photography. Frankly, it's probably a better lens for you to learn to shoot on than the 18-55mm lens.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Been killing it since school got out.

Ties:

RLPL, Barneys by Charles Hill Silk, Richard James, Stefano Ricci, Chanel

Shirts:

Borrelli, Gucci, Yamato

Dolce and Gabbana, Zegna x 2, Hyden Yoo

Tincati, Gucci, Alfred Dunhill

Cucinelli Sweater:

Shoes:

Ducati x Puma, Puma cleats

Gucci, Alden

RLPL, Brooks Brothers shell cordovan

Florsheim, Bally

Florsheim's are awesome. Normally don't pick them up.

Allen Edmond x 2

1913 Harris Dal

Jackets

Recent Belvest

Recent staple navy Canali with sick buttons.

Henry Poole tweed

Suits:

Recent Zegna in 15 milmil 15

Recent Oxxford

Gianluca Isaia

SAY WUT. MMM 3 PIECE?

To top it all off:

Total damage:

~$600.

Passed:
Kiton (they wanted 125), 2 x Brioni (wanted 50), Battistoni (wanted 50), Battistoni suit (wanted 100), pure cashmere Dunhill (had massive hole), countless recent Armani Coll, older Armani black, Zegnas, Paul Smiths.

Not Pictured:
Harris Tweed by Kutler Bros of San Francisco
M. Julian baller ass safari jacket
Suede jacket by Banana Republic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads