• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Measurements, please?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rayxlui: Nice finds!

Not exactly a thrift question but not a sale thread question either, but does anyone know if marshalls is on a set schedule for when they add stuff to clearance, or when they mark things down further?

I talked to a manager at TJ Maxx once who told me they mark ties down after about 8 weeks. Could be different per store and per item type, though.

chiron

Reaction score
Not exactly a thrift question but not a sale thread question either, but does anyone know if marshalls is on a set schedule for when they add stuff to clearance, or when they mark things down further?

Marshalls/TMax price tags have the months of the year in the upper right hand corner in a square box. Its usually 2/3 months after an item hits the shelves that it will go for mark down (red Tag). Cleareance happen twice a year as I recall (yellow Tag). Now, if the item is high dollar (purple tags)/ or sells well it might be double the wait time. Also, in demand seasonal items sometimes take longer to go on sale. (Flip Flops ect...)

This item was put out month 17 (Odd year) ( 2011 May)..so it should go on sale in month 19 (July). (two year cycle from even year)

Last edited:

goneAWOL

Reaction score
it lets a LOT of light in (imagine a cardboard box pinhole camera...this one has a hole with a larger size diameter). that means the sensor doesn't have to be open as long to take the picture. this means several things:
  • if your hand is a bit shaky, that's ok, because it's taking the picture very quickly, so not as much time for the hand shake to affect the picture
  • if your subject is moving around (like a kid on a swing) that's ok, because it's taking the picture very quickly, so not as much time for the kid to become a blur.
  • if you are taking pictures in low light that's ok, because it lets a lot more light in than a normal lens, so everything just comes out better

This sounds like it would solve all my problems. I have messed around with lighting A LOT, but still have had trouble getting great results. I'm adding this lens to my list of things to get.

Quote: If true, that is some valuable information right there. I did not know that, and I doubt many others did either

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Basically two days of busts. 14 stores and only 4 pairs of cufflinks came home with me. No Suits, jackets, shirtts, pants, shoes...etc
Oh well, these things happen.

Here are the 3 from today. Anyone got the initials P.G and need some 2 tone cufflinks?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it lets a LOT of light in (imagine a cardboard box pinhole camera...this one has a hole with a larger size diameter). that means the sensor doesn't have to be open as long to take the picture. this means several things:
  • if your hand is a bit shaky, that's ok, because it's taking the picture very quickly, so not as much time for the hand shake to affect the picture
  • if your subject is moving around (like a kid on a swing) that's ok, because it's taking the picture very quickly, so not as much time for the kid to become a blur.
  • if you are taking pictures in low light that's ok, because it lets a lot more light in than a normal lens, so everything just comes out better
it's hard to picture (har har) this stuff in the abstract. once you play with a lens like this, you'll understand pretty quickly what it can do. the only drawback is you don't have zoom, but for most situations you can just scoot forward or scoot back and make it work. if you know you're going to be shooting something (like a sporting event) that requires a long zoom, bring that lens instead. to me, the positives of this small, fast, "bright" lens far outweigh the negatives.

If you want to spend 2x the cost of your camera body you can get a pro zoom lens that's just as fast as that fixed lens. In the Canon world these are the ones with the white bodies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically two days of busts. 14 stores and only 4 pairs of cufflinks came home with me. No Suits, jackets, shirtts, pants, shoes...etc
Oh well, these things happen.

Here are the 3 from today. Anyone got the initials P.G and need some 2 tone cufflinks?
Bro, that's how I've been for the last week or so...this damn town is so damn dry...But on the flip side, thanks for hooking a brotha up!
fistbump.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Marshalls/TMax price tags have the week of the year in the upper right hand corner in a square box. Its usually 4 weeks after or the end of the month when the item should go on sale. Now, if the item is high dollar (purple tags) it might be double the wait time. Also, in demand seasonal items sometimes take longer to go on sale.

This item was put out week 17...so it should go on sale in week 21.

Insane inside info that I did not know, but will definitely be used in the future. Many, many thanks!

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads