• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoofit

Reaction score
I applied ae cleaning an moisturizing cream and ae brown cordovan cream to the upper and ae natural edge dressing. Lots of brushing and buffing.

46n2

Reaction score
Today, first up, picked up this old steamer trunk for my wife's mom. She asked me to keep an eye out for one for her months ago. Coincidentally, shes coming to visit this weekend. Should net me some good son-in-law points.
biggrin.gif

Hello, what do we have here?

Loro Piana women's shirt, size 42. If any of you guys thinks this might fit your lady, hit me up and I'll send you measurements.

PRL braided leather braces. Not available.

Braided Coach belt, made in the USA, not available.

Silk scarf for myself

Hand rolled silk scarf for my wife.

George Cleverley shoe trees, with handwriting on the bottom. Alas no shoes to go with them.

Vintage Church's Diplomat's, made in Italy, size 8D All shoes ARE available.

Vintage Church's Consul, also made in Italy, also 8D

Another pair of Consul's, this time in mocha color. 8D Made in England

Another pair of Diplomats, this time in black, 8D Made in England
[/URL

The oldest pair of Allen Edmonds I've ever come across, check out the label, 8D

Some sick Bally kilty loafers, 8D Made in Italy.

Had to leave about 6 other pairs of AE's of the same vintage for lack of funds.
baldy[1].gif

yirayira

Reaction score
My first good finds of spring, but it looks like I'm closer to an 8 in C&J. Anyone interested, please PM me.

Crockett and Jones - unlined shell cordovan loafers (Harvard) size 8.5D
Crockett and Jones - unlined suede loafers (Harvard) size 8.5D

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Found this pair of shoes on teh bay. Not marked as anything other that tassel loafers. Paid $10 for some beater shells.
Before:
cordovanonebay.jpg

After some elbow grease and sanding of the soles to have the natural edge.
SPOILER]
Those look great. How long do the edges stay like that??

This week's finds:

Super vintage polo (made in USA?) flat front gray flannels with coin pocket (29x29 with 2.5 to add each way)

I love and possibly need these. Along with eazye, you may have a PM coming your way if they are still available tomorrow.

Today, first up, picked up this old steamer trunk for my wife's mom. She asked me to keep an eye out for one for her months ago. Coincidentally, shes coming to visit this weekend. Should net me some good son-in-law points. :D

Hello, what do we have here?

Loro Piana women's shirt, size 42. If any of you guys thinks this might fit your lady, hit me up and I'll send you measurements.

PRL braided leather braces. Not available.

Braided Coach belt, made in the USA, not available.

Silk scarf for myself

Hand rolled silk scarf for my wife.

George Cleverley shoe trees, with handwriting on the bottom. Alas no shoes to go with them.

Vintage Church's Diplomat's, made in Italy, size 8D All shoes ARE available.

Vintage Church's Consul, also made in Italy, also 8D

Another pair of Consul's, this time in mocha color. 8D Made in England

Another pair of Diplomats, this time in black, 8D Made in England
[/URL
[URL=http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1724772/width/350/height/467]

The oldest pair of Allen Edmonds I've ever come across, check out the label, 8D

Some sick Bally kilty loafers, 8D Made in Italy.

Had to leave about 6 other pairs of AE's of the same vintage for lack of funds. :brick:
[/URL]
http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1724757/width/350/height/263

That stuff is amazing and I'm an 8. I'm hitting a few stores tomorrow, but if I don't find anything and any of those shoes are available, I might hit you with a PM. Well done!

All the time. They know up front what the shipping is going to cost, and are always prepared to pay the price. Sometimes the shipping is more than the selling price, it's crazy, but if you gotta have something, you gotta have it.. I guess. 

I'll add a bit to this...I know that I'm going to pay when it comes to international shipping. I really appreciate it when sellers offer it without ripping me off completely. I know what it costs as I can use the USPS site as well, but I found a new pair of shoes yesterday that were around $200 BIN. The shipping to Austria? $216. I emailed him asking if it was some sort of mistake and he said that no, shipping abroad really is that expensive.

On the other hand, I've dealt with a number of fair sellers that even ask if I mind if they squeeze something into the priority envelope to save some money. I've never had a lost package (knock on wood) and the only time I've ever had trouble with customs is from DHL...they collect no matter what. Hell, I even have an American Kitchen-Aid that was shipped over and arrived via Austrian post with the magical Abgabenfrei (duty-free) stamp on the front. They are notoriously expensive here as they're made in the US and my model would run well over €750 here. Other countries (read: UK, Italy and sometimes Germany) have dedicated tax collectors. So, thank you guys that ship abroad!!!

This definitely wasn't a thrift find and though my wife did like it, I thought you guys might appreciate it. I got it in the mail yesterday and was eagerly awaiting its arrival, but it will need to go to the tailor to have the working cuffs finished. It's my first new St. Andrews (right?) Tux. I may wear it to work like Jim did from the show The Office.
[URL=http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/1726162/width/350/height/526] [/url]

Hoofit

Reaction score

Those look great. How long do the edges stay like that??

I sanded them down to the bare leather, so they should stay this way unless I add something to darken it up. After I sanded I added AE natural edge dressing. I looks good for a while, but will always need to be touched up. I have heard of some people using clear coat like they use on cars when they are painted, but I am too lazy to go to all that trouble. I figured I would just experiment with this pair since I got them on the cheap and they fit really well.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
First off, from here on out, I'll just do the simple folded shirt picture, so please excuse the mess this time around... And my button detail shots haha. I can measure any of these if any of you are interested. PM me for details.

Size 43, available. Weave on this one feels great.

Smokey

French cuffs

Scuse this first cell phone shot mixed in. This one also has french cuffs, and oddly enough, appears to have built in metal collar stays behind the standard removable collar stay slots. wtf

Really nice collar button, all buttons are tri-hole on this one.

Here's the damage on this one, looks like food stains, thinking of going Oxy on it sans vinegar so I don't wreck the buttons. Let me know your thoughts.

On one sleeve

The other

Collar just above brand label

French cuffs, but this one's clean.

Standard cuffs, but lists a french cuff length?

Rich buttons on this one.

Then there are these finds, found at another shop last week. Any details on this Zegna vs the shirts above. This shirt feels great, and if it had one more x on the tag, or I had smaller shoulders, I'd keep it. Buttons be crazy on this one, huge, smokey shell.

A little food stain on it, would you guys recommend trying to have it dry cleaned vs. giving it a spin at home? It has wash instructions but also has a tag that says dry cleanable. The most expensive shirt I've thrifted to date ($12) but I was excited to find my first nice Z in the wild.

Saw this amidst the ties at the same store and couldn't believe how nice it felt...

Oh that's why. Anyone heard of Bajra?

Sure traveled a long way to this shop. For $1.91, I couldn't say no. Now property of girlfriend.

zachl

Reaction score

I love and possibly need these. Along with eazye, you may have a PM coming your way if they are still available tomorrow.

I just paid for them - been looking for some staple flannels in small sizes for a while. Beautiful tux though! That should be more than enough consolation for a while...

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I shall coin the term... MForphan. As this is usually what I say when I cannot locate the missing pants to the orphan jacket.

:lol:

I think this is an SC though. I'm still gonna check the shop few more times. Memorial day coming it will be crazy. I passed 10D Bally opera pumps, and suede loafers. Pricey and I have no use for them.

Can one of the CJ experts tell me if those shells above are UK or US sized? Spoo?

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First decent finds in a while

Fray for Trillion Button-Down (Size II?)

Charvet flannel button-down M

APC Dress Shirt L (Fits smaller)

Kiton Cotton/Cashmere Button-Down 15 1/2

Loro Piana Long Sleeve Polo Size 50
It's all around my size, but I haven't decided what I'm keeping yet.  Let me know if you're interested in anything

Wow! Great haul! :slayer:

And a couple of days ago, a pretty Turntable. Like the bag, nothing all lthat special (Sherwood PM 1270), but it will do the job and look better on the shelf than anything else I have at the moment. Needs a cart, but I can probably swap one out from a lesser table.

Beautiful turntable!

This week's finds:

First, a few firsts:

Thom Browne New York Contrast Club Collar FC:

Maison Martin Margiela Pants/Chinos (34):

And the rest:

Jackets:

2x Brioni (Navy, Charcoal with White PInstripes, both 40s...both unvented...)

Hickey Freeman Silk/Cotton Coat - NWT (NOT available)

Shirts:

Truzzi (16.5), Billy Reid (L), BB Made in Italy (15.5), Zegna (16), Gant (L), Camicia Giampolo (17)

Green & Pink plaid

Blue w/ Brown check

Blue with purple/blue check, FC

White w/ Black Stripes:

Green/White Stripe

Solid white, spread collar, standard cuff

Pants:

Luciano Barbera x3 - Gray double pleated (available), Charcoal/Black flat front (probably available), Brown flat front (probably not available) all approximately 34x32

Super vintage polo (made in USA?) flat front gray flannels with coin pocket (29x29 with 2.5 to add each way)

Random:

Black/Tan Carroll & Co. Velour (?) Jacket (L):

Filson Shooting Shirt:

Brooks Brothers Car Coat with Corduroy Collar & Zip Out Flannel Liner (L):

Suits:

Polo Made in Italy Khaki (42)

BB Golden Fleece Gray w/ blue Stripes (41)

And some random summer items for me:

Vintage Polo Green Label Made in the USA Oxford:

J Crew Linen:

J Crew Madras:

Z Zegna Linen:

Unless otherwise marked (HF jacket, brown LB pants, summer shirts), everything is AVAILABLE. PM me for details.

And as a general WTB - I'm looking for light brown/tan suede penny loafers in10.5/11 if anyone is interested in selling/trading.

Insane! Please tell me that TB is a size 4 or 5 and is available :bounce2:

This definitely wasn't a thrift find and though my wife did like it, I thought you guys might appreciate it. I got it in the mail yesterday and was eagerly awaiting its arrival, but it will need to go to the tailor to have the working cuffs finished. It's my first new St. Andrews (right?) Tux. I may wear it to work like Jim did from the show The Office.

:slayer::slayer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics