The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Not my best haul but not bad...

[​IMG]
    ^Available

[​IMG]
    ^Available (PRL 38X30.5, LB 38X35)

[​IMG]
    ^Available (It's really a dark navy...color did not come out right on the photo 44R)

Frankly I wouldn't normally post these...but there are some great summer patterns in these.
    [​IMG]
    ^16-32's on top row Available....16-34's on bottom row might just get stashed in my closet.

2. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Fortunately if he Negs you just for this you can get it removed from your feedback with relatively little issue.

3. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

That's about right, although I bought a mint Sawyer with horn buttons for $200 from a member here a couple years ago and have never regretted it. New, I'm sure it was well north of a grand. If that one fits you, I wouldn't let it go.

As for EE, my lord--that shoe haul is amazing. I'm guessing they were more than $3/pair, which is the going rate around here. Otherwise, you should go straight to hell for leaving any behind.

And finally, a word of warning on the Oxy method. I put a couple of shirts in to soak last night, one a BB pinpoint button down in light blue that had what I suspect was a bloodstain on one sleeve. That one is alive and well and, I think, all better now. But a RLPL polo in light green that I put in with the BB is ruined. Big time. It started out with a slight bit of ring around the collar. Now, it looks as if it had been dip dyed, with yellowish discolorations all over the place. I'm guessing that either putting in shirts of different colors was a bad idea or there was some kind of reaction with the super-concentrated solution. But it's given me pause about using the Oxy method again on anything but white fabric. Can anyone help with what I did wrong? To recap:

1. A two-hour soak in a solution of one cup vinegar to a gallon of super-hot (I heat it on the stove until near boiling) water done in a five-gallon plastic bucket.

2. After rinsing the two shirts, an overnight soak on a super-concentrated solution of four scoops Oxy to a bit more than two cups of super-hot water. I've never been able to get all the Oxy to dissolve. Maybe that's my problem, but I've done a blue shirt solo before with no issues and several white shirts, both solo and together, with no issues.

3. At this point, I aborted the RLPL polo because it was clearly ruined. The BB shirt is soaking for the day in a solution of Oxy and super-hot water, about two scoops to a little less than a gallon.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I checked into it...I did all the math, which was a pain with the exchange rates and compounded fees. It looks like you are correct. It was almost to the dollar. I let him know about it, but we will see what he says. I think he has not been living there long so it may be new to him as well. If it comes down to saving feedback I will just split the difference with him, since I already made bank on the transaction.

5. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

PM sent re: Khaki Polo

6. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

7. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

8. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Hmm, that sucks re: the Oxy soak. I have done it a number of times and trusted it on nicer shirts and haven't had issues with combining colors. But considering the water is super hot, there is something to be said about the colors bleeding. I have only soaked white and light blue dress shirts together with no bleeding issues.

Another issue I read about was the blue crystals "embedding" into white shirts (this was in the original soak thread).

The only issue I have had is that the vinegar soak eats away the iridescent layer of nice MOP buttons on dress shirts and leaves them dull. I have since eliminated vinegar.

Maybe try shortening the duration of the overnight concentrated soak. I am typically impatient and only soak for a few hours and have managed to get stains out.

9. catside

catside Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Midnight blue, almost new, 52 but ptop 21", small for me, available, -regular trading partners have priority-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    JPress poplin 3/2 sack, NWOT condition, Ivy Trad goodness, 46R and little big for me, unlucky me!, available, -regular trading partners have priority-

Last edited: May 24, 2012

10. GHo

GHo Senior member

sounds maybe like a trade of some type should be in the works?

Tom Ford 38R

[​IMG]

:inlove:

11. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Found this pair of shoes on teh bay. Not marked as anything other that tassel loafers. Paid $10 for some beater shells.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After some elbow grease and sanding of the soles to have the natural edge.
    [​IMG]

12. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

What do you want for the black PRL 38X30.5 slacks?

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nicely done! What did you put on them?

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Take it to PM please

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Those turned out great.

Lots of cool finds lately. That Sulka three-piece CottonDockers found is sweet.

Last edited: May 24, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.