The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Greetings, I've been absent a while because I've been busy. Buying a house, getting the old one ready to list, moving, all that fun stuff piled on top of my normal schedule. Anyway, something dragged me out of my not-even-lurking- :eek: silence:

I'm supposed to be packing and leaving for a conference that starts today, but my kid had to go to the doc, so my day got partly derailed. I was killing a few minutes today waiting for a prescription to be filled at the Walgreens' up the street and ran across a suit bag - I'll probably pack in that instead of my normal weekend bag! Nothing special, just perfectly timed. Then, as I was waiting for my supposedly sick son to finish looking at the toy rack so we could check out I noticed a staple white dress shirt. Have to check it out. Charles Tyrwhitt. Then the next was too. Then the next. Ended up with 5 in a row, obviously same donor, straight from the cleaners. All Slim fit. Unfortunately they're 17-35, so an inch too big in the neck for me. I'll put them on the trading thread with some better pics when I get back from the conference, hopefully someone will have something to trade.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Other highlights of the last few weeks include a pair of Russel Moccasin shoes, apparently unworn, in my size (or close enough anyway). Soft and light and fantastic. Not only that, but a local Wisconsin maker.
    [​IMG]

And a couple of days ago, a pretty Turntable. Like the bag, nothing all lthat special (Sherwood PM 1270), but it will do the job and look better on the shelf than anything else I have at the moment. Needs a cart, but I can probably swap one out from a lesser table.

[​IMG]

See ya again in a few days, gotta go pack that suit bag.

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

His downfall is in his own phraseology. He faults you for saying "You are bidding on a pair of ...." Then he says "however, only one pair of pants ... arrived today." Both "a" and "one" are singular. By describing what he received as "a pair" of trousers, he's conceded that one item of trouser is referred to as [singlular] pair. He loses.

OMFG, dude! That's dead on my measurements! But there's no WAY I can give you what you need to get! INTERRUPTUS!! (Nice find, though)
    Also, any time I hear about someone who mates orphans, I want to commit seppuku. Searching for orphan mates is easily the most time consuming thing I do, with only rare instances of payoff.

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

I'm not sure calling him dense is "killing him with kindness" [​IMG]

4. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Wanted to get some thoughts on this jacket. It's in mint condition, although a cleaning would make it perfect. All seems are sweet, and the suede has no flaws. Buttons are in great shape and there's still a spare sewn into the lining. For the same jacket in similar condition they have it posted as a BIN at $249.00. There's another one in jacked up condition listed BIN at $49.00.

Any thoughts on this bad boy? It's one of the warmest jackets I've ever word and has a retro vibe to it, but it's up for trade/sale and wanted to see what you guys would list it at if it end up going on eBay.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What would you do with this beast?

Thanks in advance.

5. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

This week's finds:

First, a few firsts:

Thom Browne New York Contrast Club Collar FC:
    [​IMG]

Maison Martin Margiela Pants/Chinos (34):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the rest:

Jackets:

2x Brioni (Navy, Charcoal with White PInstripes, both 40s...both unvented...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hickey Freeman Silk/Cotton Coat - NWT (NOT available)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shirts:

Truzzi (16.5), Billy Reid (L), BB Made in Italy (15.5), Zegna (16), Gant (L), Camicia Giampolo (17)

Green & Pink plaid
    [​IMG]

Blue w/ Brown check
    [​IMG]

Blue with purple/blue check, FC
    [​IMG]

White w/ Black Stripes:
    [​IMG]

Green/White Stripe
    [​IMG]

Solid white, spread collar, standard cuff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pants:

Luciano Barbera x3 - Gray double pleated (available), Charcoal/Black flat front (probably available), Brown flat front (probably not available) all approximately 34x32

[​IMG]

Super vintage polo (made in USA?) flat front gray flannels with coin pocket (29x29 with 2.5 to add each way)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Random:

Black/Tan Carroll & Co. Velour (?) Jacket (L):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Filson Shooting Shirt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brooks Brothers Car Coat with Corduroy Collar & Zip Out Flannel Liner (L):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suits:

Polo Made in Italy Khaki (42)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BB Golden Fleece Gray w/ blue Stripes (41)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some random summer items for me:

Vintage Polo Green Label Made in the USA Oxford:
    [​IMG]

J Crew Linen:
    [​IMG]

J Crew Madras:
    [​IMG]

Z Zegna Linen:
    [​IMG]

Unless otherwise marked (HF jacket, brown LB pants, summer shirts), everything is AVAILABLE. PM me for details.

And as a general WTB - I'm looking for light brown/tan suede penny loafers in10.5/11 if anyone is interested in selling/trading.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just got this from a buyer in the UK

"Dear weso0119,

I was about to email you today to find out where my item was, but I received a letter from Parcel Force saying I have to pay £26.99 to get the suit released from customs as the incorrect postage was paid."

Anyone know (International SF members)....Is this just a required customs payment or really a shortage of postage? The item was a $105 suit. The postage paid was $49.50 for International Priority. This is the first time I have see anything like this.

Last edited: May 24, 2012

7. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

2 days isn't much time. The only thing I have in any of those sizes is a shirt, but it's light blue and you're going to want white.

8. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

If there was a shortage of postage paid, they would have returned it to you marked insufficient postage. Its gotta be a customs fee.

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think that's a regular thing with the UK. They have to pay some VAT or other fee. I had the same thing when I sent a Purdey hunting tweed over there. I think it's discussed in the eBay documentation now... They've mentioned it several times in their updates.

10. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Too high at $249. Living in Canada, I see these (or a similar style) all of the time at $40-ish in mint condition. I didn't even know that there was a re-sale market for them.

11. GHo

GHo Senior member

not me. shizz. i didn't realize this ended today. :embar:

12. GHo

GHo Senior member

I would've told him to grow a pair of balls.... but he'd probably be confused on whether that would be two or four.

13. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Thanks, I figured as much. Available for trade if any of you guys are interested.

14. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

I'd guess you'd be looking for something badass...and in only 2 days and a 38R...that's tough...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure something will turn up.

Last edited: May 24, 2012

15. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

QFT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.