• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
So....this got missed but who's area am I lurking in this week? I'm in Boston to visit with my son who is graduating from BU this week. I only have one extra bag with me so I won't be able to take to much home with me.
D.

It appears that you'll be entering the Kingdom of Typhoid Jones...
lol8[1].gif

(J/K PM me and I'll give the rundown on some spots. Congratulations on your son graduating from BU!)

Shiny

Reaction score

Any thrifters in the DC area?  I would like to get into it, but haven't read very positive things about the area with regard to thrifting... 

It's good. It's a government/company town so you find a lot of stuff that govt workers wear to blend in. Brooks Bros, HSMs, John W. Nordstrom stufff along with the usual Nautica, C Klein dress shirts that are all around the country. Nothing flashy that you would find in NYC or even Philly. With the rise in the contractor class, I've seen a lot of dress casual stuff like Banana Republic and the like that is showing up in the thrifts. If you apply yourself, you can pull out the occasional canali and corneliani that some well heeled lawyer donated.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So....this got missed but who's area am I lurking in this week? I'm in Boston to visit with my son who is graduating from BU this week. I only have one extra bag with me so I won't be able to take to much home with me.
D.

Rookie. :D You throw your thrift finds into your bag in the backseat of your car immediately and when it is full and you still have 6 stores left to hit you thrift an additional bag to fill...

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this yesterday, was going to post until DM7 had his clothesgasm all over this thread, but now that that's all cleaned up, here it is. All my other wintercoats will be sold this coming winter and replaced with this:
IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

The only downside is living in Florida, I'll get maybe two and a half chances to wear it.

This is bad ass!

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found this yesterday, was going to post until DM7 had his clothesgasm all over this thread, but now that that's all cleaned up, here it is. All my other wintercoats will be sold this coming winter and replaced with this:
IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

The only downside is living in Florida, I'll get maybe two and a half chances to wear it.

Holy Ivy, Batman. A coat like that should prompt a move north. Pay no attention to what DM7 found--that's the find of the month in my admittedly narrow-view world. Props for not selling it.

Last edited:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
After seeing all of DM7s stuff I feel like all my finds are just bad. Found 2 pairs of Canali NWT sz. 34 pants today, thats good I guess
shog[1].gif

Oh just got a message from a friendly ebay buyer at 1 am in the morning.....
"Dear cpmac7,
Why are you so primitive and not shipp outside US, whit all problem your country have you shud hjelp your country with some exsport., shame on you
- XXXX"
Is this anyone in here?
boxing[1].gif

Well, not me... the fact that you don't ship outside the U.S. might be bad for my size 34 legs, but it's good for my size way-too-small wallet.

I love the idea of someone being able to flawlessly spell 'primitive,' but not 'should.'

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I vote option A, sell one of your cast-aside blazers, hopefully for something close to $40, then go back and get item c.

How to stretch the same money further. :fistbump:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's good. It's a government/company town so you find a lot of stuff that govt workers wear to blend in. Brooks Bros, HSMs, John W. Nordstrom stufff along with the usual Nautica, C Klein dress shirts that are all around the country. Nothing flashy that you would find in NYC or even Philly. With the rise in the contractor class, I've seen a lot of dress casual stuff like Banana Republic and the like that is showing up in the thrifts. If you apply yourself, you can pull out the occasional canali and corneliani that some well heeled lawyer donated.

Nope, nothing good here.
patch[1].gif

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score

^^^ I would love to thrift a pair of customized Aldens with a retractable switchblade in the toe and a telephone in the heel.

mistermidwester

Reaction score

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

This coat is the effing dopeness. I would hope for cold winters just so I could wear it more. So beautiful.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for all the gents on here. What does one wear with black watch tartan plaid pants? I'm thinking a navy blazer with gold buttons and a crisp white ocbd. Any thoughts would be helpful. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads