• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pejsek

Reaction score
Barbera Sartoriale (Partenopea) 3/2 sb suit; charcoal small beaded stripe; like-new condition, pockets still sewn shut; very trim cut, nearly perfect fit. $22.45
Garrick Anderson brown/orange gingham shirt. $5.49

Kiton tie, jet black w/ small white circles. $2.49

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PHUCK....you back in action hard Bro!

NOICE>...

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Thanks for not making me feel any better about it. Yes, I do play guitar. It wasn't mint, that's for sure, but it certainly didn't appear to have any repairs that I could see, just general wear, nicks and dings, etc., and needed a good cleaning..... oh well.

My condolences. One of my cardinal thrifting rules is to never ever show stuff off in the store. Put it in a basket or find some other way to be inconspicuous. Other people will hate you and/or follow if you parade your treasures around. There's simply no upside to it. And there really is nothing worse than the realization that you missed something great because you lost focus or turned up just a bit late. I'm more than happy for my fellow thrifters to think I just turn up day after day hoping for a couple of pairs of Old Navy jeans.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
PHUCK....you back in action hard Bro!

NOICE>...

Just can't quit (not that I've tried). In general it's been pretty sad around here, though. Several thrift stores have gone under due to donations drying up. Haven't found anything truly great since the Amedeo Testoni bentivegna welted split toes a few weeks back. No matter how bleak it gets there's always more stuff.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC

From the stuff that member 'Georgia' sells it's got to be pretty good somewhere. I've found some decent stuff in Atlanta. The retail is strong enough that it ought to be good.

That's true, I think he took it all

What is L5P Ed?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things are very spotty here in the North of Chicago.
Last great thing I found was a St. Andrews for Barbara about 3 months ago. A few weeks ago I found a recent Oxxford in a US 58 (EU 48) in a lovely charcoal with blue windopane. It was so huge I just couldnt buy it, although mint. Plus I had to search for the pants, which I found seperate. That is the 4th Oxxford suit I have found at this particular store.
I am not sure I will ever hit gold there like I did a year ago (2 Brioni Cashmere blazers that were less than a year old for $5.00 each, 1 Kiton cashmere blazer $5.00, 2 Oxxford suits for $10.00, and 1 Zegna suit for $5.00 and a cashmere shirt jacket for Sid Jerome all from the same guy obviously in one haul). That was the second jackpot I have had.

Nashville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Ok - went to the sandy springs goodwill - nada there that I saw worth reporting
frown.gif

i have never found anything there

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddities lately. A bespoke 3b blue flannel coat made by Soares of Sao Paulo. A 3b peaked lapel denim coat by Men's Bigi/Rad Mess of Japan. Men's bigi seems to be a chain of streetwear shops. Denim is very dark blue with a slight brownish cast. Instead of a buttonhole on the lapel, it has two grommets. A shirt from Pape of Paris, in my size. RJMAN (late predecessor of RJManbearpig) has called the store a "poor man's Arnys." Shirt is made of a blue/white royal oxford in such a large weave that it looks like a checkerboard. Long collar points, almost wiseguy-ish, with a two button stand; a trim body; and turnback/cocktail cuffs like this other shirt in Pape's window:
chemises4.jpg

Georgia

Reaction score
It's been pretty bad lately. I did find a few things that fit over the holidays: -Southwick black/cream glen plaid blazer -BB 3/2 navy sack -VERY nice Norman Hilton medium charcoal 3/2 sack suit coat - This is one of the nicest Norman Hilton's I've ever found. I searched the store and couldn't find the matching pants, so I'm going to try to match them at H. Stockton. -Brand new pair of gray New Balance 576s - they still had the laces tucked under the tongue. -New Patagonia synchilla snap-t fleece in a color I've never seen - it's Crimson with steel blue details FYI - if anyone comes across any Mountain Khakis pants in size 34-36 x 32, please pick them up for me...
Originally Posted by distinctive
That's true, I think he took it all What is L5P Ed?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things around here a bit spotty, but picking up. This past week turned up NWOB AE Maxfields, near new AE Castines (drivers), very lightly used Alden 971s and these two that I really hoped were going to fit me...
a pair of J&M black hand made brogues, with the spade soles, and a Burberry SB trench. The coat fits, the shoes are 12s, but sadly, too narrow. Things could be worse.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Georgia
-New Patagonia synchilla snap-t fleece in a color I've never seen - it's Crimson with steel blue details

FYI - if anyone comes across any Mountain Khakis pants in size 34-36 x 32, please pick them up for me...

I got a Patagonia Synchilla fleece pullover a couple weeks ago from the Sally. Great for casual wear. I love Patagonia stuff. I've been looking for a pair of Mountain Khakis for over 2 years at a thrift with no luck. Good stuff, though!

MDGD

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Tod's penny loafers for 7.99 (CDN) yesterday. They need a bit of care, but nothing a gentle cleaning and good polish won't resolve. I've been wanting a pair of penny loafers, so it was a nice find.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up something interesing yesterday. Vinatage Izod Lacoste long sleeve polo in size 2x that fits like an XL now. It's in really great shape. I also found a l/s Italian made dress shirt (wasn't familar with the brand) that was tagged in my size, but was a bit small so I gave it to my father in law.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I just got back from one of my locals with nothing in hand. There was a pair of NWT black Danner boots w/vibram sole for $39.99. I would have jumped on it even at that price except that they were a size 15. The sizing made even the thought of reselling impossible.

Nashville

Reaction score
Lately in Atl I have been lucky to find three brooks brothers shirt , two long sleeve summer color scott barbers, One short sleeve linen scott barber and a beautiful Facconable shirt. and two Robert talbot long sleeve shirts. will post pics if requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads