• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike540

Reaction score
Picked up a couple small things this week:a Burberry tie, Baldessarini shirt and Zegna Sport wool sweater at Goodwill for a grand total of $12

Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Just got a Brioni tie at Winners for 31.50, tax in.

Thanks for this. I don't usually go to Winners because they never seem to have much around here. I'll sometimes go to the Winners Outlet in the Heartland Center if I'm in the Toronto area and have got some good finds there but the three here are dissapointing. Anyway, I made it to one so far and they did have one Brioni tie for $40. I didn't care for it so I passed but it's encouraging enough to check out the other two locations.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the local Goodwill to look for records. Came out with two recent Zanella shirts, two Thomas Pink shirts and a Tyrwhitt casual shirt.

I was really shocked. This location rarely has any decent clothing, which is odd because there is a pretty nice neighborhood not too far from there. I think there is either an employee who snatches up anything of value to keep/resell or employees hoard anything that looks remotely nice to send to their "boutique" called Second Debut where they toss it on a "nice" hanger and rack and jack the price up to $10-$35. Once in a great while one or two shirts will slip through the cracks (I've found lone RLPL and Barbera shirts here before) but those are few and very far between.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I envy all the thrift action here. Makes me wish I lived in America. The two best finds from last year that I can remember were a blue Hermes tie with a yellow starburst dots pattern (£15) and a blue Lord's cravat with a tiny red paisley print (£5). But still not worthy compared to some of the finds here

Georgia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
...I've been looking for a pair of Mountain Khakis for over 2 years at a thrift with no luck. Good stuff, though!

I've been lucky - I have found two pair in the past couple months - one pair I had to get altered, and the other was too small, so I gave them to my brother.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a recent Paul Stuart shirt at the Sally today for $2.95
P1010485.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today was a day I just couldn't pull the trigger...

Two OK looking Hickey Freeman shirts in my size and multiple BB shirts of various sizes.

What really got me was the suitings. One Aquascutum suit in gray that was much too small, what appeared to be a bespoke cashmere/silk/wool DB blazer, a really nice camel hair BB jacket that was just too large, a nice tweed jacket made at Guffey's (high end men's store here in Atlanta) and an H. Stockton tweed jacket.

Oh well.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Just can't quit (not that I've tried). In general it's been pretty sad around here, though. Several thrift stores have gone under due to donations drying up. Haven't found anything truly great since the Amedeo Testoni bentivegna welted split toes a few weeks back. No matter how bleak it gets there's always more stuff.

Speak for yourself, I just landed a bespoke Henry Poole last week, fit me like a glove, and there was a Hermes tie left in the pocket to boot. Nicest jacket I have ever found.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Just found a seemingly new Trussardi briefcase. Good quality leather and made in Italy for $3.50!

Wow thats a find.

wranglerwearingarkansan

Reaction score
16 year old kid here, never set foot in a thrift store in my life until today... I was by the Goodwill in Jacksonville, Arkansas (smallish, pretty durn poor town) and decided to go in as I had been inspired by this thread. And what do I find? A perfect condition, 3-2 roll, patch pocket, fully canvassed, herringbone Brooks Brothers blazer in my size for $5!!!!1!1!111!!1! OMG! It needs some tailoring, but once I get that taken care of...You guys don't even understand, I've never worn anything nicer than an H&M suit. Thank you SF for inspiring me to go in there... only problem was everything else sucked absolutely horribly and I think I just got REALLY lucky... but I'm fine with that
smile.gif
I'll probably post some pictures when I have it tailored.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wranglerwearingarkansan
16 year old kid here, never set foot in a thrift store in my life until today... I was by the Goodwill in Jacksonville, Arkansas (smallish, pretty durn poor town) and decided to go in as I had been inspired by this thread. And what do I find? A perfect condition, 3-2 roll, patch pocket, fully canvassed, herringbone Brooks Brothers blazer in my size for $5!!!!1!1!111!!1! OMG! It needs some tailoring, but once I get that taken care of...You guys don't even understand, I've never worn anything nicer than an H&M suit. Thank you SF for inspiring me to go in there... only problem was everything else sucked absolutely horribly and I think I just got REALLY lucky... but I'm fine with that
smile.gif

Very niiiiice.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wranglerwearingarkansan
smile.gif

Welcome to our addiction.
bounce2.gif

TheQ

Reaction score
total newb here, not sure what to look for or how to identify but I made a trip to the salvation army by work for lunch, didn't buy anything but these items seemed notable to me;

Pink striped Talbott dress shirt
Faconnable Sweater
Burberry (from Bullocks) sportcoat/blazer/suit jacket
Valentino Oumo sportcoat/blazer/suit jacket
Hickey Freeman sportcoat/blazer/suit jacket
Barrister sportcoat/blazer/suit jacket
Aquascutum sportcoat/blazer/suit jacket (this one or the Barrister was pure silk)
Canali sportcoat/blazer/suit jacket

some of them were from Bullocks (defunct dept store) probably same guy
also a suit with no brand but a label/tag read "For Customer #____ Style ____" or something to that effect. Looked fairly well built, but then again, I don't have a seasoned eye for these things, any of those worth taking a second look at, to flip or trade?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty fruitless morning at the op shops today. I did find a pure cashmere Charles Tyrwhitt tie for $1, otherwise nada. Probably should have stayed home and watched the cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads