1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

2. mainy

mainy Senior member

I find a lot of shoes, especially Alden. I think a lot of it has to do with what the stores in your market sell - high end dress shoe options are pretty limited here, it's basically Allen Edmonds and Alden on the top end.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ That's the thing. A lot of the thrift stores I go to are in or around Minneapolis/St.Paul. The twin cities has numerous men's clothing shops that sell high end shoes (I know for sure Heimie's Haberdashery in St. Paul stocks EG) and we also have Saks off fifth and a Neiman Marcus. Makes me wonder where the shoes go.....I've seen my fair share of high-end clothing, but never any nice belts or shoes.

4. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Just scored a pair of Barker Black Wolfe Bit Loafers in Mahagony on the Ashfield last for $506 + 43% off at Saks in Beverly Hills. Original price was $725.

They had a bunch of Barker Black, Edward Green and JM Weston all 33% off there.

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

^^ That's the thing. A lot of the thrift stores I go to are in or around Minneapolis/St.Paul. The twin cities has numerous men's clothing shops that sell high end shoes (I know for sure Heimie's Haberdashery in St. Paul stocks EG) and we also have Saks off fifth and a Neiman Marcus. Makes me wonder where the shoes go.....I've seen my fair share of high-end clothing, but never any nice belts or shoes.
    Saks Off Fifth? They have the worse shoes ever - just as bad as Nordstrom's Rack or Filene's Basement -- however, Nordstrom's Rack sometimes gets Tramezzas, and Filene's Basement sometimes gets some decent shoes like Canali when they get a shipment in from Mitchell's of Westport or Bergdorf Goodman -- but SFA NEVER gets good shoes in. Even Neiman Marcus Last Call gets Lobbs and Thom Brown. But the last decent pair of shoes I saw/bought at SFA was like over a decade ago -- a pair of Bruno Magli Chukkas (before the quality of Bruno Magli went way down). SFA sucks. sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks. About the only thing you can get at SFA is Talbott Cufflinks sometimes. And sometimes pocket squares (Etro or Pucci). And those Domenica Spano dress shirts. But shoes? nothing.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I've never ventured into the SOF. It used to be an actual Saks Fifth Ave until about 6 years ago when the main Saks store left and they turned it into an Off Fifth. Since there is no other Saks store in Minnesota, it makes me curious where they get the stuff from. Obviously from the next closest Saks store, but I have no idea where that is. With that said, the discount spot I go to that usually has good stuff gets stuff from the outlet/main store that can't be sold ie: shopworn stuff, MTM stuff that was never picked up, alterations that had begun but never finished, stains, smudges and some stuff is just wrinkled. I've found nice stuff there, though (Fray, Borrelli, Isaia, David Chu, Barbera, Zegna....).

7. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Yeah, I've never ventured into the SOF. It used to be an actual Saks Fifth Ave until about 6 years ago when the main Saks store left and they turned it into an Off Fifth. Since there is no other Saks store in Minnesota, it makes me curious where they get the stuff from. Obviously from the next closest Saks store, but I have no idea where that is. With that said, the discount spot I go to that usually has good stuff gets stuff from the outlet/main store that can't be sold ie: shopworn stuff, MTM stuff that was never picked up, alterations that had begun but never finished, stains, smudges and some stuff is just wrinkled. I've found nice stuff there, though (Fray, Borrelli, Isaia, David Chu, Barbera, Zegna....).

Some good finds there! I'd love to find some Fray shirts...

I could be wrong but I think that the majority of stuff you'll find in a SOF -- like 95% of it -- is made for SOF and wouldn't be sold in a main Saks Fifth Avenue store...

8. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

I've been to a Saks Off Fith and the Neiman's outlets. They're both not that great as far as selection. I've seen some decent ties there but most of the stuff isn't all that great.

9. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Senior member

Hit a Goodwill on the way home and found a Belvest glenplaid d/b silk/wool blazer in nice shape with MOP buttons. They had it marked at $8.99, but this Goodwill is very pricey as that's the same price they had all the dress shirts marked at. I passed on it because the gorge was too low and thus too dated to bother with. Oh well......

Probably worth the $8.99 for the buttons...

10. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I think persistence is key. I stop in a thrift store almost every day. There are 5 directly between my house and my work, so I don't even have to go out of my way. It doesn't take tons of time. There are days when I find nothing, then others when I score big. Today for example, I found 5 ties. 1 Lanvin, 1 Ermenegildo Zegna, and 3 Brooks Brothers. All for $5. A couple days ago, the very same thrift store had nothing.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I hit a certain thrift store everyday because it's so close to home. It helps a lot me on my other hobby (vinyl records) but sucks clothing-wise. I do have a circuit that do I once a week ( 3 Sallys and a Goodwill)

12. sarcasticfolly

sarcasticfolly Senior member

Just found some Brooks Brothers Cordovan Cap-Toes that I might pick up, nearly brand new (price sticker is still partially attached to sole) with minor discoloration on one shoe, ~$69 I believe.

13. DoTheGrownup

DoTheGrownup Senior member

Only a small percentage of the stuff at Off 5th was ever in a regular Saks store. Most of it is overstock stuff bought from wholesalers, just like at Nordstrom Rack. For example, I recently saw a whole rack of HF suits at Off 5th with the model name "Neiman Marcus". You can spot the stuff that came from Saks by the original SFA hangtags. It's usually the best stuff in the store, mostly suits, sport coats, and ties. I've never seen shoes there like this.

It's not necessarily the case that SFA merch in the Off 5th store comes from the closest Saks. One time when I saw a bunch of high end (Kiton, Brioni, Oxxford, etc) stuff in there, the SA told me they sometimes move that stuff around from store to store until it all sells. In the case of the Kiton stuff, it's my understanding that it probably could only come from Miami or (more recently) New York.

14. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Autographed Leon Redbone LP, $.69.

[​IMG]

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Wow, that's an awesome find. Do you collect vinyl as well, Alan? On a similar note, I picked up some vinyl goodies as well from the thrifts today. Also had my first clothing find in what seems like forever: A blue/white pinstripe Oxxford suit in Windsor Flannel for $10. It's dated 1975 but has a surprisingly modern cut. Slim jacket, high button stance w/ 3 button front and slim flat-front trousers. 40R, pity it's too small for me. Will go to the trading post for a bit. [​IMG] [​IMG] - Scored this poorly advertised Zegna sportcoat for 99 cents plus $6.50 S/H [​IMG] And I found this neat mid-century end table for $9. Here is the base (it's at my office) and the glass top is in the car. The glass in mint, no scuffs or scratches. I'll take a pic of it set up when I get it home. I have just the place for this. [​IMG]

16. mainy

mainy Senior member

Had the grand opening of the first Savers in our area today, stopped by that. Holy overpriced crap Batman! They had some nice shirts (few paul smith, d&g, Turnbull and asser) but at 15 to 20 bucks a piece, are you kidding me? All the pants were $10-15, and most of them total junk - used Dockers for 10 bucks, yikes. Yet they had people packed in there, and seemingly thrilled. I was blown away - what a business model, trick people into thinking you're running a charity, when it's really an incredibly overpriced for profit thrift store. Yikes. Needless to say, I did not buy anything. They did have some nice vintage overcoats though, which were the most reasonably priced things in the store at 10-15 bucks.

17. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ All the Savers I've been to are like this, though they do seem to sort through the clothes a little better and weed out the stained and frayed Stafford/Van Heusen shirts. IIRC, some money does go to charity (they buy clothes from charities who don't have a sales outlet, like the Cancer Society for example...well in Minnesota anyway), but not all proceeds go to chairty. I don't go there much as they are too overpriced for my liking. Another over-priced thrift chain around here is called Unique Thrift Stores. Went in once and never will again.

18. mco543

mco543 Senior member

Today i found a charcoal with light blue pinstripe Brooks Brothers Makers suit for 12.00 and 2 more Dior ties for the collection at 2.00 each.

Can anyone give me some info on the BB suit? Where does that line fall in their grand scheme of things?

19. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^^ Wow, that's an awesome find. Do you collect vinyl as well, Alan?

No, although the idea appeals to me. I need to declutter rather than add even more stuff.

20. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Got the table home, not quite sure what to put on it yet - I just tossed some books in it for the time being. It works well with my sofa but I think it clashes with my cube shelf - that may be getting moved soon. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.