• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift fit pics

Sportcoat: Ted Baker linen 1 button, thrifted
Shirt: Michael Kors
Tie: 60's vintage Oscar de la Renta, thrifted
Pants: Brooks Brothers, from hmmurdock
Socks: Topman
Shoes: Allen Edmond's Arlington, thrifted

The top half looks pretty good and although I'm no longer a fan of solid color silk ties (which this appears to be but I might be mistaken), this one seems to work.
The knot is awesome!
35x35px-LL-db5e8bdc_FelixDig.gif
(Maybe just one more tug to tighten it down?) I'm guessing the shirt is a light pink? Again, it seems to go well with the coat and the tie.

Then there's the pants. :uhoh:

Don't get me wrong. I loves me some Brooks Brothers tan but in this fit, they cut you in half in that they don't co-ordinate well with the colors upstairs. These scream for a navy blazer/s.c., IMO. Perhaps a pair of solid charcoal that's halfway to black pants or even something in dark brown would go a long way towards reuniting your legs with your torso. I know it's difficult to make a lighter coat work over darker pants but I don't know what else to suggest here since the coat is so firmly in the middle of the color spectrum.

I really like your haircut as well.

Maybe not the home run you were hoping for but a solid double off the left field wall.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DAMN YOU PEOPLE WITH YOUR SWEET BLACK SLIP ONS THAT ARE ONE SIZE TOO SMALL FOR ME!! :censored:
BTW, whereforearthou, DM7? Finals? Hopefully not deterred by all the politics. Still mourning the loss of Dig's and Klobber's awesome posts (though those were very different situations).

WTF happened to Dig? Wha'd I miss?

BTW, I'm liking those Aldens as well. I have come to accept that loafers for me need to be a bit smaller to keep from flopping off at the heels.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF happened to Dig? Wha'd I miss?
BTW, I'm liking those Aldens as well. I have come to accept that loafers for me need to be a bit smaller to keep from flopping off at the heels.

You announced you weren't thrinftng anymore. You're the dude who thrifted a freaking luxury car! That's a whole other level! Also, nada mas with the action shot thrift fit pics. That's all I meant.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The top half looks pretty good and although I'm no longer a fan of solid color silk ties (which this appears to be but I might be mistaken), this one seems to work.
The knot is awesome!
35x35px-LL-db5e8bdc_FelixDig.gif
(Maybe just one more tug to tighten it down?) I'm guessing the shirt is a light pink? Again, it seems to go well with the coat and the tie.
Then there's the pants.
uhoh.gif

Don't get me wrong. I loves me some Brooks Brothers tan but in this fit, they cut you in half in that they don't co-ordinate well with the colors upstairs. These scream for a navy blazer/s.c., IMO. Perhaps a pair of solid charcoal that's halfway to black pants or even something in dark brown would go a long way towards reuniting your legs with your torso. I know it's difficult to make a lighter coat work over darker pants but I don't know what else to suggest here since the coat is so firmly in the middle of the color spectrum.
I really like your haircut as well.
Maybe not the home run you were hoping for but a solid double off the left field wall.

Hmmm... The shirt is a magenta check and the tie is magenta with white pindot.

The reason I did the tan pants is that the jacket is medium grey with tan pinstripe, so I thought it would tie it together. No? I usually put the magenta top with olive pants, which I could have done here as well.

Thanks for the feedback though, honestly. Still working out the kinks in putting this stuff together.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second I always start my price off cheap, just over what I paid for it. The lower price gets people fighting for it.

This.

i know you like bikes,major heart break today,decided to stop to get cigarettes before heading to my fave thrift store...see a guy walking out with a french made Peugeot with a Brooks Professional (!!!) saddle for $19.99
if i hadnt stopped with cigs it would have been sitting in my garage right now,might be reason enough to quit. 

Owch! Cigs do cost people a lot of money - in more ways than one.

today scored a Kawasaki for $1.99...a vintage Kawasaki desk lamp that is,made in japan.

:slayer:

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I got it a bit better
Looks pretty good -- if you're going to use your couch as a backdrop, maybe use a really short depth of field?

Still gotta work out the tag closeups... Maybe I'll stick with the iPhone

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm... The shirt is a magenta check and the tie is magenta with white pindot. 

The reason I did the tan pants is that the jacket is medium grey with tan pinstripe, so I thought it would tie it together. No? I usually put the magenta top with olive pants, which I could have done here as well. 

Thanks for the feedback though, honestly. Still working out the kinks in putting this stuff together. 

Ah! NOW I get it. The tan pinstripe is overcome on my screen by the grey.

I promised not to complain about photo quality for our thrift fits but some of the finer points can make the difference. Carry on!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You announced you weren't thrinftng anymore. You're the dude who thrifted a freaking luxury car! That's a whole other level! Also, nada mas with the action shot thrift fit pics. That's all I meant.

I must have been asleep when I typed that. I'm still out there but my needs have changed and my focus has tightened considerably. Plus, now I have to find all those damned Bobby Jones golf shirts that I've been leaving behind!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Think I got it a bit better

Still gotta work out the tag closeups... Maybe I'll stick with the iPhone

Agreed; better. No expert, but I lay mine flat for the tag closeups. Lets me pull out the interior tag and show it both in one. And if there's a LP label/Made in Italy/Super 1X0's, etc., I arrange the two sides so you can see all three at once.

BTW, nice suit. Wish it were a 42.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah! NOW I get it. The tan pinstripe is overcome on my screen by the grey.
I promised not to complain about photo quality for our thrift fits but some of the finer points can make the difference. Carry on!

Haha, well, on my huge macbook pro screen the pinstripes and pindots are there

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads