• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So today I go to one store.  I was flipping through suits and sportcoats, seeing nothing but the usual Stafford, Cricketeer, and Jos A Bank.  Finally, I get to the LAST sportcoat on the rack, which appears very nice.  I open to look at the label and BAM...

Side vented, appears recent...  By the pattern, I knew it was definitely a suit jacket, but the pants weren't with it.  I look over the jacket a little closer, AND :fu: :fu:

350x467px-LL-a31a2570_IMG_0191.jpeg

I tell myself, "okay, only a couple small holes, easily reweavable.  If I find the pants its still totally worth it."  I frantically flipped through the pants rack, and ahead I see some gray nailhead pants in the same color.  SCORE.  I head over to the pants, and as I'm getting closer I see the purple label with cursive writing.  FINALLY my luck has turned around.  Then I actually read the writing on the label...

MOTHER ******

Talk about wanting to punch Ron Cherskin.  I would like to take baseball bat to Mr. Flussers knee caps.

Obviously, I searched the whole store and never found the pants.  Still, it felt wrong to pass on a $5 RLPL jacket, so I picked it up. Maybe there's some guy out there with gray nailhead RLPL pants that has been waiting for this jacket to come along...

I'm somewhat new, and I've never found RLPL at a thrift store, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that you made a mistake. Even for five bucks. I've done the same thing with high-end labels, none of which fit, and always regretted it. A hole is a hole is a hole--if you paid to fix it, you'd be into it for fifty bucks, easily, then in the position of having to find someone who a, knows and appreciates Purple Label and, b, knowing that, would still buy an orphan. That's a tall order. I wouldn't wear an orphan no matter who made it, although some might. Tough to walk away, I know, but walk away you should: The odds are better on a $5 Harris Tweed, regardless of maker, with no holes.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the vintage 346 stuff being quality. I have what sounds to be pretty much the exact same suit in a 3-piece (recently rocked in a thrift-fit: http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/28260#post_5270844), and it is amazing. Nice heavy flannel, extremely well-made. Great stuff.

Yes and no. The old stuff is fab--I have a flannel suit found at GW that's the bomb, as well made as any mainline BB these days. I couldn't sell it for squirrel doo-doo, but, fortunately, it fits and is a staple in cool weather. Ebay fools notwithstanding, any 346 is a tough flip, even on AAAC, even the vintage stuff that's the equivalent of, I daresay, RLPL (yes, I think that a fair amount of old-school 346 is that good). There are too many label whores and too few aficionados. Vintage JAB is another example. It is well-made and thoughtful--and utterly worthless. I sob most every time I see it when it's not my size, I rejoice when it fits. That is, should be, the magic of thrifting: Finding unique stuff that works for you. Finding stuff to flip is only a bonus.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
I'm somewhat new, and I've never found RLPL at a thrift store, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that you made a mistake. Even for five bucks. I've done the same thing with high-end labels, none of which fit, and always regretted it. A hole is a hole is a hole--if you paid to fix it, you'd be into it for fifty bucks, easily, then in the position of having to find someone who a, knows and appreciates Purple Label and, b, knowing that, would still buy an orphan. That's a tall order. I wouldn't wear an orphan no matter who made it, although some might. Tough to walk away, I know, but walk away you should: The odds are better on a $5 Harris Tweed, regardless of maker, with no holes.

I wanted a little of that swagger that comes with being able to gaze at afar horizon through eyes of chipped granite and say with a slow, manly sniff, "Yeah, I've bought a Ralph Lauren Purple Label jacket."

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

To me that looks incredibly different. The top is some kind of purple-ish dark red-ish, like a bruise or something. It looks like the drapes in my grandmother's home. The Drakes has many differences; the color, shapes, open space between the shapes that allows for more of the showing of the base color. Plus, I don't wear ties just because the say "Drakes" on them. Sorry I don't know what you're going for here.
fight[1].gif

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Totally agree...I mentioned yesterday about passing on an otherwise sweet looking Aquascutum. Sadly I have no clue where to look for a reweaver even if I found one in my size that hod a hole.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...and Oscar De La Renta
...and that 500th Botany guy

To me, the biggest offender is Van Heusen. If I had the magical ability to make everything produced by them disappear, the thrifts I frequent would only have half the inventory.

Edit: 5% of the inventory. From Wikipedia:

PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH) is an American apparel company, and the world's largest shirt company. It owns brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Van Heusen, Izod, Arrow, G. H. Bass and licenses brands such as Geoffrey Beene, BCBG Max Azria, Chaps, Sean John, Kenneth Cole New York, JOE Joseph Abboud and MICHAEL Michael Kors."

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add Kirkland shirts to that. It sells in thrifts more expensive than Costco itself, always throws me off when quick scanning bc actually not so bad quality so makes me lose valuable seconds.

46n2

Reaction score
Found a Steffano Ricci tie, L Barbera tie, Filson Whipcord 100% wool pants unhemmed 36X36, Armani Collezioni wool/cashmere pants 33X32, and PRL made in italy wool pants 36X34 at Ye Olde GW. available

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a veritable who's who list of which makers to avoid like the effing plague.

To me, the biggest offender is Van Heusen. If I had the magical ability to make everything produced by them disappear, the thrifts I frequent would only have half the inventory.
Edit: 5% of the inventory. From Wikipedia:
PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH) is an American apparel company, and the world's largest shirt company. It owns brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Van Heusen, Izod, Arrow, G. H. Bass and licenses brands such as Geoffrey Beene, BCBG Max Azria, Chaps, Sean John, Kenneth Cole New York, JOE Joseph Abboud and MICHAEL Michael Kors."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads