The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I'm somewhat new, and I've never found RLPL at a thrift store, but I'll go out on a limb here and say that you made a mistake. Even for five bucks. I've done the same thing with high-end labels, none of which fit, and always regretted it. A hole is a hole is a hole--if you paid to fix it, you'd be into it for fifty bucks, easily, then in the position of having to find someone who a, knows and appreciates Purple Label and, b, knowing that, would still buy an orphan. That's a tall order. I wouldn't wear an orphan no matter who made it, although some might. Tough to walk away, I know, but walk away you should: The odds are better on a $5 Harris Tweed, regardless of maker, with no holes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:

[​IMG]

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

...and Nautica, or as my mom calls it, Nautical.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

+1 on the vintage 346 stuff being quality. I have what sounds to be pretty much the exact same suit in a 3-piece (recently rocked in a thrift-fit: http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/28260#post_5270844), and it is amazing. Nice heavy flannel, extremely well-made. Great stuff.

6. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I wanted a little of that swagger that comes with being able to gaze at afar horizon through eyes of chipped granite and say with a slow, manly sniff, "Yeah, I've bought a Ralph Lauren Purple Label jacket."

7. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    To me that looks incredibly different. The top is some kind of purple-ish dark red-ish, like a bruise or something. It looks like the drapes in my grandmother's home. The Drakes has many differences; the color, shapes, open space between the shapes that allows for more of the showing of the base color. Plus, I don't wear ties just because the say "Drakes" on them. Sorry I don't know what you're going for here. [​IMG]

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Its OK. :)

9. PhillNYC

PhillNYC New Member

Could be the right word, I'm new to this. But what do you think about the suit deal?

10. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Few, ok good. [​IMG]

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Totally agree...I mentioned yesterday about passing on an otherwise sweet looking Aquascutum. Sadly I have no clue where to look for a reweaver even if I found one in my size that hod a hole.

12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

To me, the biggest offender is Van Heusen. If I had the magical ability to make everything produced by them disappear, the thrifts I frequent would only have half the inventory.

Edit: 5% of the inventory. From Wikipedia:

PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH) is an American apparel company, and the world's largest shirt company. It owns brands such as Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Van Heusen, Izod, Arrow, G. H. Bass and licenses brands such as Geoffrey Beene, BCBG Max Azria, Chaps, Sean John, Kenneth Cole New York, JOE Joseph Abboud and MICHAEL Michael Kors."

13. catside

catside Senior member

Add Kirkland shirts to that. It sells in thrifts more expensive than Costco itself, always throws me off when quick scanning bc actually not so bad quality so makes me lose valuable seconds.

14. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Found a Steffano Ricci tie, L Barbera tie, Filson Whipcord 100% wool pants unhemmed 36X36, Armani Collezioni wool/cashmere pants 33X32, and PRL made in italy wool pants 36X34 at Ye Olde GW. available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That's a veritable who's who list of which makers to avoid like the effing plague.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.