The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

Can you believe I hit up TWO stores today and couldn't find a solid navy suit in 40S from a reputable company!? I mean, come on, right!?

Did grab a nice LL Bean cotton barn jacket with contrast corduroy collar. Looks like a Barbour rip-off - but, I basically live in other people's discarded clothes, so I'm not complaining. Of course, it comes as 70 degree weather returns to the Potomac. There's always next season...

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

On the Ask Andy Trad thrift forum it does. Don't expect to get rich from it though, but it does sell.

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Found a denim RRL shirt today - two front pockets, interesting - but that collar with no fold-over or points to it.

Also, I'd like to extend a personal punch in the face to the following:

Hunt Club
    J. Ashford
    Alan Flusser

A shiny wooden nickel to anyone who figures out the common thread and reason. :cloud:

4. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am just a beginner. And I think I got a touch lucky. I missed out on a few items because I wasn't sure what they were. I left a Drizabone waxed bushranger jacket that was going for £8 in one shop. When I looked on ebay they were going for £80 - £90. I was back in the shop within the hour but it had gone. I'll be browsing through these forums trying to familiarise myself with the brands, The Dunhill was the same. It had been reduced from £12 to £6. I left that, too, but that was still there when I went back! The woman on the till told me that after two weeks on the £6 rack whatever hasn't sold then goes to rags! Unreal. Plastered a ceiling this morning and then in my dinner hour picked up a T M Lewin Super 110s merino jacket today for £5.60 and a John Francomb ( T M Lewin ) jacket for £6. Not suits, only jackets...I've noticed that when you get a nice suit on the rails if you look on the shirts rail you get a few nice shirts as well. When I got the Aquascutum I looked on the shirt rail and there were five Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, though i didn't buy them at £3 each. Think I'll stick to the suits and coats. I'll upload a few more photos in the next day or so. Thanks for the advice.

5. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am just a beginner. And I think I got a touch lucky. I missed out on a few items because I wasn't sure what they were. I left a Drizabone waxed bushranger jacket that was going for £8 in one shop. When I looked on ebay they were going for £80 - £90. I was back in the shop within the hour but it had gone. I'll be browsing through these forums trying to familiarise myself with the brands, The Dunhill was the same. It had been reduced from £12 to £6. I left that, too, but that was still there when I went back! The woman on the till told me that after two weeks on the £6 rack whatever hasn't sold then goes to rags! Unreal. Plastered a ceiling this morning and then in my dinner hour picked up a T M Lewin Super 110s merino jacket today for £5.60 and a John Francomb ( T M Lewin ) jacket for £6. Not suits, only jackets...I've noticed that when you get a nice suit on the rails if you look on the shirts rail you get a few nice shirts as well. When I got the Aquascutum I looked on the shirt rail and there were five Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, though i didn't buy them at £3 each. Think I'll stick to the suits and coats. I'll upload a few more photos in the next day or so. Thanks for the advice.

6. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

[​IMG]

7. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

You get one free pass [​IMG] Keep an eye out for that 46C (36S) stuff over there as I (or a few other people here) might be interested in the small suits [​IMG]

10. catside

catside Senior member

Loungelizard, when you find a jacket it pays to check the pants section to see if it is a separated suit.

11. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I need to get the hang of the uploading. Would anyone have any advice on the Brioni / Park Lane Collection question? Should I perhaps post that in another thread? Thanks

12. LOUNGELIZARD

LOUNGELIZARD Member

[​IMG] Thanks Catside!. Of course, why didn't I think of that? I'll be retracing my steps over the weekend. Thanks[​IMG]

13. PhillNYC

PhillNYC New Member

First post here after reading - trolling for a while.

I just picked up a CoralloRosso suit at Off5th for $230. I couldn't help myself and also bought a nice saks label tie for $30.

14. catside

catside Senior member

I did not notice you trolling maybe lurking?:)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  15. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Alright, so my semi-daily bragging post is coming in an hour or so when I get to my camera.

For now, I have a question about something I left behind.

I found 5 pairs of J Fenestrier for Barneys shoes. They were in almost unworn condition, and priced at $20 each (Size 10.5 I think). They seemed to be very nice quality, and sweet styles, however the information I pulled off ebay led me to believe that they wouldn't sell for much more than $20. This seems ridiculous. Does anyone know more about this maker, and their value?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.