The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

This is, no shit, the most brilliant thing I've read in a long time.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Had a good day today. No clothing finds worth mentioning. I did score this mint Dual CS 701 turntable with the original packaging. $25. Perfect for my basement system I've been working on. Finding a semi-decent turntable these days is a feat in itself. I haven't even seen a cheapie in months. It's nothing close to the Rega P2 I have upstairs, but it's still a very respectable table.

Pictured in it's new home along side a amplifier and tuner that I bought off TheWGP (also thrift finds). Thanks again! My system is now 80% complete. Now I just need to get my vintage Harms Labs speakers refoamed and I'm set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found a black s/b Acquacutum overcoat. Not super heavy but not exactly light either. Storm-shed (I think) fabric. Dated 1959. Tagged a 40 R. I'll post a couple pictures tomorrow (it's at my office). Available if anyone is interested.

3. vexco

vexco Senior member

I finally thrifted something I've been needing lately...

..a job!

But on a serious note...came home empty handed today. Been Polo University Club around this bitch tho.

4. CuffLinks28

CuffLinks28 Active Member

guilty...I thought I'd see some interesting reply posts.[​IMG]

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Did we already mention Hagar? For some reason, my "hand" is perpetually fooled by their pyrite-like fabric.

Just gonna give a +1 (while I :hide:) to pnutpug for this:
    I've seen crap by "the names" that I'd rather kill with fire than either buy (even to flip) or wear. And I've seen, and routinely wear (and daresay make look good), stuff that appeals to me by makers that get routinely trounced on this and other threads. (Witness: My excitement at the vtg Flusser SC, which looks KILLER, only to have them trounced 2 pages later) To be sure, my judgment and tastes are maturing the more I learn from this esteemed lot. But I hope I never stop buying interesting pieces completely irrespective of what random assemblage of letters is on the label.

PS: Not at all the mission statement of this thread, but if folks were interested, I'd like to start a thread where we'd all share our "interesting" pieces, not just our absurdly expensive pieces. Interest check?

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I think they call that style of collar a Mandarin collar. If it's on a suit jacket or sport coat, I think they call it a Nehru jacket. I was never into that style of collar personally.

7. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

what a handsome tie i will buy this tie from you for 100 us dollars

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Bares a slight resemblance to RLPL, doesn't it? :laugh:
    Literally laughed out loud. Wife asked what was so funny and I told her she wouldn't understand. She didn't... Still, :laugh: I can also think of a maker that I want to punch. Kiton! Damn you for eluding me ever since I started thrifting some 10 years ago!

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Seriously. It's becoming quite the task to keep up with this thread. If someone would start a "Best of"  version of this thread, a daily or weekly digest, that would be fantastic.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I couldn't disagree more. You did not make a mistake if you are just looking to make a few bucks. I just sold an orphaned RLPL black flannel chalkstripe jacket (about as non sport coat as you can get) for $150. It was in very good condition and sat on ebay for a few months, but sold. Also have sold Brioni suits with a hole here or there (I make 110% sure to note them in a listing and take detailed pictures) for $250+. I would buy almost any super high end item for $5 and just toss it on ebay either with a high price BIN OBO or start it at what you paid and see what happens. Your NOT going to lose money buying a $5 RLPL jacket with a hole thats for sure. Just my 2 cents.

a) got to love ebay people who know what Purple Label is
    b) still got to love ebay people dont have a sense what an orphan is

Just because you wouldnt wear an orphan, has no bearing on him making a mistake buying that jacket.

PS - pnutpug, send me all your $5 RLPL, Brioni, Kiton suits and jackets that have holes. I'll front you the cash [​IMG]

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ +1

12. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I always check the quality of the buttons on an orphan / sport coat. I recently bought an orphan Isaia double breasted suit jacket, Canali Proposta black blazer, & a thrashed 60 year old gray flannel blazer. After spending 3 different days looking for the Isaia pants, I gutted each jacket for buttons. The Isaia had about 15 or 17 genuine horn buttons on it, the Canali Proposta had a full set of smoked MOP buttons on it, and the thrashed gray blazer had a Columbia University bullion patch (the school patch was woven of copper bullion wire on chenille whereas modern school patches are woven out of nylon on chenille) & a full set of Columbia University blazer buttons (a new set of the blazer buttons costs $129 through the Columbia University book store). The cost of buttons alone sometimes makes buying orphans, damaged sport coats, etc. worthwhile.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  13. grendel

grendel Senior member

INTERESTING... filing that one away for future use, thanks!

14. CuffLinks28

CuffLinks28 Active Member

[​IMG]

15. catside

catside Senior member

Did you sell the horn buttons?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.