• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
macintosh85 been had Hermes jackets.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my first time playing the "What thrift stuff did you wear today" so be gentle. And I'll emphasize: I wore this all day, so please excuse the wrinkled trousers. Literally everything except soxers and boxers was bought at either a thrift, a discount store, on Ebay or a tag sale.
Overcoat: Very vintage (c. 1940's?) overcoat by unknown maker using Crombie fabric. PRISTINE condition. Jacket: Burgundy velvet peak lapel single vent, working button holes and real horn buttons by Kenneth Cole (DON'T HATE! It looks good). Pocket square: Silk of unknown origin. Sweater: BB mainline, 100% merino. Tie: Banana Republic from my recent post (again, DON'T HATE! I told you it would look good under a sweater.) Shirt: Ike Behar blue on blue plaid/windowpane Watch: Nuffin' special (Timex), tag sale, $0.25 Trousers: BBGF reverse orphan, feels like Loro Piana (soft as clouds) but I can't find a tag. Blue on blue glenplaid, with light blue overcheck Belt: Nuffin' special, courtesy of by TJ Maxx. Shoes: AE Brewsters in a whiskey color (Have they seen better days? Yes. Are they comfortable? Yes. Do I love the color and patina? YES.) Total outfit cost: $100, just about on the nose.
Others may disagree, but that's about the best this tired, old, bald and heavy penny shines up.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I think you could use a little contrast between tie and pocket square. Otherwise very nice.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, first post of stuff I've found, all recent. No Hermes or RLPL, I'm afraid.

Bruno Magli Raging loafers. Uppers fine, some wear to soles, but nothing major--I'd grade them B+, and I like to think I'm picky.

I really wish these ones fit, as they are my preferred aesthetic, but, sadly, no. I run across a lot of vintage longwings, but few in this shade of chocolate. These are Nettletons. The uppers are perfect, the soles are still thick, the heel covers (is that the right term?) in need of replacement, but nothing serious or expensive. This are GW fresh (I polished the Brunos).

Finally, a Pendleton shirt. These run thick around here (a Royal Stewart pattern with an itty-bitty hole in the center of the back--you really had to look--languished for more than a week before someone bought it), with this one being a good example. And it fits, which is good, because you can never have enough Pendletons.

And so, that's my first post of stuff I've found. Nothing earth-shattering, but a fair representation of what's available around here during any given week of daily visits.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any members here into the Members Only vintage look? I thrifted a 40" Members Only Suede Brown Jacket today, available

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I think you could use a little contrast between tie and pocket square. Otherwise very nice.

Yeah, pocket squares are a very recent addition to my repetoire, and I'm still getting a feel for it. Here, I liked the fact that the tie was red dots on an ivory field, and the square was ivory dots on a red field. And they were, together, the only non-angular, non-solid in the ensemble. But I could see how they were too close.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know! Hermes, Isaia, fancy hats, etc etc. Being part of this community is a rather humbling experience. All I got today is a no name paisley Italian silk pocket square for a pal. I'm not gonna go to any thrift store until Saturday. I need to chill.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree. Nettletons are AE quality if not Alden IMHO.

I am, of course, biased, but I would agree. I have one pair of Nellies, plain-toe bluchers and dead stock when I got them, and they are way, way up there in terms of comfort, let alone style.

mat135ta

Reaction score

Here's that Hermes Jacket. It's for sale if anyone is interested or I'll list it on ebay tomorrow.

It's a 3 button, Navy Hermes Blazer. It's fully lined, has double rear vents and nice pick stitching. There is also a ticket pocket and surgeons cuffs. Horn buttons and super 100's wool.
Measurements are 20.25 from shoulder seam to shoulder seam, 32 from bottom of the collar to bottom of the jacket and 26.5 on the sleeves.

I took a close up of the hole on the sleeve. It is quite small and because almost all the fabric is still there, it should be easy to fix. I went over the jacket with a fine tooth comb. I found one more hole on the back of the right sleeve. It's smaller than the first one. It wouldn't show up in a pic. And the top button has a small scrape on it. These aren't major problems, very small in fact, but I want to be as honest as possible.
If any one is iterated in making me an offer or has any questions, shoot me a PM. 

Nice to know a Hermes that was made by Belvest.

Speaking of Belvest, I saw a Barneys New York house brand 100% cashmere jacket, made by Belvest since the label and all the little details matched exatly to an orphaned double breasted Belvest suit jacket hanging next to it. Both were in my size, but the cashmere jacket had holes everywhere. So needless to say, I didn't buy either. Now I think that I should have asked the manager to sell it to me for a buck or two to use as shoe rags. It would be a very high end shoe rag made by the same maker for Hermes :slayer: BTW, the cashmere was really soft.

mat135ta

Reaction score

valium

Reaction score
damn i have a Kiton orphaned Jacket (3 button,charcoal grey in 44R) that had only one small hole on the sleeve and didnt think anybody would want it,might be time to get an ebay acct.

I really didn't think it would sell at the buy it now, because of the holes. I guess I could have made some more money. Aw well I'll know for next time. It only cost me 28$ though so not a bad profit.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally, a Pendleton shirt. These run thick around here (a Royal Stewart pattern with an itty-bitty hole in the center of the back--you really had to look--languished for more than a week before someone bought it), with this one being a good example. And it fits, which is good, because you can never have enough Pendletons.

:slayer:

I have this same shirt. Purchased new in 1981. Rounded button-shut flap pockets, right? I love the colors/pattern and it's my favorite Pendleton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads