The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

macintosh85 been had Hermes jackets.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Here is my first time playing the "What thrift stuff did you wear today" so be gentle. And I'll emphasize: I wore this all day, so please excuse the wrinkled trousers. Literally everything except soxers and boxers was bought at either a thrift, a discount store, on Ebay or a tag sale.
    [​IMG] Overcoat: Very vintage (c. 1940's?) overcoat by unknown maker using Crombie fabric. PRISTINE condition. [​IMG] Jacket: Burgundy velvet peak lapel single vent, working button holes and real horn buttons by Kenneth Cole (DON'T HATE! It looks good). Pocket square: Silk of unknown origin. [​IMG][​IMG] Sweater: BB mainline, 100% merino. Tie: Banana Republic from my recent post (again, DON'T HATE! I told you it would look good under a sweater.) Shirt: Ike Behar blue on blue plaid/windowpane [​IMG] Watch: Nuffin' special (Timex), tag sale, $0.25 Trousers: BBGF reverse orphan, feels like Loro Piana (soft as clouds) but I can't find a tag. Blue on blue glenplaid, with light blue overcheck Belt: Nuffin' special, courtesy of by TJ Maxx. [​IMG] Shoes: AE Brewsters in a whiskey color (Have they seen better days? Yes. Are they comfortable? Yes. Do I love the color and patina? YES.) Total outfit cost: $100, just about on the nose.
    Others may disagree, but that's about the best this tired, old, bald and heavy penny shines up.

3. catside

catside Senior member

Well I think you could use a little contrast between tie and pocket square. Otherwise very nice.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

OK, first post of stuff I've found, all recent. No Hermes or RLPL, I'm afraid.

Bruno Magli Raging loafers. Uppers fine, some wear to soles, but nothing major--I'd grade them B+, and I like to think I'm picky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I really wish these ones fit, as they are my preferred aesthetic, but, sadly, no. I run across a lot of vintage longwings, but few in this shade of chocolate. These are Nettletons. The uppers are perfect, the soles are still thick, the heel covers (is that the right term?) in need of replacement, but nothing serious or expensive. This are GW fresh (I polished the Brunos).

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Finally, a Pendleton shirt. These run thick around here (a Royal Stewart pattern with an itty-bitty hole in the center of the back--you really had to look--languished for more than a week before someone bought it), with this one being a good example. And it fits, which is good, because you can never have enough Pendletons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And so, that's my first post of stuff I've found. Nothing earth-shattering, but a fair representation of what's available around here during any given week of daily visits.

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

those wingtips are sweet. any idea what size they are?

6. JChance

JChance Senior member

any members here into the Members Only vintage look? I thrifted a 40" Members Only Suede Brown Jacket today, available

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Yeah, pocket squares are a very recent addition to my repetoire, and I'm still getting a feel for it. Here, I liked the fact that the tie was red dots on an ivory field, and the square was ivory dots on a red field. And they were, together, the only non-angular, non-solid in the ensemble. But I could see how they were too close.

8. catside

catside Senior member

You know! Hermes, Isaia, fancy hats, etc etc. Being part of this community is a rather humbling experience. All I got today is a no name paisley Italian silk pocket square for a pal. I'm not gonna go to any thrift store until Saturday. I need to chill.

9. catside

catside Senior member

Agree. Nettletons are AE quality if not Alden IMHO.

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

11C, and available.

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I am, of course, biased, but I would agree. I have one pair of Nellies, plain-toe bluchers and dead stock when I got them, and they are way, way up there in terms of comfort, let alone style.

12. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

Nice to know a Hermes that was made by Belvest.

Speaking of Belvest, I saw a Barneys New York house brand 100% cashmere jacket, made by Belvest since the label and all the little details matched exatly to an orphaned double breasted Belvest suit jacket hanging next to it. Both were in my size, but the cashmere jacket had holes everywhere. So needless to say, I didn't buy either. Now I think that I should have asked the manager to sell it to me for a buck or two to use as shoe rags. It would be a very high end shoe rag made by the same maker for Hermes :slayer: BTW, the cashmere was really soft.

13. mat135ta

mat135ta Senior member

It was easily the best Chester Barrie that I ever thrifted. I thought it fits you...

14. valium

valium Senior member

damn i have a Kiton orphaned Jacket (3 button,charcoal grey in 44R) that had only one small hole on the sleeve and didnt think anybody would want it,might be time to get an ebay acct.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer:

I have this same shirt. Purchased new in 1981. Rounded button-shut flap pockets, right? I love the colors/pattern and it's my favorite Pendleton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.