Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Couple nice finds for the impending spring/summer.

Recent Oxxford Navy Blazer (dated 12/04) for the big boys 48R
    [​IMG]
    Ch: 25.5"
    Sh: 20.25"
    L: 32.25"
    Sl: 24.25"
    Some wear on the gold buttons

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

HF Wool Silk Sportcoat 42R
    [​IMG]
    Ch: 22.75"
    Sh: 20.25"
    L: 30.5"
    Sl: 24.25"
    [​IMG]

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Damn, I go to the restroom and there's 500 new posts. Can I put in an order for Brianpore's Thrift Minutes?

Tomorrow: Missoni cardigan + Missoni polo (not from Target, the worthless made in Italy kind :D )

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

3. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Damn! You got me all excited since I Been Had Target.

I got no interest in the real stuff.

4. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

:facepalm: That wont last 10 minutes with a BIN of $199 - there will be no bidding war. Tell the guy to jack the BIN to $300. When bidding heats up, someone will be afraid of losing it and will hit the $300 button. $300 smells better than $200 in my book.

5. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

+ 1 If one of the big boys sees this listing at that price with those pics. $200 would be a steal. No doubt in my mind after they did the pics the right way it would be an easy flip for a couple hundred more.

Of course now thanks to Brian's bid i'm pretty sure his listing is locked.:crazy:

And there it goes.

6. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Strange, but predictable. I see bikes in a state of complete disrepair sell for $30+ at Goodwill, minutes after they put it out.

On specific time I kick myself for over and over. I found an English made, mid1970s Raleigh road bike in a Goodwill priced at $30. It was a very large frame -- too large for me -- so I walked away from it. Big mistake. I changed my mind, turned around, and it was gone.

The best bike I've thrifted was a 1963 Raleigh Sports. Found it while exploring random little thrift stores in a rougher area. Got it for $30. Classic red paint that is in excellent condition, with a great patina. Just down the street from that, I also found a pre-WWII Sasieni pipe for $5 I ended up selling for $250 or so. That was a good day.

Jealous. I've been thinking about hitting up pawn shops, but I always seem to stumble into the "our shit don't stink" pawn shops.

I did pick up an '88 Pinarello Treviso off craigslist for $200 once. That bike road incredibly well. Unfortunately, I had to sell it a while back.

If you ever want to sell that Fuso, let me know. ;)

Thinking about it, I'm going to put it into my sig, but I'd like to expand the search. If anyone sees any of the following brands of bikes, buy them immediately and I will reward you greatly:

Raleigh (only English made)
    Pinarello
    Colnago
    Bianchi
    Turner
    Litespeed
    Lynskey
    Ellsworth
    Pivot
    Moots

There are probably a few more I didn't think of, and it's unlikely any of those will ever turn up, but it's worth a shot. :)

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Wont go into too much detail, but:

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• How about one of these:
      [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• [​IMG][​IMG]
      Amazing transformation Dig and a very well earned Congratulations. This is truly inpsirational. You should start a 'Before And After' thread on MC. The world should see this and take strength from your good example.
    • Brand New (with department store tags) Optimo of Chicago for Wilkes Bashford fedora in a rich dark brown felt. Wide-brimmed with an extra high crown. $49 but I think these hats retail for $595 and up.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• I think this may count as one of my best hauls ever. Definitely up there with the 10 recent Brioni suits I found several years back. Was out with SF member Beck today. Hit about 4 stores and didn't have much luck. I found a canvas and leather Polo RL Sportsman game vest. Nothing to brag about. Last stop of the day and I see a rack of "new arrivals" that has some suits/jackets on it. I start to look and the first thing I see is this wool RLPL puffer jacket. My heart skips a beat and I'm literally shaking as I keep going down the line. I see a Borrelli label, red collar labels that could be Isaia, tell-tale Zegna "Made in Switzerland" and 'Made in Italy" labels. All grabbed. Then shirts..... Absolutely insane. Well, pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'll let them do the rest of the talking:

- Two very recent Isaia (my first red label finds) sportcoats. Peak lapel is a pure Cashmere/Silk blend. The other is Super 140s. Both side vented. Keeping both for myself (euro 54 R), so it'll take some good coin to pry these away from me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Recent Zegna Houndstooth Cashmere sportcoat and Borrelli Luxury Vintage white linen blazer. Both side vented. Both Euro 56 R and available.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Bills Khakis fleece 1/4 zip and a super heavy indigo sweater from Dickie Walter.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

- Dress shirts from Etro (Euro 42) and Stefano Ricci (Euro 41/ US 16). Ricci is amazing. French cuffs and has killer octagon tonal MOP buttons! (both avaliable)

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

- Robert Graham & Blake ( both L and available) casual shirts. Can't find much about Blake. Made in the USA and obviously from the same donor as the rest of the stuff, so it's expensive. I got it merely for casual wear on my Calif. trip at the end of the month unless someone really can't live without it.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

- Burberry maroon logo T-shirt (XL) and RLPL pink polo shirt (L). Both available.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

.... and the piece de resistance.....an RLPL wool down puffer jacket. XL. Made in Italy. Missing one zipper pull. Available.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

All these items were purchased by SF member Beck. I just took the photos and said I'd do some bragging for him as he's got a busy night ahead of him. AKAIK, everything is for sale. If you have any interest in any of these items, please don't PM me as I really don't want a bunch of messages regarding items that I don't own. PM him, please (see link below).

http://www.styleforum.net/u/148320/beck

- RLPL (made in England) Blackwatch Plaid 100% Cashmere Sportcoat. Ticket Pocket. Side vented. 44 R. Best FU jacket ever!! Also, recent Zegna mainline cashmere/rayon sportcoat. Side vented as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Robert Graham casual shirt (L) and RLBL casual tux (pleated bib) shirt (sz 16).

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

- Dolce & Gabbana Tailored Fit dress shirt (16) and RLPL silk floral L/S shirt (L)

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

- Crazy Etro shirt ( Eu 42) and Isaia Napoli dress shirt ( 16.5)

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I was just trying to help the guy out... it was locked but ebay changed the policy that it has to be within 75% of the BIN (I think or in the last 24 hours) for the BIN to go away.

My guess is a lurker here saw it and bought it after I posted it [​IMG] and we will see it back on the forum and ebay in a few days....then again, he got what he was asking so he cant be too bummed I guess...

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Oh it sold already. I have the sight - I see the future. My prediction was correct.

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I had a friend who used to find, on a fairly regular basis, some pretty decent rides, up to the Cannondale (from the late 80s, early 90s) level. After that, slim pickings. I once found a Sekai 5000, with, IIRC, Ishiwata tubing. A few years ago, I found a Gitane club racer, 80s vintage, for ten bucks that fixed up perfect, tape included, for around $50. Columbus tubing, forged drop-outs and, of course, the dreaded French thread. But a real fun bike--performance-wise, it compares well with top-end Italian bikes, only uglier.

11. macintosh85

macintosh85 Well-Known Member

I really didn't think it would sell at the buy it now, because of the holes. I guess I could have made some more money. Aw well I'll know for next time. It only cost me 28$ though so not a bad profit.

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

The next time I find an Hermes jacket, orphan or otherwise, in a thrift store will be the first time.

13. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Heh heh, those French make some crazy bikes. Which level of Columbus tubing? I might be interested in purchasing it if you still have it/you're willing to sell. Also, if you still have that friend and he wants to make some quick money, I'm your man. :slayer:

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've only found Hermes ties and three shirts in 8-9 years of thrifting. At least you're optimistic... :D

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That's the right outlook dude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.