• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I will likely still get the Alden's because I've been wanting to own a pair for about a year now. The issue is that I was looking to get black cap toe for the office and now I own a pair already.
I just noticed a really nice pair of tan monkstrap shoes on their site where the price has been knocked down $140 so I can justify using my Alden money on those since I don't own any similar shoes.

140 dollar NIB Aldens? Never seen one. Where?

I thought the same thing, but I think he means they were knocked down by140, not knocked down to140.

Last edited:

Everett464

Reaction score
I read it that way at first too, but I think he means $140 off.
Quote:

Everett464

Reaction score
Behind the curve as usual...
ffffuuuu.gif

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread moves so fast that this didn't get any attention. I would like to see pics as picking up a platinum Bucherer watch in a thrift store $10 would be quite a find, maybe the best find of the whole thread.

Over the summer I came across a, what I believe was, a 1930's Platinum Elgin Windup Tank watch with diamonds. The watch didn't work, but I understood it was a really collectable piece. I payed almost nothing for it and it was probably the best single item I have ever had, as far as ornate designs, worksmanship, and what I sold it for. I used to dabble in watches a little but haven't had the opporunity to hit the places I used too. I used to go through hundreds and hundreds in giant bins. I would usually come up empty but sometimes find vintage Hamilton, Enicar, Bulova, longines, and Gruen.

elev8rz

Reaction score
$1 Kiton
$1 Bullock & Jones (never heard of this one before, anyone know about it? seems to be quality construction)

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was a day of heartbreak. I hit a few stores and came up with nothing. Went into one store and found two orphans. One Gieves and Hawkes and the other, Holland and Sherry. I searched the entire store looking for the pants but came up empty. I found myself go into shock, sitting on the floor with the jackets in my hand sobbing like a small child. Unfortunately, they were clearly orphans and I had to leave them and move on.

46n2

Reaction score
Found some Florsheim Imperial Longwings today SZ 10 1/2 D. Too small for me.
frown.gif
But still cool ! They have the green stitching, but they're not shell. Wasn't somebody wondering about that? Anybody know what year these are from?

hmmurdock

Reaction score

Today was a day of heartbreak. I hit a few stores and came up with nothing. Went into one store and found two orphans. One Gieves and Hawkes and the other, Holland and Sherry. I searched the entire store looking for the pants but came up empty. I found myself go into shock, sitting on the floor with the jackets in my hand sobbing like a small child. Unfortunately, they were clearly orphans and I had to leave them and move on.

Perhaps they could have been purchased and turned into a lovely pair of ovenmitts.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the summer I came across a, what I believe was, a 1930's Platinum Elgin Windup Tank watch with diamonds. The watch didn't work, but I understood it was a really collectable piece. I payed almost nothing for it and it was probably the best single item I have ever had, as far as ornate designs, worksmanship, and what I sold it for. I used to dabble in watches a little but haven't had the opporunity to hit the places I used too. I used to go through hundreds and hundreds in giant bins. I would usually come up empty but sometimes find vintage Hamilton, Enicar, Bulova, longines, and Gruen.

Wait.... what? Where are you finding bins and bins of watches to go through? The thrifts I go to have a handful of watches that are all crap and occasionally a NIB mediocre watch set overpriced for what it is.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Pair of A. Testoni bluchers for eleven bucks in Saver's. They had a little more use than I like in shoes, maybe seven eight wearings, but they fit very nicely. Cap toe with a medallion, body is perforated evenly in a square pattern everywhere except toe and heel caps, which are brogued. They were an odd raw ochre tan when I got them, but sitting in the sun for an hour saturated with conditioner darkened them to a medium brown that was maybe the original color.

I was shocked to find what they probably cost new. We don't get shoes like this around here. When my camera gets charged up I'll try to get a pic.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Over the summer I came across a, what I believe was, a 1930's Platinum Elgin Windup Tank watch with diamonds. The watch didn't work, but I understood it was a really collectable piece. I payed almost nothing for it and it was probably the best single item I have ever had, as far as ornate designs, worksmanship, and what I sold it for. I used to dabble in watches a little but haven't had the opporunity to hit the places I used too. I used to go through hundreds and hundreds in giant bins. I would usually come up empty but sometimes find vintage Hamilton, Enicar, Bulova, longines, and Gruen.

I actually just inherited a handful of vintage Gruen and Bulova watches from a relative. Pretty beat up, and don't think they work, but they're very nice. And VERY old. I was just gearing up to do some research. If there's a StyleForum for vintage watches, care to sport me a link?

Thanks!

PS: I sprinted out for a bit today. Picked a few things up. Just your average day: Florshein imperials (are these the heaviest shoes EVER?), AE Manchester tassles, Barbera jacket and shirt, RLPL tie in the "normal" tie rack at GW (while the Feragamos and damaged Hermes's were in the case at, like, $80). Deets and pics later. Gotta teach class!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm somewhat pissed. Saw a Talbott tie I really liked, gold with a blue stripe, and probably at 2 7/8", but it had been ruined by some dipshiat who kept it knotted. Had a couple pulls and a stain too, the dope who owned it was just a moron. And I hate seeing that happen to nice things.

Wound up with a beater white shirt (Joseph and Feiss, which is the Men's Warehouse store brand), an LL Bean wool sweater, and a nice Brooks Brothers tie, so the day wasn't a complete loss. I was tempted by the 70's doubleknit polyester suit in my size as well, but couldn't think of a good occasion to wear a joke suit.

I also saw a SC in my size, one of those really light colored ones. Rough, tweed like fabric, almost white, but with variation. Does anyone wear those things, or am I correct in assuming that it's, shall we say, from an era?

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another cool find for any 38-40 guys.

- Willis & Geiger New York ASAF/Army brown leather flight/bomber jacket. Definitely vintage. I'd say late 70's perhaps. Oldest W&G piece I've found yet. Tagged a 38. Really well made. Scoville zipper. Snap-down collar. Ventilation holes at the armpits.

Measurements:

Chest: 21"
Shoulders: 18 1/2"
Sleeves: 26"
Length: 26 1/2"

Also got some other odds and ends. Hermes & Vineyard Vines ties, Levis 501 dark selvage jeans in my size, etc.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

congrats Dig. Both you and the Mrs. look 10 years younger in your "fit" pics. Awesome work! :slayer:

Thanks! We feel younger as well.
Perhaps they could have been purchased and turned into a lovely pair of ovenmitts.

Ah... Arizona Driving Gloves!
I'm somewhat pissed. Saw a Talbott tie I really liked, gold with a blue stripe, and probably at 2 7/8", but it had been ruined by some dipshiat who kept it knotted. Had a couple pulls and a stain too, the dope who owned it was just a moron. And I hate seeing that happen to nice things.
Wound up with a beater white shirt (Joseph and Feiss, which is the Men's Warehouse store brand), an LL Bean wool sweater, and a nice Brooks Brothers tie, so the day wasn't a complete loss. I was tempted by the 70's doubleknit polyester suit in my size as well, but couldn't think of a good occasion to wear a joke suit.
I also saw a SC in my size, one of those really light colored ones. Rough, tweed like fabric, almost white, but with variation. Does anyone wear those things, or am I correct in assuming that it's, shall we say, from an era?

I frequently wonder about that as I have several ties that are difficult to knot and I am loathe to untie them. If the knot never moves but just slides up and down, what's the harm?

s_allen_p

Reaction score
Here's what I found in the last week

Cheaney's Tweed shoes sz 10.5. Too big for me. Available if anyone is interested

Schlesinger briefcase. Probably going to put this one up on ebay

Schlesinger Brothers portfolio case...at least it matches several other vintage Schlesinger Brothers cases I've been able to find online in every detail, except it doesn't have their stamp. It does have a "California Saddle Leather" stamp where in the same location as they appear on the other bags though.

Ties - Southwick (Cashmere / Wool blend) Robert Talbot Best of Class, Christian Dior x2

Ibex wool jacket sz small, which I also think I'm going to be selling

Bernini shirt. Looking at their site they seem to be of pretty awful taste. How can a company price their shirt between $300-$500 (silk shirts for $1000), and tthen sell shoes for $60? This shirt fits me nicely, which is rare, so I'm happy with it.

and then I found a brand new To Boot New York perforated suede belt that was nice as well, but I forgot to take a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads