The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Ughhh. Annoyances today. First place, find a nice dark navy with pinstripes Hickey Freeman jacket. I immediately have a sense of dread. This place is notorious as a pants black hole. Out of the 10+ decent orphan jackets I've found there, I've found pants for like 2 of them. And I'd say less than 10% of their jackets are paired with pants. WTF are they doing with the f*cking pants??? Anyhow, the dread was correct: no pants. Find a nice really light grey colored Southwick. Same dread, same result.

Stop number 2. First 2 jackets are Hickey Freemans...one olive green, the other a very nice light grey with a windowpane pattern with Loro Piana Tasmanian Super 120s fabric. The LP has random stains all over the place, but they all look to be surface stains that will come out with a spot cleaning and/or intensive dry cleaning session. This store has the same reputation as a pants black hole, so the same sense of dread overcomes me....with the same result: no pants. [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Out of pure anger and hard-headedness, I get both the jackets since they're really cheap here, and though (probably...please confirm for me) orphans, at least they're *somewhat* workable alone and are not solid grey/grey pinstripe or something. Anyhow, confirm the worst for me...orphans, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, this is solid very dark olive green. My camera is having difficulty getting the color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. valium

valium Senior member

update:sold that chair today for $800 :)
    nice tidy $775 profit for ten minutes work.

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ really? that crazy chair for $800? what kind of chair was that? and congrats!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

4. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

:slayer:
    wow

5. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Found this in one of the bags in my basement...

Edward Sexton Saville Row - either bespoke or MTM 42L
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

EZ su misura Olive Check with Blue Windowpane 46R (already on the bay but such a pretty jacket I thought I'd show it off)
    [​IMG]

And this...PRL navy cotton sportscoat, patch pockets, hook vent, working buttonholes...tagged a boys 20. Measures out to a 36S with crazy short arms.
    [​IMG]

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nice man! I knew that would fly.

7. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Check my post a few pages back...I picked up nearly this exact jacket, but made by Cockpit instead of W&G. Wore it to the punk rock bar that very night. Good find. [​IMG]

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG]

I think you just paid your mortgage for a couple months!

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I have figured this out.

1. Pants are more likely to get ruined than jacket, when pants go night night, jacket goes to thrift. This accounts for many pantless items.

2. If a suit gets dropped off at GW, it is unlikely to be the only item, usually it is part of a bulk donation. If pants and suit not together, they can get separated. Also, even if pants and jacket are together, there is no guarantee they will remain together when GW staff sort out the donations. This now leads to the orphaned pants on the rack problem:

2.1 Often a single GW center could spread its donations around the district to other GW's - it is not uncommon to find the jacket in one store and the pants in the other store. This has happened twice to me, but in these cases Ted Baker or John Varvatos were notable finds, but not worth the extra yards.

2.2 If pants are in the same store as the jacket and have been split apart, usually the pants will be mixed up with the mens pants, and sometimes in amongst the womans pants.

3. If the suit remains together in one unit, I have seen first hand someone try on the jacket, not worked, but inspecting the pants, he swiped the pants :fu:.

4. If the suit is altogether, it can happen that someone tries on the suit, but leaves it in the changing room. It is unlikely he would take the time to hang the pants with the suit, more likely he would dump them on the floor or on the seat. GW worker comes up, does not realize it is a suit, and pants go one way while jacket goes another way.

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Pics and details from today: (left to right, clockwise) Vtg Hardy Amies blue with teardrops, Nautica silk/wool blend POW with blue overcheck (THICK), Silk pocket square, made in italy (Emilio Pucci?) -- one of 10 bought today but rest are at cleaners Luciano Barbera SC, green with tan, chocolate and green houndstooth (any sense, gents, where this falls on the Barbera spectrum?), tagged 40R Shoe trees x 5 (likely available, as most turn out to be > 11, which is too big for me, and the rest are too small) Luciano Barbera blue pinstripe shirt, tagged L Ike Behar cream yellow, tagged 17.5 x 34 Robert Graham, XL (is that NWT? Why, yes, it is) Florsheim Imperials black longwings, oxhide need a polish, size 9D (just LOOK at the bottoms of these shoes. LOOK!) AE Manchester black longwings, 8.5E (Center, L to R) Behar purple/white houndstooth; Behar purple geometric; RLPL; "Italo Ferretti" (ever heard of this brand; soft as a baby's...), vtg BB makers.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Passes: Several Ferragamo NWTs, for $60, a damaged Hermes basketweave in purple (tie had been pressed incorrectly and canvas was rumpled, which showed in tie) for $80 and a couple of other nice ties ... at not nice prices.

11. JChance

JChance Senior member

Just got a huge donation straight from Italy at the local thrift, condition seems to be 9-9.5/10, probably sample display on mannequin, very recent models. Sport coats seem unworn or if worn, probably 2-3 times max. Suits seem to be worn more, but still in excellent to like-new condition (pants are more worn out). If you are a 42R, you are in luck. All suits and SCs are available.

Hickey Freeman for Nordstrom 2-button suit 42R (tagged). Color is charcoal. Center Vent, fabric the super 130s Loro Piana.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pants are pleated, cuffed

measurements:
    jacket- p2p 22 1/8", shoulder 19", length from BOC 31.5", sleeve 25.5"

pants- waist 18.25", leg opening 9.25, inseam 31.5" with 1.5" cuff. Small opening near the left pocket (on pants) I just noticed, easy job for seamstress, no ribs on fabric
    [​IMG]

Hickey Freeman for Nordstrom 2-button suit 42R (tagged). Color is midnight navy pinstripe. Center Vent, , fabric the super 130s Loro Piana.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    two slight discolorations on the neck and on the left chest, should come out with spot cleaning
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HF navy pinstripe's measurements:

jacket- p2p 22", shoulder 19", length from BOC 31.25", sleeve 25.25"

pants are pleated and cuffed - waist 18.25", leg opening 9.75, inseam 31.25" with 1.75" cuff. One more whitening on fabric (~3mm radius) near right butt cheek (like neck and left chest), but should come out with spot cleaning.

Hickey Freeman Collection for Nordstrom 2-button SC 42R. Color is light navy. Inside label shows writing as like brand-new, probably never been dry cleaned. Center Vent, fabric SUPER soft, even softer than the super 130s Loro Piana, probably in the super 150s or higher. I've felt Kiton suits, and this is up to par in term of fabrics with Kiton-made quality.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canali 2-button SC tagged 52R drop 7, Made in Italy. Color is charcoal pinstripe (will confirm tomorrow in sunlight). Inside label shows writing as like brand-new, probably never been dry cleaned. Side Vent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corneliani 3-button SC tagged 52R drop 7, Made in Italy. Color is Grey. Inside label shows writing as like brand-new, probably never been dry cleaned. No Vent, fabric super 120s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burberry London 2-button SC tagged 52R drop 7, Made in USA. Color is Navy with blue pinstripe. Inside label shows writing as like brand-new, probably never been dry cleaned. Side Vent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

12. valium

valium Senior member

yup,not only that but a vintage shop dealer bought it off me and told me he will resell for $1500 no problem

13. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I would add that a lot of businesses have "dress casual" attire so guys actively look for pants so they can wear with nice dress shirts, not looking for a jacket and tie.

14. valium

valium Senior member

i see your Geiger and raise you my 1966 Schott

[​IMG]

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

aww shit. dude gimme a good price :slayer:, i'll take that offa your hands. PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.