• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Digmenow had a good idea to post pics of thrifted items. Here is my bad attempt, I will take better pics as week goes on. Jacket is Oxxford Crest, double vented, size 44R. It is tight and short, but heck, it is super nice. Shirt is Stone Island NWT, but now it is no longer NWT :devil:. I did not take pics of my lower body, because I was wearing shorts as well (but not as a day outfit with the jacket obviously - jacket came on just to show it off)

Do you guys not think the shoulders look clumpy? My tailor says it is perfectly OK, but I have this nagging feeling in my noggin ....

I'm more concerned about the collar flying out past your lapels. Does it always do that?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why, you don't say...

Seriously, that thing looks amazing and I wantwantwant it.

This one fits like a 43 or a larger 42, and that is the problem.

Also, I'll play. This past Wednesday pics are below:

Zegna "Napoli Couture" (the best suit I own), Zegna FC shirt, PRL made in Italy tie, Florsheim Imperial shell wingtips. 100% thrifted outfit
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Was going to post pics of Thursday but my camera isn't playing nice. Thursday was: Tan Loro Piana 100% Cashmere 3 button SC, black Kiton 7 fold tie, black Zegna by Incotex pants (thanks Klobber!!!), black AE Park Avenues. Only thing not thrifted were the Park Aves (purchased new)

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Digmenow had a good idea to post pics of thrifted items. Here is my bad attempt, I will take better pics as week goes on. Jacket is Oxxford Crest, double vented, size 44R. It is tight and short, but heck, it is super nice. Shirt is Stone Island NWT, but now it is no longer NWT :devil:. I did not take pics of my lower body, because I was wearing shorts as well (but not as a day outfit with the jacket obviously - jacket came on just to show it off)
Do you guys not think the shoulders look clumpy? My tailor says it is perfectly OK, but I have this nagging feeling in my noggin ....

Thanks. The first thing I would say is that everyone should agree right now to quit apologizing for pics. Anything is better than trying to use our imaginations when visualizing the fit of your finds!

Obviously can't comment on the "inch too short" but if it covers your a$$, quit fretting, you're good. If it feels too snug, take it to the person who does your sleeves and cuffs (tailor, if you're lucky or alterations person, if not) to see if there is anything that can be let out in the jacket. What could it hurt?

The shoulders appear to be roped which is not an issue but more pics might be needed to comment on divots at the sleevehead. If the other issues above can be attended to, I'd say fix it and rock on. Awesome pattern and colors.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why, you don't say...

Seriously, that thing looks amazing and I wantwantwant it.  

Also, I'll play.  This past Wednesday pics are below:

Zegna "Napoli Couture" (the best suit I own), Zegna FC shirt, PRL made in Italy tie, Florsheim Imperial shell wingtips.  100% thrifted outfit 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Was going to post pics of Thursday but my camera isn't playing nice.  Thursday was: Tan Loro Piana 100% Cashmere 3 button SC, black Kiton 7 fold tie, black Zegna by Incotex pants (thanks Klobber!!!), black AE Park Avenues.  Only thing not thrifted were the Park Aves (purchased new)

Okay, AF. That is so stunning that you'll scare everyone else away! :lol:

Seriously, it looks outstanding. The spread on the shirt collar looks perfect and the lapels appear to bisect your shoulders exactly. The parallel lines created by the sleevehead compared to the lapel roll look like it they measured with a laser. What a GREAT find!

Last edited:

Everett464

Reaction score
This makes me want to lose 20 pounds, at 210 I have no hope of pulling this look off.

Quote:
Was going to post pics of Thursday but my camera isn't playing nice. Thursday was: Tan Loro Piana 100% Cashmere 3 button SC, black Kiton 7 fold tie, black Zegna by Incotex pants (thanks Klobber!!!), black AE Park Avenues. Only thing not thrifted were the Park Aves (purchased new)

hmmurdock

Reaction score

E Zegna orphan jacket . Couldn't really make it as a SC as it was striped. Also, it was Made in Mexico. How's this quality wise?

Can't say I've ever seen this on an EZ jacket. Italy and Switzerland yes. Mexico no.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This makes me want to lose 20 pounds, at 210 I have no hope of pulling this look off.   

No doubt! Like the kid locked in the abandoned refrigerator who survived by eating his foot, I might be able to lose weight but I'll never grow another foot! :lol:

That's why I try to work on pulling off a look that fits me. After all, isn't that what we're all trying to do here?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No doubt! Like the kid locked in the abandoned refrigerator who survived by eating his foot, I might be able to lose weight but I'll never grow another foot!
lol8[1].gif

That's why I try to work on pulling off a look that fits me. After all, isn't that what we're all trying to do here?

True... but I started lifting again anyway to get back to a better V-shape so clothes fit better. I feel like I have good clothes now, so I should try to complement them.
smile.gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't say I've ever seen this on an EZ jacket. Italy and Switzerland yes. Mexico no.

Quote:

My understanding is that Zegna has a production plant in Mexico, but I have never seen any jackets produced in Mexico, only sport shirts.

I once sold a Z Zegna suit made in Mexico. It had a lot of flourishes on it, certainly LOOKED nice, but the quality wasn't quite there when you actually put it right next to a mainline made-in-Italy-or-Switzerland garment. I don't remember if it was fused or had canvassing... doh. Been a little while.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas, you guys are too kind
blush.gif
. I just lucked out in recently wearing my best fitting suit and being narcissistic enough to take a picture of it, haha.

Okay, AF. That is so stunning that you'll scare everyone else away!
lol8[1].gif

Seriously, it looks outstanding. The spread on the shirt collar looks perfect and the lapels appear to bisect your shoulders exactly. The parallel lines created by the sleevehead compared to the lapel roll look like it they measured with a laser. What a GREAT find!

MattR

Reaction score

The shoulders look good to me. I've seen the little "lip" on the edges of shoulders before, and it doesn't seem to be indicative of them being too wide or bunching up.

I've also noticed that my Oxxford fits a little tighter than it is labeled. Mine's a bit older, too.

It appears the Queen has made some questionable decisions in her old age..........

:lol:

Also, I'll play.  This past Wednesday pics are below:

Zegna "Napoli Couture" (the best suit I own), Zegna FC shirt, PRL made in Italy tie, Florsheim Imperial shell wingtips.  100% thrifted outfit 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

This is a really nice outfit, and the fit looks great too! Some tie inspiration for my newly ebayed HF charcoal pinstripe.

Some things I did notice. I wouldn't button that top button. Maybe it's just me, but I always think that buttoning the top creates an odd button stance, even for tall drinks of water, like yourself.

Also, maybe it's the angle, but the pants look like they are bunching up near the ankle a bit. Too much break, maybe?

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Thoughts on the pros and cons of teaching a friend who lives in the same area how to thrift?
I would do a fun diagram, but too lazy right now.

1. Is he your size? If yes, then no.
  2. Why do you thrift? (yourself, flipping/trading, business $$$)
  • If yourself, and different size, then yes (if he is going to give you what he finds in your size)
  • If flipping/trading, then maybe...you will find less stuff :/
  • If business $$$, then no...well you wouldnt even be asking that then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads