The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I'm more concerned about the collar flying out past your lapels. Does it always do that?

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Why, you don't say...

Seriously, that thing looks amazing and I wantwantwant it.

Also, I'll play. This past Wednesday pics are below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna "Napoli Couture" (the best suit I own), Zegna FC shirt, PRL made in Italy tie, Florsheim Imperial shell wingtips. 100% thrifted outfit [​IMG]

Was going to post pics of Thursday but my camera isn't playing nice. Thursday was: Tan Loro Piana 100% Cashmere 3 button SC, black Kiton 7 fold tie, black Zegna by Incotex pants (thanks Klobber!!!), black AE Park Avenues. Only thing not thrifted were the Park Aves (purchased new)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Thanks. The first thing I would say is that everyone should agree right now to quit apologizing for pics. Anything is better than trying to use our imaginations when visualizing the fit of your finds!

Obviously can't comment on the "inch too short" but if it covers your a$$, quit fretting, you're good. If it feels too snug, take it to the person who does your sleeves and cuffs (tailor, if you're lucky or alterations person, if not) to see if there is anything that can be let out in the jacket. What could it hurt?

The shoulders appear to be roped which is not an issue but more pics might be needed to comment on divots at the sleevehead. If the other issues above can be attended to, I'd say fix it and rock on. Awesome pattern and colors.

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Okay, AF. That is so stunning that you'll scare everyone else away! :lol:

Seriously, it looks outstanding. The spread on the shirt collar looks perfect and the lapels appear to bisect your shoulders exactly. The parallel lines created by the sleevehead compared to the lapel roll look like it they measured with a laser. What a GREAT find!

5. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

This makes me want to lose 20 pounds, at 210 I have no hope of pulling this look off.

Quote:

6. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Can't say I've ever seen this on an EZ jacket. Italy and Switzerland yes. Mexico no.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

No doubt! Like the kid locked in the abandoned refrigerator who survived by eating his foot, I might be able to lose weight but I'll never grow another foot! :lol:

That's why I try to work on pulling off a look that fits me. After all, isn't that what we're all trying to do here?

8. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    My understanding is that Zegna has a production plant in Mexico, but I have never seen any jackets produced in Mexico, only sport shirts.

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

True... but I started lifting again anyway to get back to a better V-shape so clothes fit better. I feel like I have good clothes now, so I should try to complement them. [​IMG]

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I once sold a Z Zegna suit made in Mexico. It had a lot of flourishes on it, certainly LOOKED nice, but the quality wasn't quite there when you actually put it right next to a mainline made-in-Italy-or-Switzerland garment. I don't remember if it was fused or had canvassing... doh. Been a little while.

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thanks fellas, you guys are too kind [​IMG]. I just lucked out in recently wearing my best fitting suit and being narcissistic enough to take a picture of it, haha.

12. MattR

MattR Senior member

The shoulders look good to me. I've seen the little "lip" on the edges of shoulders before, and it doesn't seem to be indicative of them being too wide or bunching up.

I've also noticed that my Oxxford fits a little tighter than it is labeled. Mine's a bit older, too.

:lol:

This is a really nice outfit, and the fit looks great too! Some tie inspiration for my newly ebayed HF charcoal pinstripe.

Some things I did notice. I wouldn't button that top button. Maybe it's just me, but I always think that buttoning the top creates an odd button stance, even for tall drinks of water, like yourself.

Also, maybe it's the angle, but the pants look like they are bunching up near the ankle a bit. Too much break, maybe?

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Thoughts on the pros and cons of teaching a friend who lives in the same area how to thrift?

14. MattR

MattR Senior member

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I would do a fun diagram, but too lazy right now.

1. Is he your size? If yes, then no.
    2. Why do you thrift? (yourself, flipping/trading, business $$$)
    • If yourself, and different size, then yes (if he is going to give you what he finds in your size)
    • If flipping/trading, then maybe...you will find less stuff :/
    • If business $$$, then no...well you wouldnt even be asking that then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.