The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Pretty sure TheWGP is right; your jacket is probably Z Zegna, which is a Zegna diffusion line that is supposed to not be any good.

2. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Decent day today - I had a couple of hours whilst my wife and daughter were in the cinema:

Brioni black sportcoat (with metal buttons) and a funky striped lining. 40R Palatino block, for some reason someone removed the Brioni label:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brioni handmade dress shirt in a 15.5 and a Turnbull & Asser Sea Island dress shirt in a 16. Both immaculate:

[​IMG]

Hermes navy blue woven tie - this has a small pull which I'm going to try and sort out:

[​IMG]

Bone shoe horn to replace the plastic freebie I keep at work:

[​IMG]

I also found a Borrelli shirt at the bottom of a bag which I'd forgotten about from a previous trip: 17.5, peach herringbone with button cuffs:

[​IMG]

I left behind two Huntsman (£120/ea) suits and a pair of Church's loafers (£75) because they were too expensive, and a pair of Anderson & Sheppard trousers because they had damage to the hem.

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^^ Wow, SimonC!

I taught a local friend about thrifting. He hits all the stores I do now. Every once in a while he finds a great pair of shoes (we're the same size) or an Hermes tie and I selfishly think "I probably would have found that if I hadn't shown him what to look for."

Still, it's enjoyable to have someone to talk about your hobby with, so I don't regret it. Telling my wife I found a Kiton tie probably won't elicit much of a response, but it's fun to brag to my friend about. And we give each other tips when we see something in the other's size, so though I may miss out on an Hermes tie, I also find the occasional suit or jacket I might have otherwise missed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

+1
    Also, I really like the idea of an all-thrift WAYWRN. I see some of the menswear & streetwear threads on SF and think that it's a cool way for the members of this thread to throw their (second-hand) hats into the ring. -M-

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

You may be offending some of the old timer purists that just want thrift FINDS. Not me, of course, but you never know...

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I didn't mean anything by it. I wouldn't want to offend anybody on here because I really like this thread. If a different WAYWRN: Thrift Edition thread should materialize, then I'd probably look at that one too. I was just trying to be positive about something I saw on here that I found enjoyable. As you were, gentlemen. -M-

7. vexco

vexco Senior member

pretty sure he was just being sarcastic [​IMG]

8. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^I don't think that fits you. Best to trade w/ me. I got BRIONI!

:foo:

10. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

You would think so but they wouldn't let me put some Saphir creme on them after I explained what it is and what it would do. The lady behind the counter said I could but then her idiotic manager said no. I dont think he understood the concept of shoe care. In the end, I took a gamble that they will still be there on Tuesday when they're marked down to $50. I'm about to go to Vegas for a bachelor party so I'm in a gambling mood. But bet your ass I'll be there when the doors open on Tuesday.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Damn, this thread moves fast, fast, fast. And here I am, contributing to it all...

acosbysweater, I was going to say back there I don't find much in the way of books at all, but I'll keep an eye out for Stray Bullets!

(Also, wat. Cerebus fan? Misfits fan? Knows Skins season one was actually good? I'm beginning to suspect I've had an episode, and that you are secretly me. :paranoia: )

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nice one. I have 5 of these ties - the weave is called the "Natte de Slie" or something like that in stores - its a gorgeous, hefty woven silk. These are permanent classics and always remain in the collections. They are on their website now for something like $200. Well done.

I did something similar when I was still hosting the Friday WAYWRN challenges....

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

You don't have these two questions, but I'll ask them anyway:

Q: What would it take to get my cheap a$$ to buy 17 shirts not in my size?
    A: A group of 2 Kitons, 2 Zegnas, 1 Valentino, 1 Barbera, 1 Truzzi, and 10 Brionis fresh and crisp from the dry cleaner...waiting for me on the Salvation Army racks.

Q: And what would this look like?
    A:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are all in the ballpark of 17 and 17-1/2. Some are marked EU size, some XL, some "V" but they are clearly all from the same (big) dude. I left similarly dry cleaned and sized BB Country Club and PRL stuff on the racks, because 17 shirts and a lowly LL Bean wool cardigan weigh enough to schlep around. Plus I tend to leave things behind as a sacrifice to the thrift gods, karma, and the good folks around me who they might actually fit.

PM me with cash or trade offers. Ideally I'd swap for the exact same shirts in my size, but that will never, ever happen. Whatever you think is fair, I'll consider (i.e. a couple suits, nice SCs, the incotex/mabitex pants I have never seen in real life, or whatever you would consider a fair swap). These are all in excellent condition.

If nothing trips our trigger on the PM back channel, these will eventually get hucked up to mexicutioner's Google Doc. I haven't forgotten about that, mex, I just decided to do a lot of soul-searching/closet-cleaning, and now there's this matter of measuring and photgraphing all this stuff. Plus, I keep opening up these PM dialogs about trading stuff.

Anyhow, my sizes:
    Pants: 32-30
    Shirts: 15-32 (or 32/33)
    Jacket 38R-40R; 29-30" length
    Shoes: 9D (in vintage, 9Cs and 9B/D's work)

14. vexco

vexco Senior member

What I wouldn't give to be able to find something other than suits/SC's here. Killer shirt haul.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Calling Klobber!!!! I've been doing this over a year and that is more nice shirts in one haul then I've had in over a year [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.