The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

+. 1.

Holy. Sh......

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

I'm noting a conspicuous hole in the size coverage... RIGHT AT MY SIZE! [​IMG]

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Hit 2 stores this afternoon and came up with mostly nothing.
    Passed on:
    E Zegna dress shirt. Had a weird purple red color, but also frayed sleeves and collar
    E Zegna orphan jacket . Couldn't really make it as a SC as it was striped. Also, it was Made in Mexico. How's this quality wise?
    H. Freeman canvassed orphan jacket. Just my size! but striped so I passed. Couldn't find the pants.
    Alden tassel shoes. They say that Alden's last 30 years. This pair was on year 31! Really beat up outside and in.
    In the end I only picked up these shoe trees. Have the most wood of any shoe tree that I have!
    [ATTACHMENT=2043]shoe tree.jpg (68k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    Also, a R. Talbott best of class tie, but I neglected to see that there was some price sticker residue close to the neck or knot area. Any tips to get this out? I'm thinking rubbing alcohol, but I also don't want to erase any of the red color of the tie. Only $2 so a good learning lesson.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I kinda maybe happy its my size though.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

5. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

First, nice Brioni. One of the acronyms I haven't figured out yet is POW. Best I get on the net is prisoner of war. POW stands for?

Second, hope you always at least wear shorts when you take pictures, or if you go a little more in the buff, better cover the bottom of the mirror......

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Prince of Wales my friend, Prince of Wales.

Prisoner of war would also look nice, those dashing horizontal stripes
    [​IMG]

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Prince of Wales, as in Prince of Wales check.

[​IMG]

8. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Thank you, or should I say TY, LOL!

9. vexco

vexco Senior member

Had a decent day today, I think. 3 Oxxford SC's and 1 Oxxford suit. All available for trade or sell as they don't fit.

Oxxford super 150's brown/black houndstooth SC. Unvented, fully lined/canvassed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Shoulder-to-shoulder: 20"

Pit-to-pit: 22"

Chest: 21"

Sleeves: 26'

Length from BOC: 34"

Oxxford super 100's houndstooth suit. Unvented, fully canvassed/lined. Pants are double pleated and cuffed.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Jacket size same as above

Pants size: 18" waist, 32" inseam. 1.5" cuff. They're even sorta long on me(6'7") so I believe the rise is pretty high? Pant Length overall: 44.5".

Measurements on the first two are the same as they're from the same donor.

Oxxford super 120's black w/ magenta(or fuscia?) and faint gray glen-plaid pattern. Single vented, 2 button and fully lined/canvassed.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Oxxford super 100's glen-plaid SC. This thing looks awesome...and green haha. Single vented, 2 button and fully lined/canvassed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Measurements:

Shoulders: 19"

Pit-to-pit: 21.5"

Sleeves: 23"

Chest: 20.5"

Length from bottom of collar: 30"

Bottom 2 are also the same size as they're from the same donor. In fact they're the same size as the ones I posted yesterday. Everything is available. I never thought I'd find anything Oxxford around here.

10. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

ohlol, it was 70 degrees today, so I was wearing shorts. Didn't notice I had shot the mirror.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Digmenow had a good idea to post pics of thrifted items. Here is my bad attempt, I will take better pics as week goes on. Jacket is Oxxford Crest, double vented, size 44R. It is tight and short, but heck, it is super nice. Shirt is Stone Island NWT, but now it is no longer NWT :devil:. I did not take pics of my lower body, because I was wearing shorts as well (but not as a day outfit with the jacket obviously - jacket came on just to show it off)

[​IMG]

Do you guys not think the shoulders look clumpy? My tailor says it is perfectly OK, but I have this nagging feeling in my noggin ....

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

It appears the Queen has made some questionable decisions in her old age..........

[​IMG]

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It does look a bit snug but that coat is gorgeous!

14. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Definitely have a ton of interest but I'm a bit light on cash and I'm sure most people have already bombed you. Please let me know about the pants though, I really need some damn pants. I've been asking all week about pants 28-30 lol. If I've gotta buy them I will damnit -_-.

Oh, and I meant to ask if anyone knew what the best way to wash that Army trench I got a while back was? I was thinking of just following the instructions, but figured someone else might know better.

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

It s a wonderful coat, I would even go as far to say it is the most attractive piece I have ever owned (my crappy camera does not pick out the rich burgundy - brown colors, the various purples and orange hues etc). I am seriously thinking of flipping / trading for it though :( . I am right on the fence, it is too tight and an inch too short. Thats the problem with thrifting, it is one shot. We dont have 7 of these on one rack going in order of size, it is one size, thats it. Too bad for me it is one size small. I really am a solid 46, and on some brand a 44 works out OK. This one fits like a 43 or a larger 42, and that is the problem. I am trying to rationalize by saying I picked up 15LB's weight over the holidays, but all that weight dumped itself around my gut. If I lose the gut but keep the chest, I am still at square one regarding the fit :brick:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.