• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, also interested about what's too vintage about it. I just loved the color/pattern and waist suppression on it.

I think I could eat Mac 'n cheese regularly. Very delicious, the secret to its tastiness is not using Velveeta or any mild processed cheese, but a real sharp cheddar (I use English Farmhouse, Canadian, Wisconsin or Vermont Cheddar). Makes Mac 'n cheese higher end, but ******* yummy. Before the oven, chop up a bunch of tomato slices, use a little French/English mustard, and add, I could eat 2LB's of that stuff. Serve with salty fries and that some great cuisine there
smile.gif

As for Hermes Sport Coat, looks nice but too vintage and price is too high for its vintage. I have a thrifted Hermes similar to that, if that sells decently, I sell mine. I have never worn it and dont think I ever will, so perhaps there could be some $$$$ there for me. I will wait and see.

Pawz

Reaction score
To the guy looking for mannequins, I happened to go to United Colors of Benetton today and they were selling over a dozen of their store models. Dunno of all Benetton stores are doing this, but there they were!

Also, has anyone heard of Dona/Dona (designer brand)?

Pawz

Reaction score
XD I doubt it. I was thinking 'Donna Karen', then I remembered 'Donna' has two N's.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1EbBa.jpg

The sewn in tags (and I'm just guessing here) look like sample tags that a sales rep would have when showing new product to buyers. The fact that the letters are the same in the same color family with numbers to ID them makes it look like there are others in the series as well.

Im thinking this is for an extreme case of OCD. In this case the poor fellow numbered his "Tie Clips" and "Tie Bars" so that he wore the exact same ones for each tie that he appropriately labelled!
:lol:

LOL. Thanks, gents -- well, there's two things I wouldn't have thought of. Conflicting answers might only deepen the mystery. (Or, as these are likely headed to B&S, I should say, LEGEND).

People hate on Ted Baker, but years ago before I knew anything about sprezz style, I bought a chocolate houndstooth Ted Baker pea coat at TJ Maxx.  Knew nothing about the brand or its flashy tendencies, but one look at the irridescent deep purple/pink viscose lining had me SOLD. 

Do peeps hate on TB? What, is he like the Robert Graham of London? I usually leave them behind, as they don't jive well with even a close-cropped beard, tending to make me look sleazy. Coats, though; those sound nice! I've seen a lot of fairly conservative Etro and Paul Smith numbers make greatly more appealing by their wacky iridescent linings. :nodding:

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
9R7EZ.jpg

Well, I finally met Mr. Borrelli today. Our conversation went something like this:

"You, sir, are an amazing man: fat of buttons, slim of waist. You MESMERIZE me with your shiny herringbone! You will fit me!"
"I will not fit you. I'm a 16L."
"..."
"..."
"YOU WILL FIT ME!"
"..."

qUwJr.jpg

GqWKC.jpg

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, also interested about what's too vintage about it. I just loved the color/pattern and waist suppression on it.

serious question: what looks "too ... vintage" about that coat? the tag? the lapel? the material? not questioning, just tryin to learn over here!

Ahhh, I will rephrase. It is vintage Hermes, probably a 1990's piece. I should have said "Looks nice but is a vintage piece and thus too highly priced for a vintage piece". I wrote my response quickly without inspecting grammar or context, my bad.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Hello. I ended up going to one store and picked up blue and white striped Corneliani dress shirt in a 15 1/2 and a pair of vintage L.L. Bean green canvas and brown leather workwear-type braces with brass hardware. Not my style, but should find a good home with someone on eBay. Thanks! -M-

div25sec9

Reaction score

9R7EZ.jpg

Well, I finally met Mr. Borrelli today. Our conversation went something like this:
"You, sir, are an amazing man: fat of buttons, slim of waist. You MESMERIZE me with your shiny herringbone! You will fit me!"
"I will not fit you. I'm a 16L."
"..."
"..."
"YOU WILL FIT ME!"
"..."
qUwJr.jpg

GqWKC.jpg

selling? If so, for how much?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What with the what....! I fixed a grammatical error...and it shows I edited the post, and the change is showing up in the quote...but not in my original post. What is happening!
:uhoh:

Due to recent excessive purchasing and storage issues(!), I am going to sell this shirt, some ties, and much, much moar for cheeeep in B&S. :)

I can't edit this one, either. Whhaaaaaa!

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spoo, I have interviewed this guy Pat Morse ]

Ha! Pat Morse is the guy who repaired and restored the LV / Goyard trunks from my estate sale. Great guy, and amazing work.

To the guy looking for mannequins, I happened to go to United Colors of Benetton today and they were selling over a dozen of their store models. Dunno of all Benetton stores are doing this, but there they were!
Also, has anyone heard of Dona/Dona (designer brand)?

How much were they? And what kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads