• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably the wrong time to pitch that, Im exhausted. But, rich area, nothing to do, I see a sign for an estate sale. House is a disaster, musty, packrats, you know the story. I go up to the attic, find a trunk full of beanie babies. I shove them aside and find a LV label. I freak out. Tear up the rest of the attic and find a Goyard. Both whiskey leather, patina like you have never seen. Take em downstairs, pitch it all nonchalant like "yeah, hey buddy - you selling these for anything?" I leave with them for $20. They didn't even look at the labels. I sent them to a trunk repair shop to be conditioned and restored and sold em both for something like 2 grand.

Originally Posted by Rambo
God damn that Spoo is a busy motherfucker.

True dat. :lol:

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, I WANT one of those 42Ls...Like the one on the right more. Details?

Couple finds to put out there...going to be thrown up on the bay if no interest here.
Canali Suits 42L's

EZ Su Misura Sportcoat 46R (2003)

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer a DB in theory....I just need to find a DB that fits me like a mothafuckin' glove, then I will.  Any day now...

And yes, sitting screws everything up.

Someone (can't remember who) once said to me: DB looks great when buttoned; nothing better. When it's open: Looks like an open china cabinet.

Needless to say, SB has outnumbered DB in my wardrobe by 15 x 1 (seriously -- 30+ SB suits, only 2 DB) ever since.

Stewie

Reaction score

1EbBa.jpg

HkR2w.jpg

Also, if someone could explain these weird little sewn-in tags on the (ahem) four greatest Stefano Ricci ties known to man, that would be swell!
:happy:

Im thinking this is for an extreme case of OCD. In this case the poor fellow numbered his "Tie Clips" and "Tie Bars" so that he wore the exact same ones for each tie that he appropriately labelled!

:lol:

Kitontini

Reaction score

Probably the wrong time to pitch that, Im exhausted. But, rich area, nothing to do, I see a sign for an estate sale. House is a disaster, musty, packrats, you know the story. I go up to the attic, find a trunk full of beanie babies. I shove them aside and find a LV label. I freak out. Tear up the rest of the attic and find a Goyard. Both whiskey leather, patina like you have never seen. Take em downstairs, pitch it all nonchalant like "yeah, hey buddy - you selling these for anything?" I leave with them for $20. They didn't even look at the labels. I sent them to a trunk repair shop to be conditioned and restored and sold em both for something like 2 grand.

Holy cow, man! Where do you find the time to do everything?! Is there 2 of you?! :laugh: Makes me want to look at trunks now.

Is anyone interested in the Avon Celli sweater I put up earlier? Otherwise... to the Bay it goes!

acosbysweater

Reaction score
LbrFJ.jpg

I will answer that with this:
BvPjy.jpg

hb4VK.jpg

DX2qc.jpg

So nice, but...
6xZvQ.jpg

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

It works better as a painting...
I got your PM! It looks like an awesome shirt, I'd totally keep it, and you should post that here...
(Sorry....Mozilla's acting up again. A lot of messages I try to send are just bouncing back at me
shog[1].gif
)

Ah, fit looks a bit off in the wrists, but that's easily tailored. I think with that and the collar chop trick that MattR posted, this shirt would be quite awesome! People hate on Ted Baker, but years ago before I knew anything about sprezz style, I bought a chocolate houndstooth Ted Baker pea coat at TJ Maxx. Knew nothing about the brand or its flashy tendencies, but one look at the irridescent deep purple/pink viscose lining had me SOLD.

hyakku

Reaction score
Not much this weekend except a few trades. Found this interesting rain coat though, undecided on whether to keep it especially since I'm moving out of CA soon. Can anyone tell me about this? I think it's from an old Army mfg. but I find conflicting info. Also got a new phone, no more ****** cell phone pics :slayer:

KCdWFl.jpg

7XpTDl.jpg

kdXnjl.jpg

(bit of over saturation, was messing with settings on the last one, not sure what that white dot is, not on it in person)

Last edited:

Stewie

Reaction score

Not much this weekend except a few trades. Found this interesting rain coat though, undecided on whether to keep it especially since I'm moving out of CA soon. Can anyone tell me about this? I think it's from an old Army mfg. but I find conflicting info. Also got a new phone, no more ****** cell phone pics :slayer:
KCdWFl.jpg

7XpTDl.jpg

kdXnjl.jpg

(bit of over saturation, was messing with settings on the last one, not sure what that white dot is, not on it in person)

It's definately Army, from 1971, so its technically Vietnam era. Since no patches, it works as a raincoat if your going for that military look I suppose. I wouldn't think you would have much use for it in California, so maybe hang on to it.

D.

hyakku

Reaction score

^^
Cool to see another militaria enthusiast on here! Well, assuming so as you know how to date it from the DSA #.

It's definately Army, from 1971, so its technically Vietnam era. Since no patches, it works as a raincoat if your going for that military look I suppose. I wouldn't think you would have much use for it in California, so maybe hang on to it.
D.

Awesome. Thanks for letting me know, glad I grabbed it.

There was also a vintage HSM tweed glen plaid herringbone heavy coat I left as well if anyone is interested. I'll get pics next time I'm there.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Holy cow, man! Where do you find the time to do everything?! Is there 2 of you?! :laugh: Makes me want to look at trunks now.

Just me and my insatiable thirst for beauty and profit, and not many hours spent sleeping.

Yeah, I do that, but they ride up when sitting and gap off my chest and collar.

Pawz

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of this brand? Tie was $0.99

Scan1-1.png

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Hes in Syracuse, so he said he would refund any over charges. However, that thing is like a coffin, its tremendous - and all solid wood. I have a collection of antique Goyard/Louis Vuitton trunks and steamers, and this is going to be awesome with them. Unless my wife freaks out and makes me sell it. :)
The Kiton, yeah - a bit big. Originally bought with the intent to sell, but now I am not sure.

Spoo, I have interviewed this guy Pat Morse for a story and gone to his shop (and he took me around the upstairs of his barn, which is loaded with trunks from 1700s-1900s.

Worth a trip up north to visit and connect if you're really into trunks, he's an expert restorer (and probably an outlet for your finds if you're looking for that, too).

While I am not into the trunk thing so much that I collect LVs, Morse inspired me to restore a Civil War era trunk deposited in my father-in-law's attic (previous owner), where I now store sweaters and "dresser overflow now that I'm on SF," ha, and have fashioned a couple kids' toyboxes out of others...he keeps lots of parts in inventory, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads