• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had pleats removed from trousers? The Canali pants have two pleats that aren't terrible, but I'd prefer flat. They're so nice I'd be willing to invest in slightly more aggressive alterations.

I haven't done it myself, but I have inquired about it and it is an apparently expensive and possibly pants-ruining process as they have to drastically re-cut the pants.

BTW - anyone know where I can get a cheap Kiton suit for horse's ass' dad?

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. MikeDT from the AAAC forum lives in China. He says fake Kiton have been on the market there for a while now. :paranoia:

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Posted these AE Sanfords on Monday - got them cleaned up last night.  For $10, they look awesome - I'd be stoked at $50.

How did you clean these up so well? I thrifted a pair of Sanfords that are in slightly worse shape.

Everett464

Reaction score
Quote:
To start, I like to wear them for about an hour before I put shoe trees in - I feel like it warms the leather up, and prepares my footbed. Once I had trees in them, I hit them with Kiwi leather conditioner, concentrating on the creases. After they dried, I brushed the heck out of them. Then I used a black cream polish to antique the broguing and to hit the sole as well. Topped the whole thing off with a final brushing, and voila... These turned out well - I was lucky.

I also bought a pair of Black AE Monk Straps that I have not had as much luck with. I am going to hit them with acetone tomorrow night, So I can get a clean slate. I will post pics when I'm done.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score

Helmut Lang black real leather suede blazer... this needs to be cleaned somehow, any suggestions? The leather is super soft / fine, it's amazing.

Take it to Arrow Fabricare on Troost. It's supposed to be one of the best leather cleaners in the country. They did a good job on the Bally jacket I took to them.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone ever had pleats removed from trousers? The Canali pants have two pleats that aren't terrible, but I'd prefer flat. They're so nice I'd be willing to invest in slightly more aggressive alterations.

i had it done a couple of years back at a tailor in LA (Ki Tailor in Santa Monica). they turned out great, and i don't think it was more than $30-40 or so. i'm happy. if you find a pair of $5 tony soprano eight-pleat zanellas, give it a shot.

Last edited:

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score

Thanks Alan. Mind if I ask how much that ran you? Gotta decide if it's worth it or not...

Well, the Bally also had to have the knits replaced, so it was more expensive. I've just had a suede Harrington cleaned, but also a couple of buttons restitched. That came to around $42. You should be able to get out of there for under $40 with just a straight cleaning, I'd think. You'll be impressed with what a cleaning can do.

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
was this directed toward me? how do i tell if its fake? getting me worried now...
Hmm. MikeDT from the AAAC forum lives in China. He says fake Kiton have been on the market there for a while now.
patch[1].gif

On another note, what do you guys think of these Crockett and Jones Pembrokes? Any notes on cleaning/caring them is much appreciated. These are my first pair of higher end shoes that I would like to take good care of. Thanks!

daverayne

Reaction score
I WILL GIVE YOU $500 FOR ONE!

Talked to him again a little bit ago, he's asking for about $150 per suit. Luckily, I'm already in the market for a suit, but not sure if that's out of the budget for people here as its a thrifting thread. Anything I get I would prefer to offer up to members here, as I've learned so much from this thread. If there is interest, I will grab what I can, but I don't have much disposable income at the moment.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
was this directed toward me? how do i tell if its fake? getting me worried now...

On another note, what do you guys think of these Crockett and Jones Pembrokes? Any notes on cleaning/caring them is much appreciated. These are my first pair of higher end shoes that I would like to take good care of. Thanks!

You'll get a better response here http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc/0_50 and also read this http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...riders_shoe_care_guide_taken_from_styleforum/

Nice shoes though!

mrdeep2001

Reaction score

Awesome thanks Brian (if that's even your real name...).
I think maybe the guy i found is karma paying back for **** luck I've had lately (someone broken into my house in Dec, and stole a bunch of things, i.e. watches, laptop, and camera to name a few, so I apologize for my ****** camera phone pictures. And a few weeks ago, this guy turned my car from this (not actual pic, only pics I had were on my camera
censored.gif
):

To this:

Guy also said he has a ted baker suit as well. Should I kop?

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Dude, forget the Kiton suits. Find out if he has a Mercedes and cop that for two grand. He owes you a car, not some frivolous suits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads