• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask...

*cue Brianpore gif*

EDIT: Damnit, beat me to it!!
If mainy says so, i gotta find a way to scrap some cash together!

Side question, how the hell do you ship a suit so it doesn't get damaged???

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'Cause I'm a mo-ron, apparently.

I wouldn't call you a moron, but you pretty much wrecked my evening. 8.5D is my size...

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I wouldn't call you a moron, but you pretty much wrecked my evening. 8.5D is my size...
lol8[1].gif
b/c of your avatar it fit's perfect but in this instance AMProf = Paypal

GHo

Reaction score

Made another stop...a few heartbreaks: Super recent NWT (sleeve tag, price tag, the works) Brooks Brothers 15% wool/85% cashmere charcoal jacket...problems: 1) orphan...which I could normally overlook, but 2) moth hole near the shoulder.  Wtf conditions were this in to have a moth hole already?!  It looked less than a year old. 

Also a super soft Hickey Freeman custom suit...not super recent but really nice, soft fabric and an attractive design.  Moth holes.

My finds:

Very recent US-made Ted Baker London suit.  Never seen a Ted Baker suit before.  Attractive pattern (faint blue & red pinstripes).

Was heading toward the door and someone left this very recent Burberry London suit hanging from the belts near the checkout (you know, when people change their minds at the register and get too lazy to walk back...I hate that ****.  Oh well, my benefit!) - with the braces still attached:

Oh, and this...my first:

icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
.  Excellent condition, my size!  The buttons are almost comically thick, but the shirt is really gorgeous, super soft and very nice overall.  Very cool...never seen one before.

So, question...what is this for?  I know it's below the tuck line but I don't get the reason/purpose of it...I've seen it on tuxedo shirts before (I think), but I never wear those kind so I never knew what the purpose of it was:

How much more than thrift prices?  Those numbers are in my range..

dude is KILLING it lately! :cheers:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Three more BNWT Corneliani Ties Today! Added to my Mega-Thread! :slayer:

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

Soooo found a guy with some nice suits he's trying to get rid of (more than normal thrifting prices). Some of you may have heard of them, think he said they were called Kite-in or Kyte-on. :rolleyes:

This would be my first (non-mens wearhouse) suit purchase. Do you guys have any tips for checking out suits or anything kiton specific?
Obviously, look for damage and check fit. I was going to bring a dress shirt and dress shoes to help check fit. I'm not sure how many he has, but its more than a few. If theres any interest, I can try to proxy for you. He said they are 42 jacket and about 33/34 waist.

Unfortunately, I can't head over there until saturday. I think I may go crazy waiting that long:bounce2:

If they are in good shape buy them all :) kiton suit for 150 is such a good deal yikes

I'll front you cash for at least one and if there are two I like I'll immediately send the cash for the other. Fixed price at 150 though....no surprise raising the prices!

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I'll front you cash for at least one and if there are two I like I'll immediately send the cash for the other. Fixed price at 150 though....no surprise raising the prices!

So he can't make a few bucks ($10, $20, $50 for his time) and still pass along a killer deal that 99.99% of people that these fit would be thrilled with.. and has to eat the shipping costs
puzzled.gif
Just wondering
peepwall[1].gif

Im just giving you **** Toscano. Love the shoes you proxied for me!!!
fing02[1].gif

Below:
Holy Hell!!! Guys, please hold off on PMing me, I'm getting blasted w/emails.

I will post up with more information after I check them out.
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

mrdeep2001

Reaction score

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

So he can't make a few bucks ($10, $20, $50 for his time) and still pass along a killer deal that 99.99% of people that these fit would be thrilled with.. and has to eat the shipping costs :puzzled: Just wondering
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

Im just giving you **** Toscano. Love the shoes you proxied for me!!!

No...I mean that he and the guy appear to have an understanding at around 150 for the item to pass from the owner to him, before any of mr. deeps justifiable markups. That's the base price that I don't want see all of a sudden be 250 and then require the markups. If someone tells me they are going to get it for 150 and then charge me a 30 proxy fee, then I'm happy to pay 180. If they get the item and say well, it was really 250 plus 30 for proxy, then they can get bent.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, poor guy. I can think of at least 5-6 usual suspects who I just know PMd him.

Also, hey man, why didn't you reply to my PM?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
Actually, I was back at that store today, and someone had bought both! I imagine they're in for a nice surprise though - there are bad damages to both of them (e.g. large fabric rips) - but they may not care for their purposes!
Three stores today, only two pickups - Florsheim shell longwings in 8D and a Brooks Brothers Brookstweed scottish shetland 3/2 in 40R. The Brookstweed came from a HUGE haul of 40R Brooks Brothers stuff - twelve or thirteen suits and three or four SC's. Good mix of 3/2, 2 button, pleats, flat fronts... but in every single case either there were moth holes or plain undesirable styling (2 button with pleated pants) - might sell but I wasn't risking it for what I think was mid-80's stuff. Checked that tweed over multiple times... I won't find the hole until I'm measuring it, probably.
baldy[1].gif

I assume nobody wants to see the tweed, but the shoes I'm going to do before and after pics of as a case in point about how everyone should not ignore beat-up awful looking shoes!

I'd like to see the tweed pics

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soooo found a guy with some nice suits he's trying to get rid of (more than normal thrifting prices). Some of you may have heard of them, think he said they were called Kite-in or Kyte-on.
rolleyes.gif

This would be my first (non-mens wearhouse) suit purchase. Do you guys have any tips for checking out suits or anything kiton specific?
Obviously, look for damage and check fit. I was going to bring a dress shirt and dress shoes to help check fit. I'm not sure how many he has, but its more than a few. If theres any interest, I can try to proxy for you. He said they are 42 jacket and about 33/34 waist.

Unfortunately, I can't head over there until saturday. I think I may go crazy waiting that long
bounce2.gif

Yes please! What was the price?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, and this...my first:
:slayer: Out of all the shirts I've found (Borrelli, Kiton, Brioni, T&A, etc), Fray is one of my top three. A good amount of handwork and great details like but super thick MOP buttons and button placket.
Talked to him again a little bit ago, he's asking for about $150 per suit. Luckily, I'm already in the market for a suit, but not sure if that's out of the budget for people here as its a thrifting thread. Anything I get I would prefer to offer up to members here, as I've learned so much from this thread. If there is interest, I will grab what I can, but I don't have much disposable income at the moment.
As Mainy said, that's a helluva deal for a Kiton suit. Grab them all if you can! You'll be kicking yourself down the road if you don't. See what else this guy is willing to get rid of too. Chances are if he's getting rid of some Kiton suits, he might also be unloading some nice sportcoats and dress shirts too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads