The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1, its fun to see the change first hand. However, I may have developed a mild case of tendinitis and possibly CTS from all the buffing.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

2. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Had the exact same shoe many years ago, think I bought them in 1985, one of my favorites. Had them recrafted by AE and then wore them out. I now have an Oak pair.

3. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Still have four or five things left, Chester barrie fell through (the 42L). Let me know if anyone interested in a quick trade/sale, looking to hit the stores again tomorrow.
    Still hard to capture color on this, close up of the lapel is the true color though, really nice, buyer fell through, sorry for everyone else I turned away. It's still available.

Chest: 22 1/16"
    Shoulder - Shoulder = 20 1/16"
    L = 32 1/8"

Forgot arm length at home, will update later (dunno how I did this)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ascot Chang (16 /37ish, gotta remeasure)
    [​IMG]

Bruno Magli Remiglios
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith London - The West Bourne Suit (40R)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corneliani Navy Blue Sport Coat (38R)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pink
    15.5 / 35 (may keep and just get tailored)
    [​IMG]

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yeah, they seem really solid. These are in good condition with just some scuffs on the toes. I'll take some before / after pics and put them up.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Why dont you post these in the B&S forum? IMO you going to have better luck (as people are looking to buy clothes there) then waiting for someone from this thread (with a very limited number of people) to want them.

6. tben

tben Senior member

Hit one store only picked up a pair of PRL shorts and some new sneakers. However, I stopped by Marshalls and they have a wool blend (felt like linen) HSM SC on final clearance, I wasn't able to take any photos as I had to quickly return to work due to an emergency but I would be willing to proxy/go back and take photos for interested fellow thrifters, size 48L.

Sorry! I forgot to add, it was $29.

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Found a couple staple ties at lunch (BB and HF) and an Oxxford sportcoat (my first) in my size. Unsure about whether to keep it as the sleeves might be a tad too short. BTW, Is there a way to date Oxxford based on the label?

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

'
    2 out of 3 of mine have a cloth label inside the inner pocket with a date handwritten on it, but they don't all have the label, and some of the ones that do aren't filled out. I'm sure that's probably not much help.

9. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Hi! I made it out to one store. Not too much today.

Brioni for Neiman Marcus 17 1/2 (available):

[​IMG]

Ermenegildo Zegna (L-R) 100% Linen and 62% Linen / 38% Cotton Summer Shirts 17 1/2 (both available):

[​IMG]

Also found were a gray herringbone Harris Tweed with patch pockets and a really cool pair of Brooks Brothers silk braces with watches printed on them for me. Thanks! -M-

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

80s:

[​IMG]

90s:

[​IMG]

I think the super recent ones (early-mid 2000s) look like the 90s label but...newer. Someone can correct this.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I also have a jacket with no inner patch, except the Oxxford Clothes for Neiman Marcus Black and Gold. Any way to tell the age then?

12. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Had a pretty good week so far....
    Band of Outsiders by Martin Greenfield Black Suit 40R - my first BoO piece I've seen in the wild.
    Some various shirts - CT, Prada, 3 NWT Gitman Bros
    PRL Tweed Overcoat in a greyish barley color 40L
    Couple recent NWT Ferragammo ties
    AE MacNeils black 10.5 EEE
    Vintage Alan Paine oatmeal camel hair sweater with suede elbow patches size 44
    Vintage Omega DeVille for wifey -> $6

And my favorite of the week was a US made Woolrich hunting coat (size L). Very cool camo pattern. Included a nice bonus left in the pocket of a 3/4 pack of Big Red gum and a live shotgun round. First time I've ever found live ammo in a thrift find. Got quite the reaction when I handed it over to the lady at the counter.

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

The good: a pair of nearly new old-school black pebble grain Hanover longwings for just $3.99. Look to have been worn no more than five times.

The bad: They wrote the price on the inside of the leather tongue with indelible silver ink that I doubt I will ever be able to fully remove. And they've started to do that with all the shoes, I noticed. Why, oh why, do they do that? Better than the mercifully short stapling stage, but still. Just when I thought they had figured out that writing the price on the soles was the way to go...

14. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Anyone have any opinions on Ravazzolo suits? There were a couple I passed on. They looked like quality but I didn't have my cell on me and the price was a little high to make them a certain flip buy without knowing for sure.

15. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I may start doing that but I have a phobia of the new B&S. Actually, it's probably not a phobia so much as I am protesting the new format. I didn't even use SF for like 4 months after they switched it over. :satisfied:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.