• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome back man! All you need to know in summary: Mainy found 7 Kiton NWT ties (still in the bags) yesterday.

So, par for the course.
peepwall[1].gif

im not going to read all 200 pages since my last login, so hope everyone has had good thrifting luck!

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Is there a way to print first class postage via the web?

I use Stamps.com, there's also Endicia. There is a monthly charge but if you're shipping a lot of packages and don't have the time to wait in the post office... For me it makes sense on many levels.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pro tip on the tie shipping: Shipping ties Priority mail is a huge waste of money. Hugeeee waste of money. You can wrap one in a tyvek envelope, stick in a brown manilla envelope, and pay first class postage. Gets there in the exact same amount of time as Priority mail. Never had any problems, probably shipped 200+ ties this way by now.

I never ship ties in an envelope as they get squashed.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old post, but anyone in the know have any clue about Cassidy? My googling came up with absolutely nil.

Ok, this one is a big question mark: Cassidy navy gold button blazer. It's definitely vintage though I don't know how old, but it seems really well made and is very nice. It's got all of the hallmarks of quality: hand sewn lapels, pick stitching throughout, heavy fabric, etc., but I can't find anything at all about the brand in a google search. Can anyone in the know help a brotha out?

Last edited:

Bartlebooth

Reaction score

This is correct.  Unfinished cedar, about $10, they look similar to this:

http://woodlore.com/mm5/merchant.mv...-OneSize-Shoe-Tree&Category_Code=Shoe-Trees-M

I've picked up a few and they're decent, but the heel portion tends to get stuck.

Philosophical thrifting question:

Let's say one were to pick up a Borrelli shirt, NWT, that is quite a bit larger than necessary and thus subject to an Ebay flipping, but which had obviously been sitting unused somewhere and had thus lost a bit of its "newness."

1) Do you wash it?
2) If so, how?
3) Do you still consider it NWT?

A) Bed Bath & Beyond also has these for <$10 right now. Saw 'em the other day, but the wedge-front style is unappealing to me. I've got some gifted socks to return to The 3-for-1 Suit Supplier That Shall Not Be Named, so I plan on going there.

B) IMHO, if it's been worn for more than a try-on or washed, it is no longer NWT. I'd go with what [some wise body—sorry, don't feel like looking it up] said and say it's NWT but needs cleaning.

Finally, a single-breasted peak-lapel corduroy sport coat. It's labeled "Made in Italy," but I don't see any other labels that would indicate the maker. It seems pretty nice, but I think it's just a tad too small for me. I'm not sure where I'd wear it anyway. Oh well. Anybody recognize anything on the inside label?

Wow, that made it out quick. I donated this today along with a bunch of shoes. :alien:

I've often wondered about doing some donation-delay testing in the Bay Area, but I'm not thrifting enough right now to catch my donations. I quite like the jacket, but alas, not my size...

s_allen_p

Reaction score
In regards to cheap shoe trees - I was ordering shoe trees at Willies Shoe Service a few years back and didn't realize how much a good set cost. That Raul Ojeda guy from the Don Ville Shoes told me that rather than using cheap shoe trees which can stretch the heels out, he recommended using rolled up newspaper. Curious what others think of this advice.

Also, I came across what looks to me to be a fully hand stitched jacket (Jimmy Chen) twice now in a store I frequent. It's not my size, has a light stain on the bottom of one of the sleeves, and they're asking $37 for it. I'll be honest, I've never seen a hand sewn jacket before, so I have no idea how special this is, if at all, beyond who the maker is. Is it worth grabbing? There's no tag with a size.

sorry about the orientation

the stain

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here is an Ebay Trading Assistant? LINK If yes, could you speak about what its like? Thanks.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe you can from USPS.com. My issue is I don't have a scale, and really can't be bothered going to the post office to weigh things. Happy to save me and the buyer a few bucks, but how do I estimate weight? Do you guys have scales?

I bought the $40.00 one the Post Office sells. I goes up to 10 lbs and takes the weight to fractions of an once, and it has a hold function. Well worth the money IMO.

AMProf

Reaction score
Took a trip to the Brooks Brothers clearance center in Garland, NC this week. Among some interesting things I left behind:

A pair of shell cordovan bluchers in size 8.5 D, retail $598.00, priced at $66.00. A little bit of fading on the leather around the laces, like perhaps they had been out on display in the sun? Note also the wall of ties in the background.

photo3.jpg

Pair of men's tuxedo shoes-- a formal "bow pump", perfect conditon, I think size 10, for about $66.00

photo2-1.jpg

Did pick up a decent supply of ties and a few shirts that will be making an appearance on B&S in a day or so.

Nice time at the store, relatively uncrowded on a Monday, two employees there were really pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics