1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Welcome back man! All you need to know in summary: Mainy found 7 Kiton NWT ties (still in the bags) yesterday.

So, par for the course. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I use Stamps.com, there's also Endicia. There is a monthly charge but if you're shipping a lot of packages and don't have the time to wait in the post office... For me it makes sense on many levels.

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I never ship ties in an envelope as they get squashed.

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Sorry to revive an old post, but anyone in the know have any clue about Cassidy? My googling came up with absolutely nil.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Get a $1 bubble mailer

6. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

A) Bed Bath & Beyond also has these for <$10 right now. Saw 'em the other day, but the wedge-front style is unappealing to me. I've got some gifted socks to return to The 3-for-1 Suit Supplier That Shall Not Be Named, so I plan on going there.

B) IMHO, if it's been worn for more than a try-on or washed, it is no longer NWT. I'd go with what [some wise body—sorry, don't feel like looking it up] said and say it's NWT but needs cleaning.

I've often wondered about doing some donation-delay testing in the Bay Area, but I'm not thrifting enough right now to catch my donations. I quite like the jacket, but alas, not my size...

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

ha, you missed a few things... kiton guanaco, 6x nwt kiton ties, a bunch of nwt corneliani ties, and i'm not even getting into details

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

They still get flattened. You don't pay a lot of money for a hand rolled tie just to have it squashed in the post...

9. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

In regards to cheap shoe trees - I was ordering shoe trees at Willies Shoe Service a few years back and didn't realize how much a good set cost. That Raul Ojeda guy from the Don Ville Shoes told me that rather than using cheap shoe trees which can stretch the heels out, he recommended using rolled up newspaper. Curious what others think of this advice.

Also, I came across what looks to me to be a fully hand stitched jacket (Jimmy Chen) twice now in a store I frequent. It's not my size, has a light stain on the bottom of one of the sleeves, and they're asking $37 for it. I'll be honest, I've never seen a hand sewn jacket before, so I have no idea how special this is, if at all, beyond who the maker is. Is it worth grabbing? There's no tag with a size.

sorry about the orientation
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    the stain[​IMG]

10. JChance

JChance Senior member

Anyone on here is an Ebay Trading Assistant? LINK If yes, could you speak about what its like? Thanks.

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I bought the $40.00 one the Post Office sells. I goes up to 10 lbs and takes the weight to fractions of an once, and it has a hold function. Well worth the money IMO.

12. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

Took a trip to the Brooks Brothers clearance center in Garland, NC this week. Among some interesting things I left behind:

A pair of shell cordovan bluchers in size 8.5 D, retail $598.00, priced at $66.00. A little bit of fading on the leather around the laces, like perhaps they had been out on display in the sun? Note also the wall of ties in the background.

[​IMG]

Pair of men's tuxedo shoes-- a formal "bow pump", perfect conditon, I think size 10, for about $66.00

[​IMG]

Did pick up a decent supply of ties and a few shirts that will be making an appearance on B&S in a day or so.

Nice time at the store, relatively uncrowded on a Monday, two employees there were really pleasant.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I've got one less than 30 miles from me and have yet to make it out there.

:brick:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  14. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

As far as I know there's only one BB clearance center. This is not an "outlet" or factory store.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

How much were ties / bow ties / shirts there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.