The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1 - most places CONUS for around 2 bucks or less with tracking.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. grendel

grendel Senior member

Is there a way to print first class postage via the web?

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+1 who would ever ship a tie Priority Mail [​IMG] Most packed ties come out under 4oz so thats $1.81 with free tracking if you print your label though ebay.

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Yep, this is what I do with ties. Never any problems, and usually about half the cost to ship.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just shipped on to Brazil tonight for 5 bucks.

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

Haha oops, thought I saw something about a priority mail flat rate envelope... skimming = reading fail :slayer:

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I believe you can from USPS.com. My issue is I don't have a scale, and really can't be bothered going to the post office to weigh things. Happy to save me and the buyer a few bucks, but how do I estimate weight? Do you guys have scales?

8. Brianpore

Can't hurt to reiterate the point though so everyone knows. Don't want to spend more money shipping then needed. [​IMG]

THRIFTED an old kitchen cooking scale at Salvation Army for $1 :) It only goes up to 5lbs, but is perfect for what I need. One of the best investments I've made and it has paid for itself in time of running to the post office and not over estimating package weights. If your shipping daily or even every few days I would say get a cheap scale, well worth it!

9. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

In reverse order - yes you need a scale. Digital if possible.

Unless things have changed, you can't print postage for first class directly from the web site EXCEPT when you're working through somebody who has an agreement with them. This includes paypal (not sure if it works for personal payment, but it does for regular payment for product). Also includes ebay.

If you need another way, there is a program called "shipping assistant" that you can download (I think from USPS) that will allow you to print any kind of label you need, and you can put tracking on at the electronic rate rather than the in person rate. Well worth the trouble. Straight through paypal/ebay/amazon still beats it though.

As for using priority envelopes/boxes as packing materials, it isn't technically allowed. Do what you want to, but if I send you a tie the cardboard stiffener is probalby going to be from Mini Wheats box. (Well, Aldi's knock off Mini wheats). I'm just saying.

10. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

im not going to read all 200 pages since my last login, so hope everyone has had good thrifting luck!

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I thought I read something on USPS.com recently that they were going to start offering online label printing for first class, but now I can't seem to find it. Sorry if I was mistaken.

12. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

A Pendleton 100% wool shirt. Nataku, is this the kind of shirt that you've found is desirable? It's a medium, so way too small for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

D.B.,

If it has a loop collar, which I think it does, you should have no problem selling it. Just make sure you put "loop collar, flap pockets" in the title, it also could be listed as a 60's Board shirt as there has been a resurgence since Pendleton has been marketing them as something the Beach Boys would wear after surfing to warm-up. Since it is a medium, gonna have to find a smaller guy that will want this style, but not sure where these stand in Japan, i.e. "Coolness", but if they are, then the medium should be a good size. This is from the 60's btw.

D.

13. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

i remember reading the same thing. think it was a message from ebay iirc.

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

They say childbirth is worse than getting kicked in the balls. However, a few months / years after going through such an ordeal, a lady often feels like having another baby. Now if you think logically, how many gentleman go to their friends and say "Alright lads, I feel like another kick in the balls"?

Thrifting is also like getting a kick in the nuts. You wade through a lot of clothes, and guy picking over what I left behind brought up a mint looking and recent Belvest Windowpane Sport Coat - how the fuck did I miss that :facepalm:? Any of you folks sometimes not pay attention or let your mind drift?

15. Brianpore

Nope, all business all the time [​IMG] lol, and thanks for the label on the YSL. Put them in my phone (dont have that fancy internet crap yet)

This is why I read every post in this thread. Never know about the "loop collar". Just picked up an old Pendleton and thankfully it has the loop collar but now I know what to look for, that and larger sizes in any color but red seem to sell much better from a quick ebay completed auction search. The one I got was a size Medium in Red...oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.