The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

interesting. I was hoping you weren't saying it was to cut costs of materials :lol:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Glad I changed the word to frugal from cheap.... [​IMG] plus all the USPS stuff is free.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Hence my (attempted) joak. :D

4. rose04

rose04 Well-Known Member

That's a little different than I thought. It's hard to tell based on the lighting, but I think that's the Tumi red paint in the embossing. I'd try rubbing it with a paper towel and some acetone and see what happens. Just to be safe, I'd try the acetone on an inconspicuous place first. I've only ever tried it on the leather initial plates Tumi puts on their nylon bags.

Even if you cant get it off, it's a good find. Tumi really stands behind their stuff.

5. plei89

plei89 Senior member

[​IMG]

All Brand New WIth Tags Cornelianis + One Pal Zileri Tie. All up for grabs except the solid burgundy one, which is my keeper. Will be making a listing here in a couple mins ​

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow, that made it out quick. I donated this today along with a bunch of shoes. :alien:

As for the Pendleton, close but not exactly. The ones that I find are really desirable have buttons on the pocket flaps but are rounded like that and have a slightly pointer, longer collar. That is a nice pattern/color and you should have no problem finding it a new home, though.

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

First store was pretty decent:

[​IMG]

Top to bottom, left to right: PRL Contrast collar, vintage looking Gitman Bros 100% linen, Burberry London FC, AWESOME PRL 100% wool lumberjack shirt w/PRL horse on the breast pocket (it seems identical in quality to Pendletons), vintage Emprorio Armani button down (I know it's probably crap but I got it mostly for lulz...it has 2 throat buttons and the black button down buttons are comically big).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is another one I got for the wtf value...Armani Collezioni...obviously old, really weird material (though quite soft). 98%/2% Wool/Viscose blend. So weird. haha.

Next store, got a really nice looking NWT Brooks Bros tie. Oh, and this...

[​IMG]

Blizam!: Canali, Z Zegna, Paul Smith, Etro, Etro...all sitting right next to each other, lined up like pretty little birdies in a row. I audibly said "oh shit" after the first 2-3 and realizing that there were more coming. Also got a characteristically wild Robert Graham obviously from the same donor that I'll spare you all.

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

NWT Kitons yesterday... NWT Cornelianis today...

tomorrow, I hope I'm the one who finds the NWT Zegnas, continuing the quality curve? ;)

Oh, and zilch out of four stores today. Did find a 19.99 blu-ray player but the store had NOT A SINGLE TV WITH RCA JACKS. How weird is that? I'm back there almost every day though... if they get one in I'll test it and get it for my parents to drag them into the blu-ray age if it works.

9. Brianpore

What's up with NWT tie hauls the last two days!?

10. rose04

rose04 Well-Known Member

So what's the deal with Ferragamo ties? It's seems impossible to find them without some sort of damage. Usually I find them with a massive numbers of pulls, sometimes fraying, etc. I don't think I've ever found one in all that good shape. They must be some of the most fragile things ever.

I found a recent one today with a cool circus print, everything looked good except for two pulls at the very bottom. They're there, but they aren't that noticeable. I bought it simply because I couldn't resist the thought of walking into meetings declaring "I'm wearing this because it's a circus around here." Juvenile? Probably.

11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

If the uppers are in pretty good shape and they fit you good, then yes. Around here everyone seems to charge $75 and up for leather soles and rubber heels, so it's an investment. Also, I heard that AE can give them a full "official" recondition treatment that cost $100 or so. Never tried that, though. will pm you on the zanellas.

12. plei89

plei89 Senior member

Probably my first major haul in a long time — Nothing to be envious about; I've seen people with 349384x better hauls on here...

13. Brianpore

ummmmmm OK...... [​IMG] lol I'm thrilled when I find a used Zegna! Sent you a PM if anything is under 3.5" (dosnt look to be though)

14. Brianpore

A few more things from this past weekend [​IMG]

Southwick Navy 2Btn Flannel Suit - 42L
    Flat front pants, Half lined, Fully canvassed
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Brown Camel Hair Sport Coat - 44R

Brooks Brothers Brown Worsted Sport Coat - 45R

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

Pro tip on the tie shipping: Shipping ties Priority mail is a huge waste of money. Hugeeee waste of money. You can wrap one in a tyvek envelope, stick in a brown manilla envelope, and pay first class postage. Gets there in the exact same amount of time as Priority mail. Never had any problems, probably shipped 200+ ties this way by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.