The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I picked up a digi scale on eBay for around $10 new. It will handle up to 80 lbs in increments of 1/10 oz. I had the P.O. verify the weights a few times to make sure it was accurate. It has saved me $$$ on undercharging or overpaying for shipping. I print all my labels throught ebay/paypal.
    Also, If you have at least one package which is priority mail, the P.O. will pick it up. Even if you have 20 packages and only one is priority, they will grab them all, and its FREE. I almost never step foot in the P.O. anymore. You can schedule a pick up on the USPS website. It saves a lot of time especially if you ship daily.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I ship ties in these, rolled and in bags. They are lightweight, sturdy and only .41 a piece.

(50) 6 x 3 x 2 White Corrugated Shipping Mailer Boxes

3. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    What do you use? I have never had any complaints that the tie was squashed...

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I've had a couple of ties sent to me in these little cardboard boxes, just maybe 4 inches square, and the tie rolled up inside in a plastic sleeve. Seems to work well. I suppose it alleviates concerns about being crushed... but honestly, I've never had a problem with a tie that was sent flat in a mailer either, all kinds of brands and quality levels all the way down to tie swap box #2 levels, aaand they all showed up just fine, or nothing that a couple days of hanging couldn't fix.

Really, if one is overly worrying about slight crushing in the mail, one might want to consider buying retail... IMO a little relaxation goes a long way. If there's actually damage then it's the seller's responsibility of course, but I think a bubble mailer or something rigid along with tissue paper in an envelope is more than sufficient. It's like the folks who buy insurance on every item - they don't realize how much money they're throwing away.

5. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

another pro tip, if your not doing transaction thru paypal, or its a personal payment and you cant print from paypal, although usps.com does not have an option for first class mail, stamps.com does, and you can print from there first class labels, plus they might give you a better deal for alot of shipments.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You can also visit a previuosly printed paypal label, click print another label for this shipment and edit the address to the new buyer address.

7. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

i think the cornelianis are discount not thrift, correct me if im wrong

8. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Re. the Priority pick up. Lets say I leave all day for work. do you leave your box(es) in your front door? Or inside your street box?

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I leave mine on the front porch, but I live in a good neighborhood. There are all sorts of pickup location options (front door, back door, porch, neighbors house etc. I'm pretty sure you can even have them pick it up at a location within a mile away or something like that. I guess it really all depends on your area and how much you trust your neighbors and passers by.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Which one did you get? Was it one of the Saga ones? Any problems with it?

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I will have to check on the brand later today, but I have been using it for 4 or 5 years...never any problems.

12. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I'm not accusing anyone of anything; this isn't an allegation. My mom manages a much more upscale "Forever 21"-type store (think Forever 21 meets Neiman Marcus), and people are constantly ripping off merchandise (with the tags still attached). About two years ago, the cops busted a ring of shoplifters who were stealing the stuff, then selling it on that auction 'site.

No one here would do anything like that, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one wondering if some of the NWT stuff on the B&S has fallen off of the back of a truck.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.