• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some success these past few days:
Norwegian Sweater (keeping this for myself, flawless and my size)
Britches of Georgetown navy knit tie - flawless
Rivetz of Boston for Yale Co-op red/blue/white repp tie - not flawless, but still pretty damn good (pretty sure I'm going to keep this)
I know Southwick doesn't get much love here, but I found a flawless 42R gray sport coat (which I'm willing to flip)
3 BB ties - two are slightly wrinkled but in great shape, the other is BNWT
Sartoria by Tom James green, blue, gray striped tie - mint

I don't know much about Tom James, but the construction looked very good (tag says hand made in USA) and it was only $1

thrift-fu

Reaction score
How much are you asking? I can't afford it at the moment, just curious
laugh.gif

I can't find anything similar for sale, so I have no real measure of what it could be worth.

As an aside... It should be obvious that I'm new to this. Not thrifting in general, as that's been my specialty for years. I recently decided that I was tired of wearing my terrible polyester suit, and that I might put my thrifting skills to use in finding some nicer, dressier clothes. Little did I know what was out there, until I started to learn what to look for. Now, I have a habit (another), and a better wardrobe.
smile.gif

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to run down to Annapolis first thing in the morning but I have early afternoon appointments back up in Baltimore. I'll try to swing by. I've never found much at that GW other than my Bernard Hill tux and a pair of early Florsheim Imperials. Five suits? I've rarely seen more than 3 at a time there. If they're still there if and when I can make it, what's your desire?

Well, the Alexandre Suits turned out to be a bust. The only larger jacket (44 or 46 ) was an orphan and marked at $40 and all of the other pieces ($15) fit me like they were 36 or smaller. I couldn't even get the front to touch, let alone manage to button any of them. I left them since they appeared to be useless based on size.

Meanwhile, on the positive side (for me, anyhow) was finding this Italian made "Racing Green" navy 3 roll 2 cotton sport coat. I googled it and Racing Green is (was?) a mid level British maker. The thing is even canvassed. The cotton is very thick and somewhat fleeced and it is fully lined with a single vent. Finally. Something to wear over lighter Levis. I'm sorry that the Alexandres didn't work out but glad that I made the trip!

P1240388-1.jpg
P1240382-1.jpg

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ odd for a cotton jacket to be fully canvassed. Even very high end ones from Cucinelli, Loro Piana, Kiton etc usually skimp on the canvassing.

w00tah

Reaction score
How often do you guys thrift?
It feels like I can only find low end basics and the occasional shoe find at the local thrift stores.

MattR

Reaction score

It feels like I can only find low end basics and the occasional shoe find at the local thrift stores.

Lately, it's only been once a week. Last semester, I was averaging once at least every other day. The degree to which I find stuff now has slowed accordingly.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude... that brooks brothers jacket is killer. You are going to clean up on ebay with that thing! B2 stuff with that kind of age has been selling for crazy money lately, please list that thing so we can see what happens :slayer:

... aaaand it didn't sell. I know the starting price was aggressive, maybe I should've started at 9.99 or whatever but I'm highly averse to getting nothing if I take the time and risk to throw stuff on Ebay. :(

link - did I commit some awful sin of listing or something?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1201...220934955654&ssPageName=ADME:L:EOISSU:US:1123

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
I thrift in waves. Sometimes I make the full rounds twice in a week, carefully perusing every rack of menswear and glancing at a few womenswear racks for misshelvings. Sometimes I swing by a GW, because I happen to be in the neighborhood, and just give the shoes and suits a quick browse, but otherwise don't go for a few weeks. I've stumbled into a thrift for the first time in weeks, twenty minutes before I have to be at work, and walked out in ten minutes with a haul of high-quality pieces I spotted at a glance; other times I've spent the day scouring half the stores in the city, hitting multiple locations of multiple chains, and not found a thing worth picking.

It's a complete gamble. Persistence will definitely be rewarded, but not by much. If you're a beginner to both clothing and thrifting, do it so you can learn to spot quality without relying on brand names (by using brand names, in the early stages, to help you identify quality). I think that knowing what is and isn't worthwhile will get you at least as far, if not further than going frequently.

amadar

Reaction score
Jil Sander Eu 52 black leather jacket, fits like a 40R. Also a cashmere side vented houndstooth Bullock and Jones SC. The Jil Sander fits with nice slim sleeves, but I'm not sure I'm much of a leather person......we'll see.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's stuff from last week.

Lorenzini shirt

Facconable pants

Brioni Sport pants

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
13.jpg

That thing is nice. Let me know when you get chest measurement and if it's available.

Bit of a traddy day for me. Found a staple BB suit (navy pinstripe) for myself and a Harris Tweed for my brother. Plus the following (all in the 40-42 range) -

Two Blue Blazers:

Hickey Freeman ("customized" for the Andover Shop, really heavy (serge?), definitely a blazer as it had pretty rad metal buttons on it)

Canali Milano (where does the Milano line fall in the Canali spectrum?)

And these two odd jackets:

Hickey Freeman Houndstooth (black and white with a red overcheck)

Older Zegna (black with grey windowpane, wool/cashmere blend)

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a few thrift circuits. I hit the SA and Economy Store by work everyday at lunch. On the way home I hit the GW near work. On Monday Wednesday and Saturday I hit the 4 thrift stores closer to my home. Friday after work I head for my "northern loop" where I hit 5 stores in a larger city. Sunday I usually don't go, but have been known to venture in every now and then.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... aaaand it didn't sell. I know the starting price was aggressive, maybe I should've started at 9.99 or whatever but I'm highly averse to getting nothing if I take the time and risk to throw stuff on Ebay.
frown.gif

link - did I commit some awful sin of listing or something?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1201...220934955654&ssPageName=ADME:L:EOISSU:US:1123

Now I am a total Ebay beginner, so please take this with a grain of thrifted salt, but even as mainly an Ebay browser, I find it more helpful when the main picture is of the coat/suit itself, rather than the label. You've got the mannequin, which is already one step ahead of everyone else trying to sell, so you should use it to really show off your wares. The title says the brand anyway so just use the label as your second or third picture. Just my two cents (saved you as a seller FYI).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads