The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Well, I don't have a camera good enough to take legible pictures of the sidewall, but it says "11 1/2D 0H02 020 12" and then below that "1101"

Based on the shape alone, I'm 99% sure these are Aldens. Just looking for a confirmation to make sure I'm not wishful thinking.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Usually there is a cursive L and X in Alden numbers. and the widths will be stacked in fraction format with the smaller width on top. I don't know if this is the case 100% of the time, but every pair I've come across had it.

Example:
    [​IMG]

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

Sounds like you should hand-wash them like cashmere sweaters

4. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I thought about calling dibs on dat Marjhellah, but I figured he'd want some yeezy coin for it.

I have a Miyake long sleeve sinbad collared shirt that my girlfriend has forbidden me to wear, if you're interested in trying to pull it off yourself..

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

5. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

LMAO. The second I saw the shirt that line ran through my head. I don't think I'm letting go of the Margiela just so I can run around saying that. The Issey I'm confused as shit about because I'm 99% sure it's a men's shirt (fits like one, buttons on right, etc.), but on the tag it's a bunch of Japanese but I'm pretty sure it says size 6, which is usually women's sizing. Still think I'm gonna rock it if no one wants it :slayer:

Edit: And on any of those I don't charge Yeezy prices. Usually only a small markup and the shipping, I don't really do this to make money as much as I sell the extras to just fund the habit.

6. Lin

Lin Member

One more suggestion: I bought a hand-stitched patchwork quilt that was on the ground at an estate sale--FILTHY dirty. Soaked in Biz in a trash can for several days with the occasional stir and it it was beautiful. And at the risk of looking like a laundry geek, almost nothing smells better than Biz.

7. Lin

Lin Member

Sorry about double post--I meant to put my suggestion here: I bought a hand-stitched patchwork quilt that was on the ground at an estate sale--FILTHY dirty. Soaked in Biz in a trash can for several days with the occasional stir and it it was beautiful. And at the risk of looking like a laundry geek, almost nothing smells better than Biz.

8. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Hrm. There's no stacked width and no letter X, but the letters are in cursive, and the 1s and 2s are slanted (the 2s being especially distinguishable), as in the image. Maybe the Peale & Co. labeling is different?

9. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Tom James Royal Classic Holland & Sherry Blue Birdseye Suit - Approx 40R (short legs unless you undo cuff)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ermenegildo Zegna Beige Birdseye Suit - Approx 44R (tagged a 56R though)

Hickey Freeman Classic Peak Lapel 1 Button Black Tuxedo - Approx 40R

On a side note: If anyone finds some nice black leather gloves thrifting, size small, please pick them up for me.

10. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

Here's some of my recent finds. I don't think I've posted any of these yet.

Stuff I'm looking to sell or trade (low prices! - any imperfections have been noted). PM me for measurements. I really need to get this stuff out of my closet.

Zegna Glenplaid Sportcoat (MTM but fits like US 38R - very slim)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Zegna High Performance Sportcoat, made in Italy (fits like US 42R). Awesome lapel roll - 3 roll 2. Minor chip on one sleeve button
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Canali Sportcoat (EU 50R). Awesome lapel roll.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Recent Canali double windowpane suit (EU 54L, drop 7). Small moth hole in the trousers, but this is a beautiful jacket that could easily be worn as a SC.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Canali suit pants Navy (almost identical blue to windowpane suit above). (measure 34" at the waist) 1 3/4" cuff. 31.5" inseam.
    [​IMG]

Oxxford Suit (42 Onwentsia). Super worsted charcoal with faint pinstripe. Quality is insane! Trousers have been brought in to 34".
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Oxxford DB 6x1 POW Check (41 Laurent). Super 100s. Glenplaid with faint tan overcheck. Quality is out of this world. Trousers are marked 36.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Recent Jil Sander Tailor Made 3 roll 2 navy jacket (EUR 48). Super slim…very tempted to keep this one myself but I have a similar blazer already. Awesome light construction. Fully canvassed. High lapel notches.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Super-slim Harris Tweed herringbone with tan and blue vertical stripes (from a local MTM shop - Shoulders are 18", fits about US 38R). Real leather buttons (not plastic) I really wish this were a touch bigger so I could keep it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Recent finds that I'm keeping:

A few ties (I don't buy ties unless I will wear them myself - paid about $1 per tie)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BB Cotton partially lined blazer (paid $4)
    [​IMG]

11. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

Have any of you guys ever sold buttons before? I found this Burberry's Prorsum blazer with the gold equestrian buttons on it. The jacket has 2 small holes in the back and the fabric on the front has a lot of wrinkles. It's way too big for me (goodwill marked it as a 46) so I was looking to sell it, but it looks the buttons themselves sell for a lot more on eBay than I could actually get for the jacket. I've seen the sets go from $50 to $150. Here are some pictures if anyone is interested. Otherwise I think I'm going to destroy this jacket for the buttons unless one of you guys stops me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

At Sally, real nice sport coat, very soft, but too big 48R. Tag was Bugatchi, found Bugatchi Uomo in Italy, but this was made in Canada, possible diffusion line.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Same SA, left behind:

AE Chelsea, nice shape, 12D, marked $29.99 but 1/2 off yesterday.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sacred Cult Jeans about 35-36 waist:

[​IMG]

At the GW...Ted Baker London, too bright for me, size large:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I not really flipping, just looking for personal use, but if somethings top top notch I can pick up for anyone interested.

14. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Just an FYI: That's not a Prorsum blazer, just a plain ol' Burberry with an older tag.

15. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Four ties (wearing the Barneys of New York as I type) all for under $2.50 each:

(l to r)

Barneys , Tino Cosma, Zegna, Charvet (my first one found)
    (Woven silk) (Woven silk) Print (Woven silk)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Charvet:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.