Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

In the shape of a half-hexagon, half on each side of the rear seam?

Thanks!

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

This does me no good without at least sizes so I can call dibs! [​IMG]

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

Do you thrift in NoVa? That looks identical to the tie I've passed by the last few times.

If that JPress is 15 or 15.5 w/ a 32....dibsdibsdibs

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

4. catside

catside Senior member

Bah. If you don't need the money, get a thicker insole or put 2 and walk around like a million bucks. Those shoes are :slayer:

5. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Sizes and Pictures:

Brooks Brothers Alligator Belt, Size 38
    [​IMG][​IMG]

J Press Shirt, Size L, Fits like a small M
    [​IMG]

RL Shirt, 16.5 33
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2 x Charles Tyrwhitt, 18 37
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2 x Montagut Paris, Fits like XS
    [​IMG][​IMG]

NWOT PRL, XL
    [​IMG]

3 x NWOT Holland & Sherry, I'm assuming they are custom, so I will take measurements later
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Willis & Geiger sweater, XL
    [​IMG][​IMG]

J Victor
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tom James, Innocenti Oro
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tom James, Corporate Image, Possibly Cashmere
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tom James, Possibly Cashmere
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I have a little extra time. Would you guys like any more info?

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I'll take Mainy's word on the value. Those are gorgeous shoes.

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Argh! The problem with thrifting is you can't just pick out something you want when you want it... And eBay isn't being too helpful either. If anyone sees a solid navy tie from a decent maker that you'll flip to me for not too much it would be much appreciated.

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

edit: shit, forgot to hit submit on my post... those lattanzis are really cool looking though. 12 inches by 4.25... too small for me :fu:

also, thanks for the comments guys re the auction. I know, usually I do put the mannequin shot first - this case I wanted to show the vintage label but that's really duplicated with the 1964 in the title. The reason I didn't start at 9.99 or something is because I do free shipping for the search boost and auto-5-star-DSR, and if stuff goes for 9.99 I'll only get like 8 bucks, have to pay 12 bucks to ship it, and eat whatever I paid for it.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

DIBS!

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

...... Wow! I mean seriously, wow. Nice shoes are likely the most elusive thrift find. I'm not talking Allen Edmonds or even C&J, Polo, etc. I'm reffering to stuff like this ; uber expensive high-end stuff. Lobbs, G&G, Lattanzi, Harris, etc.

This is a grail-level score here. :worship:

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

So here are some pics and descriptions of the haul, all from today. Sorry for the pic quality; terrible lighting and terrible camera.

Ties (in order of appearahce)
    Vtg Darien Sport Shiop tie in excellent shape and relatively narrow (not that anyone wants it, but, DIBS)
    Turnbull & Asser blue stripe on red
    Brooks Brothers Maklers red/blue horizontal stripe
    Hickey Freeman Collection purple with yellow and green stripe (bit on the wide side but the colors are amazing) DIBS
    John W Nordstrom charcoal glenplaid with purple overcheck, feels cashmere or cashmere blend; I left several similar ties -- Nordstrom, Nautica, Behar -- in numerous designs that I was just a bit too cheap to pick up DIBS (I think)
    Talbott for Ed Mitchell black/gray/white box weave
    [​IMG]

Ferrucci bespoke suit in charcoal gray with red overcheck, 38R x 33x30. Tons of handwork. This is spoken for as a gift to a good friend.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Brooks Brothers 1818 khakis 36x30 (NWOT?). These beuties sung to me but when I mtried them on at home I realized they're a tad on the narrow side for my athletic frame.
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers merino sweathers in green (with collar, 100% merino) , dark navy (v neck, blend), and eggplant (v neck, blend). All size L, likeyt same donor.
    [​IMG]

Dunhill gray glenplaid with red overcheck suit. 2 btn, side vented. Trousers have 2 pleats. Size 43R x 37x31. Needs a cleaning. Still deciding if I've got dibs.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And the shirts (also in order of appearance)
    Behar orange, 16.5 x 35). available
    Brooks Bros 346 lightgreen and blue windowpane/plaid: Large
    Abboud blkue on blue micro houndstoth. (Yeah yeah, but the price was good and the size was right and the collar stance wasn't too bad) 17 x 35
    Orvis multicolor check plaid. Size L
    Joseph turner blue POW with blue overcheck. 16.5 x 36.
    Brioni grayish/brownish nailhead. Size 17x35. Note: some instances of fray, but mat seams, so possibly repairable.
    E. Zegna black gingham, size L (fits like 16.5/17
    (And the coup de grace) Loro Piana blue with dark blue and white stripoes , Linen, size L
    [​IMG]

12. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

No? Even though it says "Prorsum" on the label? I don't really understand how Burberry's lines work.

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Prorsum is a relatively recent innovation by Burberry. Many argue that it turned the brand around. I used to like their stuff very much and the majority of my wardrobe was by Prorsum before I discovered SF.

What is pictured in the OPs is just an old Burberry label, which used to include the flag with their motto on it. The label for modern Prorsum is black and gold.

14. thrift-fu

thrift-fu Active Member

Ever come across this label? Looks like a Kiton logo knockoff. It had a lot of the details of a nice suit, but looked low quality and poorly done. Felt really cheap, also. Too bad, as it fit me really well.

[​IMG]

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I've never found them in stores; I'd love to see fit pics of both. :slayer:

The only thing I wear in defiance of teh ladies are absurd tennis shoes, something I never ever wanted before reading SW&D. Shirts, not so much.

I' have found a handful of shirts that fit really well length-wise, which, even at 5'9, is immediately suspect. Brooks Bros, PRL, and the like. Whenever I think there's a chance they might be a women's or kid's shrit, I just rock 'em under the safety of a chunky knit. Maybe this is the fate of Miyake. :foo:

Same here. Not living in a baller area or anything, I just pass on the odd Loro Piana item that tumbles my way; it pays for the rest, and it's fun to swag someone else out with something that actually fits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.