• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

royskeen

Reaction score

How much did it cost to alter the sleeves at the shoulders? Thinking about having this done Thanks

It cost me $180 to have the waist suppressed and to have the sleeves altered. Don't know what costs what. But I would guess $50-60 a sleeve. I live in San Francisco.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece

Chest44
Waist40
Shoulder19
Length31
Sleeve26

Harris Tweed

Chest42
Waist40
Shoulder19
Length31
Sleeve24

Did I do any better this time? Also, these will be for sale as well if anyone is interested.

edit: Am I allowed to ask here what I should put as an asking price in Buy/Sell?

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece

Chest44
Waist40
Shoulder19
Length31
Sleeve26

Harris Tweed

Chest42
Waist40
Shoulder19
Length31
Sleeve24

Did I do any better this time? Also, these will be for sale as well if anyone is interested.

edit: Am I allowed to ask here what I should put as an asking price in Buy/Sell?

NO...I kid, but seriously spend 5 minutes and do some research on completed ebay listings. It will really benefit you more in the long run to have an idea of what stuff will sells for before you buy it (and waist money) instead of just asking what you should list every item for after you buy it.

And yes those are better, the BBGF is old tag, maybe $30-$40 on ebay and I find Harris Tweeds will sell for $40-50 easy and depending on the color/size and quality and sometimes more.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
I committed myself to a purchase free January so coming to this thread is like an alcoholic hanging out in a bar.

AND YET I KEEP COMING BACK :fu:

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
Quote:

That was the only time in the world such a find will be made. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Well, I found one E. Marinella at GW for $1.99. I was not familiar with this brand, so I left it, that same night Spoo posted his from Marshall's. Now, Imagine how I felt.

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
the bidding history looks very suspect
Why would you say that? I was thinking this guy is a SFer, I have been following him and wondering why is he able to sell any no crap for for boat load of money. Till this day he is banking $40+ for JAB suit.

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
not to fond of the seller actually, he bought a pair of nwt tom ford pants from me for 36.00 and in feedback was complaining that there were no tags and label was hanging by a thread, i mean come on, seriously????
baldy[1].gif

He bought a Hunstman Tux from me for $117 and turn around and sell it for $595. WTF

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this Levi's denim jacket today. I expect it to be vintage because it is Made in the U.S.A. and the new ones are Made in Bangladesh. I also know that some of these command a nice dollar, so I am hoping this is one of them. Is there a resident Levi's expert around?

The denim and the lining are very heavy and warm.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up this Levi's denim jacket today. I expect it to be vintage because it is Made in the U.S.A. and the new ones are Made in Bangladesh. I also know that some of these command a nice dollar, so I am hoping this is one of them. Is there a resident Levi's expert around?

The denim and the lining are very heavy and warm.

You need to find one with a red tag that reads LEVIS not Levis. Affectionately known by Levis collectors at the "Big E" Jacket, since all the letters look the same when capitalized except the E. Also look for real leather patch tags, instead of the ones made of card stock. You can still get $35-50 for yours.

This is what you are looking for.

DSC_0316.JPG

Look here for more tips. http://www.ehow.com/how_7813730_tell-old-levis-jackets.html

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ran across a lovely Brioni cashmere overcoat today in my size.

Some considerable moth damage to one sleeve. Couple of holes and a couple of tracks.

Should I buy it? Anyone try a reweaving service like Without A Trace?

Standard thrift price ($10-$30)? Definitely grab. I've never seen Brioni outerwear before.

Speaking of silk shirts, been in thrifting/SF hibernation for a while, but wanted to share a recent find. NWOT Stefano Ricci 100% Silk shirt. 16/34. Surprisingly slim fit. My size, but I am no where near baller enough to pull this off. Incredible floral pattern interwoven throughout.

Wow! Awesome find! That's an easy $200.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ Crazy finds!!
I'm no Spoo, but any Medusa head ties will do well because of the logo. Silk shirts on the other hand are a no-brainer grab.

Where art meets clothing.

What do you think of Nat Nast silk shirts? I run into these constantly yet always leave them standing on the rack. It looks like Nat Nast falls into Robert Talbott / Robert Graham territory.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
You need to find one with a red tag that reads LEVIS not Levis. Affectionately known by Levis collectors at the "Big E" Jacket, since all the letters look the same when capitalized except the E. Also look for real leather patch tags, instead of the ones made of card stock. You can still get $35-50 for yours.

This is what you are looking for.

DSC_0316.JPG

Look here for more tips. http://www.ehow.com/how_7813730_tell-old-levis-jackets.html
Thanks, I appreciate that knowledge. It's my size so I was probably going to keep it anyway. I haven't worn a denim jacket since I was like 7 though so I am going to have try and figure out how to do it without looking like this...

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good question, one of these days I will stop in and find out. :embar: They have annual clearance events as well and I have never made those either.

If you could let me know the details on the HF Outlet it would be greatly appreciated. We'll be in New York in early April (heading to Ithaca for the Cornell/Syracuse lacrosse game). I can start saving my money now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads