• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lithium180

Reaction score
Got a nice paisley patterned ETRO tie for 75 cents yesterday.

haTTer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
i actually bought it for myself, in fact all of the stuff shown was for myself as opposed to usually buying for resale

the tie is minnars connemara tweed, made in ireland

i meant, how do you differentiate between croc skin and embossed leather. I had a general idea that the scale pattern was for croc after reading a post recently about the differences, but im not sure if it is real skin or not

Try and burn it with a cigarette lighter if its plastic it will melt
blush.gif
bounce2.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahblahblah
How about shortening - do you think it is possible to shorten the sleeves of a dress shirt without ruining it?

Yes. Around 10% of all posts on MC are on this topic. Have fun searching.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Vintage Rainfair raincoat with removable wool lining. It's in perfect shape with a great glenplaid pattern. It even has a throat latch. Paid $10 for it yesterday:

p1012251lb3.jpg

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went again later today

and funny enough, i found one of those hideous versace couture shirts, this one is really really ugly, which hopefully correlates to alot of money on ebay....

307529251.jpg

307529262.jpg

and a nice pocket square and set of cuttlery

307529260.jpg

im curious, could those knives possibly have ivory handles?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I stopped in and found a fantastic dark gray London Fog trench. Don't normally go for trenches, but this one hit all my buttons. Great condition, too. Too bad it was six sizes too big. Had to leave it there, figuring the name didn't have enough appeal to make it worth selling.

chronic

Reaction score
picked up a pair of TBNY shoes from Saks Off 5th for $37. got home to find a 30% off clearance item coupon starting tomorrow...
confused.gif
oh well!
smile.gif

mohwld

Reaction score
The month of February was great at my local NR - the feeder Nordstrom went upscale a few years back, and there was a ton of high end stuff that arrived post-men's sale.

Here's a partial list of my haul -

6 Talbott 7 fold ties @ $29 each

A bunch of Zegna, Canali, Armani & Valentino ties @ $29 each (original price $135-$175)

Tramezza Fiorenza, in an antique brown $199 (original price $650)

Facconable "artisan" line loafers, in an awesome brown, $199 (original price $475)

2 pairs Zanella super 120's @ $109 each

Gucci drivers, marked "worn & resoled", but were perfect, with not even a mark on the rubber soles @ $69

Ferragamo (not sure of model, loafers with strap) marked "worn & resoled", but looked perfect with not even a mark on the rubber soles@ $69

While not thrift level prices, and I spent a ton of $$, but I think way more than my money's worth!

Nashville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Thanks, Doc. Just let me know what dates to wear it.

The buttons really are quite nice.

Thats a real nice find!!!
worship.gif

Nashville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
+1. I saw a 07 Bentley Continental GT in a thrift store parking lot the other day. This is in the Midwest too, I was slightly taken aback.

I have seen the best of cars in the thrift store lots myself. I often ran into this civil judge that loves to thrift!!

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found 4 great ties today. Two from Trimingham's Bermuda. One is wool and the other is raw silk from India. Both are hand made in London. Two other ties are not marked other than 100% silk but both are shiny with lots of slubs and self tipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads