Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^I love to see things from the real A&F.

Not clothes related, but I came across an oddity today. I picked up a Modern Library edition of Gore Vidal's Burr, not particularly well cared for, no dj. On the blank page before the half title was an unobtrusive signature. A quick Google search confirms, with two separate images, that it is, indeed, Vidal's signature. The mind boggles as to what it was doing there. I'll have to track down a dj to marry to it. Pretty decent for $1.98.

2. blahblahblah

blahblahblah Senior member

This is tremendous news. Let me ask you, can this be performed by a "tailor" at the dry cleaners? Or should I take this to the most reputable tailor I can find? My tailor is very unwilling to do work on shirts (i.e. remove pockets) and I've asked about shirt lengthening, and he refuses.

edit: inserted quotes around "tailor" at the dry cleaners.

How about shortening - do you think it is possible to shorten the sleeves of a dress shirt without ruining it?

3. sdash

sdash Active Member

^ That's one badass jacket. Abercrombie & Fitch of yore made nice things; too bad their sizing is quite generous.

Yeah, I was surprised at how generous the fit is for something from that era. I know it was designed as much for practicality as for style,* but even taking that into account it's substantially roomier than I'd expect (and, unfortunately, than I'd like) it to be.

Here's a thought -- maybe the old A&F was partially responsible for the almost-pneumatic inflation of men's clothing style over the past 50 years?

*I was tempted to say more for practicality, but from what I understand they were high-end enough that raw practicality would not have been your only concern if you were shopping there...

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

Speaking of vintage A&F, I have had this safari/field jacket sitting in my closet for a few months waiting until the weather gets warmer. I assume it's late 60s or early 70s from the label. The thing is really well-made and the back has lots of functional details like hidden zipped vents that double as a large internal pocket, and action shoulders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Picked up a raw silk Countess Mara tie that will be nice in the summer. Also saw a devistatingly ugly Versace tie probably from the 90s. I would have bought it to flip but I don't know what things like that go for.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

Also saw a devistatingly ugly Versace tie probably from the 90s. I would have bought it to flip but I don't know what things like that go for.

Those usually do well on Ebay, the really outlandish baroque-print silk shirts and ties from his early collections (the ones he designed, before he died) are highly collectible and very hideous.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Those usually do well on Ebay, the really outlandish baroque-print silk shirts and ties from his early collections (the ones he designed, before he died) are highly collectible and very hideous.

Yeah, that's the one. I could get it for $5 today or hope it's still around till next wendsday when I could get it for 2.50. Do you think I should get it? What do they go for?

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Yeah, that's the one. I could get it for $5 today or hope it's still around till next wendsday when I could get it for 2.50. Do you think I should get it? What do they go for?
    I really don't know much about what patterns do well, I've only sold a few. Black label 'Couture' is newer, white label is the older stuff. Here are a few from other ebay sellers that did well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ISW-Gianni-VERSA...QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gianni-V...QQcmdZViewItem

9. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

Wow those prices are well above what I would have thought they should have reached. Guess I'm going to be keeping my eyes open more so.
    There is a positive correlation between the ugliness of a Versace item and the price it will fetch on Ebay, whereas virtually any other brand will have the exact opposite relationship, Missoni and Coogi excluded.

11. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I've bought the odd one or two horrid ones while thrifting, I shoud take a phote and send it to you for that ebay service you offer.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Speaking of vintage A&F, I have had this safari/field jacket sitting in my closet for a few months waiting until the weather gets warmer.

:jealous:

13. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Finally took some pictures of the Gieves & Hawkes navy blazer.

Quality is high as you'd expect. I don't know if I can wear it with the sleeve length and working buttonholes though..

Any idea on a fair $ value should I sell? Fits like a slim 38.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Stopped by the local value villiage on the way home from my first day on the new job.

-NWOT RLPL Brown velvet peak-lapel blazer. 40R (dammit, I'm more of a 42-44 now)

Not a thrift find, but my 30 gig iPod and B&O A8 headphones came today that I got off the B&S forum from ghulkhan

15. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

Today was a good day for me @ C21.

2x Varvatos dress shirts NWT - $10 ea

2x YSL dress shirts NWOT - $7 ea

Isaia Napoli dress shirt NWOT - $20

- $1400 of shirts for less than $60 -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.