The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^I love to see things from the real A&F.

Not clothes related, but I came across an oddity today. I picked up a Modern Library edition of Gore Vidal's Burr, not particularly well cared for, no dj. On the blank page before the half title was an unobtrusive signature. A quick Google search confirms, with two separate images, that it is, indeed, Vidal's signature. The mind boggles as to what it was doing there. I'll have to track down a dj to marry to it. Pretty decent for $1.98.

2. blahblahblah

blahblahblah Senior member

This is tremendous news. Let me ask you, can this be performed by a "tailor" at the dry cleaners? Or should I take this to the most reputable tailor I can find? My tailor is very unwilling to do work on shirts (i.e. remove pockets) and I've asked about shirt lengthening, and he refuses.

edit: inserted quotes around "tailor" at the dry cleaners.

How about shortening - do you think it is possible to shorten the sleeves of a dress shirt without ruining it?

3. sdash

sdash Active Member

^ That's one badass jacket. Abercrombie & Fitch of yore made nice things; too bad their sizing is quite generous.

Yeah, I was surprised at how generous the fit is for something from that era. I know it was designed as much for practicality as for style,* but even taking that into account it's substantially roomier than I'd expect (and, unfortunately, than I'd like) it to be.

Here's a thought -- maybe the old A&F was partially responsible for the almost-pneumatic inflation of men's clothing style over the past 50 years?

*I was tempted to say more for practicality, but from what I understand they were high-end enough that raw practicality would not have been your only concern if you were shopping there...

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

Speaking of vintage A&F, I have had this safari/field jacket sitting in my closet for a few months waiting until the weather gets warmer. I assume it's late 60s or early 70s from the label. The thing is really well-made and the back has lots of functional details like hidden zipped vents that double as a large internal pocket, and action shoulders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Picked up a raw silk Countess Mara tie that will be nice in the summer. Also saw a devistatingly ugly Versace tie probably from the 90s. I would have bought it to flip but I don't know what things like that go for.

6. VMan

VMan Senior member

Also saw a devistatingly ugly Versace tie probably from the 90s. I would have bought it to flip but I don't know what things like that go for.

Those usually do well on Ebay, the really outlandish baroque-print silk shirts and ties from his early collections (the ones he designed, before he died) are highly collectible and very hideous.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Those usually do well on Ebay, the really outlandish baroque-print silk shirts and ties from his early collections (the ones he designed, before he died) are highly collectible and very hideous.

Yeah, that's the one. I could get it for $5 today or hope it's still around till next wendsday when I could get it for 2.50. Do you think I should get it? What do they go for?

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Yeah, that's the one. I could get it for $5 today or hope it's still around till next wendsday when I could get it for 2.50. Do you think I should get it? What do they go for?
    I really don't know much about what patterns do well, I've only sold a few. Black label 'Couture' is newer, white label is the older stuff. Here are a few from other ebay sellers that did well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ISW-Gianni-VERSA...QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gianni-V...QQcmdZViewItem

9. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

Wow those prices are well above what I would have thought they should have reached. Guess I'm going to be keeping my eyes open more so.
    There is a positive correlation between the ugliness of a Versace item and the price it will fetch on Ebay, whereas virtually any other brand will have the exact opposite relationship, Missoni and Coogi excluded.

11. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I've bought the odd one or two horrid ones while thrifting, I shoud take a phote and send it to you for that ebay service you offer.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Speaking of vintage A&F, I have had this safari/field jacket sitting in my closet for a few months waiting until the weather gets warmer.

:jealous:

13. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Finally took some pictures of the Gieves & Hawkes navy blazer.

Quality is high as you'd expect. I don't know if I can wear it with the sleeve length and working buttonholes though..

Any idea on a fair $ value should I sell? Fits like a slim 38.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Stopped by the local value villiage on the way home from my first day on the new job.

-NWOT RLPL Brown velvet peak-lapel blazer. 40R (dammit, I'm more of a 42-44 now)

Not a thrift find, but my 30 gig iPod and B&O A8 headphones came today that I got off the B&S forum from ghulkhan

15. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor

Today was a good day for me @ C21.

2x Varvatos dress shirts NWT - $10 ea

2x YSL dress shirts NWOT - $7 ea

Isaia Napoli dress shirt NWOT - $20

- $1400 of shirts for less than $60 -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.