The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I found 5 Heremes ties at my thrift today. I bought 2 of them, not because the others were ugly or in bad condition, but they were kind of expensive at $7.00 a pop.
    There was one, that was more recent with the blue label, the others were all red, so I got one of each.
    3 of them were nice red, rather simple patterns, then 2 blues.
    I bought one that was $5.00 for some reason, and another at $7.00

Nice and not bad.
    VMAN, they are at Gurnee.

2. mbell

mbell Senior member

I haven't had too many significant finds over the last few months. I got a pair of Canali navy pants for $6. They are a bit stiff. Not sure if that is from sizing or something else. They look real nice though. I got some Brooks Brothers charcoal pants for something like $3. I've been finding a lot of charcoal pants in the last several months. A couple days ago I found a light green Canali linen shirt for $5, something I had actually been looking for. Found a nice Jhane Barnes summer shirt too.

One store had about a dozen Charles Tyrwhitt shirts in a variety of very nice colors and patterns. All from the same guy and my size. Unfortunately, they had monogrammed cuffs. The monogram was MJC. My initials are MKB, so the last two letters were off by just one.

I'm curious. Has anyone ever found a monogrammed item that matched their initials? or even the initials of someone you knew?

mike

3. lithium180

lithium180 Senior member

I haven't had too many significant finds over the last few months. I got a pair of Canali navy pants for $6. They are a bit stiff. Not sure if that is from sizing or something else. They look real nice though. I got some Brooks Brothers charcoal pants for something like $3. I've been finding a lot of charcoal pants in the last several months. A couple days ago I found a light green Canali linen shirt for $5, something I had actually been looking for. Found a nice Jhane Barnes summer shirt too.

One store had about a dozen Charles Tyrwhitt shirts in a variety of very nice colors and patterns. All from the same guy and my size. Unfortunately, they had monogrammed cuffs. The monogram was MJC. My initials are MKB, so the last two letters were off by just one.

I'm curious. Has anyone ever found a monogrammed item that matched their initials? or even the initials of someone you knew?

mike

I found some really nice Davide Cenci dress shirts yesterday that were monogrammed. Too bad. Unwearable.

Someone who is better than me at math logic could calculate the possibility of finding a monogrammed shirt with your initials on it.

1 in 17,576? [​IMG]

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I found some really nice Davide Cenci dress shirts yesterday that were monogrammed. Too bad. Unwearable.

Someone who is better than me at math logic could calculate the possibility of finding a monogrammed shirt with your initials on it.

1 in 17,576? [​IMG]

This is not a simple question because some letters of the alphabet are more common than others in names. It is a longshot for anyone, but James Michael Smith has a much better chance than Ignatius Yancey Zumbrunnen. [​IMG]

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

I found 5 Heremes ties at my thrift today. I bought 2 of them, not because the others were ugly or in bad condition, but they were kind of expensive at $7.00 a pop.
    There was one, that was more recent with the blue label, the others were all red, so I got one of each.
    3 of them were nice red, rather simple patterns, then 2 blues.
    I bought one that was $5.00 for some reason, and another at $7.00

Nice and not bad.
    VMAN, they are at Gurnee.

Thanks for the heads-up, I haven't been down there in over a month, I'll have to hit it up this week. I am thinking of also hitting some of the stores around downtown Chicago - have you had any luck with those? I think there are some Value Villages and Uniques.

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up, I haven't been down there in over a month, I'll have to hit it up this week. I am thinking of also hitting some of the stores around downtown Chicago - have you had any luck with those? I think there are some Value Villages and Uniques.
    Unique? Oh man, we have one of those in Merrifield, Virginia... and it's terrible! The prices are crazy high! First of all, I guess they have to be high because they seem to have like 50 employees running around (or should I say "lounging around" the registers) but the prices are seriously through the roof. I mean, $14.99 for a Hugo Boss tie that I wouldn't buy for a dollar? $24.99 for Kenneth Cole platypus shoes (my term for square-toe) that they couldn't pay me to take out of the store? The price written on every book in indelible ink? A Brooks Brothers overcoat for $79? I mean, WTF? How do they sell anything? Are the only people that actually buy anything from Unique people that live within walking distance, don't own a car and are too lazy to take a bus to the Target or Wal-Mart? WTF?!?!??!!!

7. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

I just picked up this "custom" asian coat...It was made for a man (or perhaps woman) identical to me, minus 3 or 4 inches.

Thoughts??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Had a much better day than usual at the op shops today. Found a Canali suit in my size, just needs a little adjustment at the waist: [​IMG] Emporio Armani blazer. Too heavy a fabric to wear at this time of year, but it may come into its own as weekend wear in the winter. No alterations needed at all. [​IMG] Louis Vuitton tie in excellent condition [​IMG] No-name silk pocket square, also in excellent condition. [​IMG] Total cost = $40.

9. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Had a much better day than usual at the op shops today.

Found a Canali suit in my size, just needs a little adjustment at the waist:

[​IMG]

Emporio Armani blazer. Too heavy a fabric to wear at this time of year, but it may come into its own as weekend wear in the winter. No alterations needed at all.

[​IMG]

Louis Vuitton tie in excellent condition

[​IMG]

No-name silk pocket square, also in excellent condition.

[​IMG]

Total cost = $40.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wow that's one for the ages... nicely done! Especially the Canali and the LV tie!

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

1 in 17,576? [​IMG]

You may be able to remove the monogram and replace it with one of your own.

Feasibility depends on the color and the placement of the monogram, and the style of original sewing.

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Vintage Florsheim Imperial longwings, tan and in my size. $2

These shoes fill a hole in my shoe wardrobe. I found them at a crappy little SA which had never given up anything for me before. It just goes to show that thrifting is about persistence.

12. dshin

dshin Senior member

Picked up 2 Brooks Brothers button down collar shirts in size 16 3/4. They looked pretty much brand new and fits me well except the neck is a tad tight. I'll just have the button moved a bit. They were $5 each.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Went to the Minneapolis Salvation Army. First thing that caught my eyes was a mint Plycraft Eames lounge chair with ottoman. FUCK! It has a "not for sale sign on it". I ask the cashier if there's any way around the "not for sale". He says "Nope, it's for an office upstairs for the human resources guy....got it from the donation pile this morning!" Ugh.......damn them for getting first dibs on everything good!

14. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some good scores today, but my fiance is out of town and has the camera, so no pics.

A lovely Oxxford cashmere sportcoat and a similarly beautiful Zegna... look for both in B&S. I bought a very nice white JWNordstrom shirt in my size that looked unworn, and passed up two NWOT BB OCBDs that weren't my size. Then I scored a beautiful bespoke suit made by a tailor in Beverly Hills. There were two from the same guy and tailor, but the other one had a small moth hole, and they were $50 (!), so I only bought one. I'll need to let out the pants a bit, but the coat fits beautifully, and the pants are long enough for me (6'3"), which is unusual, even with a long coat.

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Bespoke Kilgour French and Stansbury 3 piece Navy DB made in 1959. Vintage Zegna cashmere woven tie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.