• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytor13

Reaction score
As with everything the answer is that it depends on the price you paid! I picked up 2 or 3 similar jackets for under $10 quite happily; all of my examples were made by Hickey Freeman (show me the internal label and I can tell if yours was as well). A search of sold Gieves items shows a decent trend and if it didn't you could leverage the fact that it's possibly HF as well in the listing.

Here is one of mine if you want to see if it sells tomorrow:

Thanks! I'll pick it up tomorrow, if it's still there. After all, it's only $6.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It would be like it is with me down there photographing stuff. My Wife is running the commercial steamer and prepping stuff and I'm over there going 'ooooh, I didn't realize this might be in my size.....I had better try it on before we take any pictures'. :slayer:

I missed the story on this lot?

Hartmann "Wings" diamond jacquard luggage. Mint, except one wheel needs replacement.

Dude, you got my PM about the Drakes square?

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Not much other than some ties today.

L-R
Zegna, Zegna, Canali, Canali, Georgio Armani, Zegna, Hugo Boss

Then I picked up these two Kiton 7-folds at Marshall's

And on my last stop picked up another Kiton 7-fold at the Goodwill.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hartmann "Wings" diamond jacquard luggage. Mint, except one wheel needs replacement.
43a8c1c7-b04b-4005.jpg

43a8c1c7-b064-2231.jpg

Be prepared to pay Hartmann for that wheel. I tried to get a replacement strap for one of their duffles and they would gladly ship me one for $40 US. Briggs & Riley, OTOH, overnighted a replacement coupling strap for free. I like Hartmann. I love B&R!

Last edited:

bytor13

Reaction score
As with everything the answer is that it depends on the price you paid! I picked up 2 or 3 similar jackets for under $10 quite happily; all of my examples were made by Hickey Freeman (show me the internal label and I can tell if yours was as well). A search of sold Gieves items shows a decent trend and if it didn't you could leverage the fact that it's possibly HF as well in the listing.

Here is one of mine if you want to see if it sells tomorrow:

Thanks! I'll be picking it up for $6 tomorrow.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I missed the story on this lot?

No story really - just months and months of thrifting locally and while on business. I have amassed a stockpile that needs to be worked through. :embar: I don't live in Spooville mind you, so this isn't 33% Brioni and 40% Kiton, etc. I have 12-15 Harris Tweed, 20+ Hickey Freemans (factory is here in town) 5+ Gieves & Hawkes (made by HF) and some odds and ends like J. Press, etc. Maybe half of it is middlin' stuff that will turn a profit on eBay but not worth mentioning here, like Brooks Bros.

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score

No story really - just months and months of thrifting locally and while on business. I have amassed a stockpile that needs to be worked through. :embar: I don't live in Spooville mind you, so this isn't 33% Brioni and 40% Kiton, etc. I have 12-15 Harris Tweed, 20+ Hickey Freemans (factory is here in town) 5+ Gieves & Hawkes (made by HF) and some odds and ends like J. Press, etc. Maybe half of it is middlin' stuff that will turn a profit on eBay but not worth mentioning here, like Brooks Bros.

Let me know if you have any JPress in 40S :D

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two items I forgot in last night's post, because they were actually a little earlier in the week.

I picked up a Thomas Pink ladies shirt for my wife, but it is a little small. I was really jazzed to find something nice for her - women's clothing around here seems to be even more overrun with mediocre crap than men's.:mad: I guess we will probaby try to find a friend who would actually appreciate the quality to pass it on to.

Passed on a Brooks Brothers casual jacket, kind of a bomber style, but made in Loro Piana fabric. beautiful jacket but even though the sleeves were perfect, I felt like it was too baggy in the body. Are there others out there who will make a casual jacket like this that fits better than BB, or is this as good as it gets without going really high dollar? (I've only really paid attention to quality tailored clothing, don't know the more casual clothing at all.)

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I guess this is a brag thread as I expect to make a profit but this is, shall we say, off the sartorially beaten path. Just a reminder that you don't have to be willing to wear it.......Picked these up earlier this week:

Affliction jeans - I just don't think they are me....

Good as new Diesel 100% genuine leather jeans. If these were my size I would still be in the basement with them on playing every Poison song I know on the guitar but fortunately they do not.

Which brings me to my question. I came across an unusually nice wool/cotton A&F zip up with a strange tag. It seemed to new too be from the glory days of A&F and too nice to be run of the mill. Does anyone know if this has any particular value?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good as new Diesel 100% genuine leather jeans. If these were my size I would still be in the basement with them on playing every Poison song I know on the guitar but fortunately they do not.

Are the bottoms of them slightly frayed and rolled up at the back?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't believe so - are you looking for the last piece of evidence of a Christmas Eve you wish you could forget? :slayer:

LOL no... I had the same pair and donated them :hide:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads