The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

Woah. And Eric Clapton's middle name is "Patrick", too. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton). If that's his stuff, that is amazing!

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Why does he have "Esquire" after his name?

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with his knighthood, but I really have zero clue about that. Just a guess.

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I thought that too and tried googling, but from what I can tell, that would just give him the "Sir" title.

Edit: ahhh, nevermind:

"In Britain and Ireland, it is a title of respect awarded to men of higher social rank[2] The word comes from Squire, which is an apprentice to a royal knight. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquire

Interesting. Didn't realize that.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  5. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

It's the correct form of address for those with no formal title like Lord or Doctor. Old school Savile Row style. And yes - this is a thrift clearout Eric Clapton style. Most suits were £400.

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Yeah, I edited above. Very interesting. Here in the US it's used exclusively by lawyers (and not even most of them use it...).

Wow $600 US...was this a consignment shop or a true charity shop?

7. MattR

MattR Senior member

I was going to link to that, too, haha.
    Things like this are part of why I like thrifting so much.

8. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

A true charity shop in one of the richest parts of London. Most of their stock is obscenely priced so I don't think they've even imposed a celebrity tax. They occasionally have half-off sales so I'll keep an eye on them.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

How about those Berlutis? Thats a pretty sick haul to find. And what LP outerwear was 200?

Just a little sample of whats around, thought I would take some pics to show you...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I didn't get any of these)

10. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Wow, Spoo lives in the high rent district!! If anyone wants to come over and help me photograph you are more than welcome. Perhaps I should just charge admission to thrifters seeking the thrill of the good find but without the time investment.......kind of like those bass fishing ponds that are stocked and you are guaranteed to catch a fish.

[​IMG]

The other rack...

[​IMG]

Some shirts...

[​IMG]

And since I spoke of them previously here are the Alden 911's I found in 12D. I have a few PMs on these already but will update the thread if they all fall through and they are up for grabs. Just some eye candy to get you out the door and down to your local store....

[​IMG]

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

^ That yellow Barbera looks awesome!

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

No doubt that's his. Can't be very many EP Clapton's in London that can afford $4,000, 3-piece suits. I'm guessing there's just one :D

13. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Here are my finds from last week. Sorry for the terrible, terrible pictures. Although I feel some sense of pride in having accumulated these for around $100, my wardrobe is now excessive bordering on pathological. How the hell did I get from Hush Puppies to five pairs of Westons as "walking-around shoes"?

Shirts: Top row (left to right): Paul Smith PS, Prada, Corneliani, T&A, BB. Bottom row (left to right): Zegna Su Misura, Attolini, Etro, Canali, Zegna Su Misura, Truzzi.

[​IMG]

Shoes: Top row (left to right): Magli loafer, Weston derby in black, Weston derby in cordovan. Bottom row: Ferragamo plain-toed oxford, Ferragamo loafer.

[​IMG]

14. catside

catside Senior member

Eric Clapton is amazing! :slayer: Incredible find. Too bad you could not buy any. That Huntsman should be worth something with his name on it.

Happy New Year guys. Godspeed Hunters.

15. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

HIckey Freeman grey/blue windowpane suit 42r (keeper)
    Hickey Freeman blue staple suit with surgeon's cuffs 42r (keeper)
    Ethimo cashmere unlined tie (keeper) which is weird because the only "Ethimo" I can find online is an Italian furniture store
    Luca D'Alteri wool tie (keeper)

and the topper:

Super 150s light grey Saks Fifth Avenue (orphaned) jacket made by......Kiton. Absolutely stunning jacket, even if orphaned. And I ransacked the store trying to find the pants to no avail and I know I wouldn't have just overlooked them because the jacket is, get this, a friggin size 66. I guess that's a European size which would make it about a 56 American. It is most definitely a big man's jacket. The label says it is a drop 17....17. Has to be one of the Redskins or Wizards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.