• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that too and tried googling, but from what I can tell, that would just give him the "Sir" title.

Edit: ahhh, nevermind:

"In Britain and Ireland, it is a title of respect awarded to men of higher social rank[2] The word comes from Squire, which is an apprentice to a royal knight. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquire

Interesting. Didn't realize that.
The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with his knighthood, but I really have zero clue about that. Just a guess.

Last edited:

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why does he have "Esquire" after his name?
It's the correct form of address for those with no formal title like Lord or Doctor. Old school Savile Row style. And yes - this is a thrift clearout Eric Clapton style. Most suits were £400.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I edited above. Very interesting. Here in the US it's used exclusively by lawyers (and not even most of them use it...).

Wow $600 US...was this a consignment shop or a true charity shop?

It's the correct form of address for those with no formal title like Lord or Doctor. Old school Savile Row style.
And yes - this is a thrift clearout Eric Clapton style. Most suits were £400.

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score

I thought that too and tried googling, but from what I can tell, that would just give him the "Sir" title. Edit: ahhh, nevermind: "In Britain and Ireland, it is a title of respect awarded to men of higher social rank [2] The word comes from Squire , which is an apprentice to a royal knight . " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquire Interesting. Didn't realize that.
I was going to link to that, too, haha.
It's the correct form of address for those with no formal title like Lord or Doctor. Old school Savile Row style. And yes - this is a thrift clearout Eric Clapton style. Most suits were £400.
Things like this are part of why I like thrifting so much.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I edited above.  Very interesting.  Here in the US it's used exclusively by lawyers (and not even most of them use it...).

Wow $600 US...was this a consignment shop or a true charity shop?

A true charity shop in one of the richest parts of London. Most of their stock is obscenely priced so I don't think they've even imposed a celebrity tax. They occasionally have half-off sales so I'll keep an eye on them.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A true charity shop in one of the richest parts of London. Most of their stock is obscenely priced so I don't think they've even imposed a celebrity tax. They occasionally have half-off sales so I'll keep an eye on them.

How about those Berlutis? Thats a pretty sick haul to find. And what LP outerwear was 200?

Just a little sample of whats around, thought I would take some pics to show you...
ca2cfd2c.jpg

10a3d711.jpg

1fe2c6cc.jpg

f7f67335.jpg

c9a27db8.jpg

25d1d59c.jpg

683202b4.jpg

(I didn't get any of these)

Last edited:

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, Spoo lives in the high rent district!! If anyone wants to come over and help me photograph you are more than welcome. Perhaps I should just charge admission to thrifters seeking the thrill of the good find but without the time investment.......kind of like those bass fishing ponds that are stocked and you are guaranteed to catch a fish.

The other rack...

Some shirts...

And since I spoke of them previously here are the Alden 911's I found in 12D. I have a few PMs on these already but will update the thread if they all fall through and they are up for grabs. Just some eye candy to get you out the door and down to your local store....

tonylamer

Reaction score
Here are my finds from last week. Sorry for the terrible, terrible pictures. Although I feel some sense of pride in having accumulated these for around $100, my wardrobe is now excessive bordering on pathological. How the hell did I get from Hush Puppies to five pairs of Westons as "walking-around shoes"?

Shirts: Top row (left to right): Paul Smith PS, Prada, Corneliani, T&A, BB. Bottom row (left to right): Zegna Su Misura, Attolini, Etro, Canali, Zegna Su Misura, Truzzi.

Shoes: Top row (left to right): Magli loafer, Weston derby in black, Weston derby in cordovan. Bottom row: Ferragamo plain-toed oxford, Ferragamo loafer.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eric Clapton is amazing! :slayer: Incredible find. Too bad you could not buy any. That Huntsman should be worth something with his name on it.

Happy New Year guys. Godspeed Hunters.

Last edited:

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
HIckey Freeman grey/blue windowpane suit 42r (keeper)
Hickey Freeman blue staple suit with surgeon's cuffs 42r (keeper)
Ethimo cashmere unlined tie (keeper) which is weird because the only "Ethimo" I can find online is an Italian furniture store
Luca D'Alteri wool tie (keeper)

and the topper:

Super 150s light grey Saks Fifth Avenue (orphaned) jacket made by......Kiton. Absolutely stunning jacket, even if orphaned. And I ransacked the store trying to find the pants to no avail and I know I wouldn't have just overlooked them because the jacket is, get this, a friggin size 66. I guess that's a European size which would make it about a 56 American. It is most definitely a big man's jacket. The label says it is a drop 17....17. Has to be one of the Redskins or Wizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads