• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
eBay dosent scare me, but it does suck and the fees suck big time! Unfortunately I have had little to no luck selling stuff on the forum since we switch over to this new format so 95% of the things I have sold have been though ebay. I would say 1:20 items I have some kind of problem, but just bite the bullet and take the hit, usually just getting stuck for shipping. If you follow the ebay/paypal rules to the "t" then I have never really had any fraud problems. Also only ship to confirmed address, use tracing, signatures and insurance when needed, etc. I also don't accept offers (as i do mostly BINOBO from people with 0 or lower feedback and check feedback history both for them and what they left before accepting offers. Again, just my opinion but if the Tweeds are nice and you want to flip them for a few bucks they are better then most of the crap you will find thrifting and I dont see much issue with fraud to flip a $40 jacket.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a Loro Piana shirt in the store room of one of my favourite op shops a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd go back today to see if they'd brought out any more shirts. Found two plain white Brioni shirts in my size.

While I was there I also picked up some Zegna Sport casual pants and a pair of J. Crew chinos for my son.

At another place I found a real bargain - a pair of NWOT black wool dress pants from a local firm called Rhodes and Beckett. It wasn't until I got them home that I saw the half inch rip in the front of the knee. :brick:

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eBay dosent scare me, but it does suck and the fees suck big time! Unfortunately I have had little to no luck selling stuff on the forum since we switch over to this new format so 95% of the things I have sold have been though ebay. I would say 1:20 items I have some kind of problem, but just bite the bullet and take the hit, usually just getting stuck for shipping. If you follow the ebay/paypal rules to the "t" then I have never really had any fraud problems. Also only ship to confirmed address, use tracing, signatures and insurance when needed, etc. I also don't accept offers (as i do mostly BINOBO from people with 0 or lower feedback and check feedback history both for them and what they left before accepting offers. Again, just my opinion but if the Tweeds are nice and you want to flip them for a few bucks they are better then most of the crap you will find thrifting and I dont see much issue with fraud to flip a $40 jacket.

how should one go about building positive feedback? I need to make some quick cash and flipping seems like a nice way to do it on the side... but i have yet to have an ebay account.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how should one go about building positive feedback? I need to make some quick cash and flipping seems like a nice way to do it on the side... but i have yet to have an ebay account.

You can only do that through making lots of sales and getting your buyers to really like your service. Or by buying lots of stuff and paying quickly.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the quanlity back then was just unbelievable,  just looking at the discoloration of the tag, I would say this coat is probably from that era... Must have been kept really well.

+1

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I found a Loro Piana shirt in the store room of one of my favourite op shops a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd go back today to see if they'd brought out any more shirts. Found two plain white Brioni shirts in my size.
While I was there I also picked up some Zegna Sport casual pants and a pair of J. Crew chinos for my son.
At another place I found a real bargain - a pair of NWOT black wool dress pants from a local firm called Rhodes and Beckett. It wasn't until I got them home that I saw the half inch rip in the front of the knee.
baldy[1].gif

great finds.

MattR

Reaction score

I think that's some very good advice. And I don't have any experience selling there (yet), but I actually would still worry about it with a lower priced item, because if I'm trying to commit fraud, at least in my mind, a seller is less likely to take the time to try and get the money and/or item back. Then again, that's just me, and maybe fraudsters are looking for higher priced items so they can flip (see Nataku's ****** situation).

And you're completely right on the B&S. Maybe I just came too late to the party, but I've had zero bites with quality items. C'est la vie.

nohio

Reaction score

Maybe I just came too late to the party, but I've had zero bites with quality items. C'est la vie.

No offense, but a brown odd jacket, a damaged mid-brand tweed, and used pajamas are not exactly hot items. I think your photos don't really help you either. The angles and blurriness make it difficult to get a sense of the item.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
If you just want quick pos feedback, but the cheapest things you can and pay right away, 99 cent things with free shipping, etc, but it takes time. If you sell you'll only get feedback from 1/2 the people anyway. I have close to 1000 transactions on ebay with 370 feedback and I also buy stuff so say 300 of 900 leave feedback, closer to 30% then 50%

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense, but a brown odd jacket, a damaged mid-brand tweed, and used pajamas are not exactly hot items. I think your photos don't really help you either. The angles and blurriness make it difficult to get a sense of the item.

+1. I think the seller concerned needs to think about what he understands as 'quality' in comparison to what else gets offered here.

MattR

Reaction score

+1. I think the seller concerned needs to think about what he understands as 'quality' in comparison to what else gets offered here.

That's fair enough. And in retrospect, "quality" wasn't the best adjective for everything I have, although I disagree about the PRL blazer being less than a quality item. It's not Kiton, Brioni, etc., sure. But it's not trash, either. Thank you for the tips on the photos, though. I'm pretty new at all of this, so I think retaking them would be in order.

In any case, picked up a pair of black AE Hillcrests today. Fit me like a glove. Had a lot of near hits, but, as usual, some flaw made me set them back.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my best recent finds at Goodwill:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Photos are everything when selling online. Let the buyer know exactly what they are getting in return for their bucks. Pictures are worth 1000 words. With that said, I need to work on this category too. My photos suck, as I'm using an ancient Kodak digital camera that washes out color, has no happy medium for lighting (makes natural lighting look so much darker and the flash whitewashes everything) and it's been dropped 50+ times. I have a nicer Lumix one, just keep forgetting to bring it with when I take my photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads